Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Stomach Pumps

From Lancaster, Pa
Does anyone use these to see what the trout are really eating?

Posted on: 2013/9/21 8:42

Re: Stomach Pumps

From Bethlehem, PA
a friend of mine had one and we decided to use it once. kind of interesting to see 200 size 32 midges packed into a 7" trout. I am sort of against it overall, but it was neat to see.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 8:47

From Pittsburgh
I've never had any desire to pump the stomach on any fish. I just want to get it back in the water as quickly as possible, without any further stress.
I also kinda wonder how much good it does anyway.
Just because you find out what one certain fish is eating, doesn't necessarily mean that the other ones are eating the same thing.
Many times I've started fishing a spot, and caught 1 - or maybe 2 - fish on a certain fly. And after having thought I knew what they were eating - then having that fly get refused by all of the other fish.
It happens quite often

Posted on: 2013/9/21 11:26

From Carbon County
I thought about getting one in the past but decided against it because you're basically just stealing a trouts lunch to make it easier for you to figure out what they are eating. Not to mention putting more stress on the fish and possibly hurting/killing it. Just my opinion though.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 11:29

From LV
I always thought that it would cause less pain to the trout if you killed it outright than pump it's stomach. Biologists don't use them, neither should we.
If you catch a fish, you know what it was taking. and besides, what one trout is taking isn't necessarily what the next trout is taking, so are you going to pump the stomachs of all the trout you catch?

Posted on: 2013/9/21 11:51

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I always thought that it would cause less pain to the trout if you killed it outright than pump it's stomach. Biologists don't use them, neither should we.
If you catch a fish, you know what it was taking. and besides, what one trout is taking isn't necessarily what the next trout is taking, so are you going to pump the stomachs of all the trout you catch?

I agree.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 12:32

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From South Central,PA
I figure a trout probably wont eat for a while after being caught. So if you pump their stomach they are being deprived of the food before AND after the catch. Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 12:40

From Harrisburg
It basically comes down to this: If you are 100% absolutely going to find out what's in a trout's stomach because you are scientifically interested or absolutely have-got-to-know, I think almost everyone would prefer that you'd pump their stomach instead of killing them each time you go fishing.

But if you are like almost all fishermen- you don't need that info. I don't want it because it costs the trout quite a bit to get it either way.

Don't use one. When you pull a few stockies for the pan 2 or 3 times a year- check it out then.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 12:45

From Monessen, PA
Don't pump the stomach of an unhealthy trout. Otherwise, the harm is not as great as being portrayed. That's my 2 cents. You will not do it more than a handful of times, I assure you.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 12:45

The percentage of people who buy stomach pumps who continue to use them with any regularity is probably very low.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 12:52

No. The thought has never even crossed my mind.

I look at it this way. First off I find it extremely invasive. Secondly, each bit of food that fish eats takes energy for it to catch and consume. Then you hook that fish, taking more energy from it. Once landed you proceed to steal all the food its collected through the day. Now not only is the fish recovering from the stress of being caught, it is currently at a major negative on the energy exerted vs potential energy consumed.

Lastly, I noticed your avatar, please don't subject native, or wild, fish to stomach pumping.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 13:03
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Gettysburg
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here.
(For the record, I carry a stomach pump in my vest - haven't used it in years):

A gentle flush of water into a trout's mouth and upper gullet to wash out some tiny insects isn't going to do the fish any harm (emphasis on gentle of course). While I can't remember the last time I used mine.....a pump cam be a useful tool in understanding trout behavior and habits.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 13:23

From SW PA
I had one, and used it a few times. But never once did I use it and had that " Ah ha!" moment. Eventually the little turkey baster bulb disintegrated in my vest and I threw the tube away.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 17:18

From Ohio
Quote:
I've never had any desire to pump the stomach on any fish. I just want to get it back in the water as quickly as possible, without any further stress.

Agreed.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 21:21

From Ferguson Twp.
^Yep^...

Posted on: 2013/9/21 21:43

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com