steelhead line

T

trico

i'm heading up to pulaski in october to pop my cherry, i'm hearing the lines take a real beating, is it worth buying a good line? or should i run something cheaper?
3wt -orvis wonderline
5wt- wulff triangle taper
8wt- pending!
thanks all...

if your doing he salmonyou'll most likely be doing chucking and flopping lead using heavy slinkys. best thing for this is a running line. that's if the stream is running fast and deep which is usually is. reverse a weight foward line to used the running line section. no need to buy a new line. strip line into a basket and flip the weight and fly like your casting a spinning rod. this is the most efficient method when its high and fast.

I use an 8wt rod, 10'. I use a weight forward line and your line will last unless a salmon takes your line and all your backing. It can happen. Also, you don't need an expensive line the cheap cortlands will do. Just make sure you can tie a good knot because you will need it...........good luck and have a blast.

Yep, find a cheap or "discontinued" - " close out" priced line.
That's one place where your line takes a beating.
You'd be wise to take a spare, too. I've shredded a couple of lines there in the past.
I use 30lb gel spun backing with an albright knot.

http://www.fortackle.com/

factory seconds...(i have a few and been please) for $8.50. If you forsee abusing a line, you can't beat this price. If you plan on using it as a second line you can't beat it either. Fast free shipping. I always reccomend these guys. Look for the "$8.50 line" link.

I use a nice WF Floating line so that I can mend and avoid using all that stupid slinky stuff. No need for it when you are fishing properly. Use Bead Head Flies and a small shot on the line to help break the surface tension.

You may want to try this. Reverse the WF line and fish with the running line (smaller diameter line for shooting). “Chuck & duck” cast and mend upstream. Use the hand twist method to keep a very slight tension on the line. When you flies are near the bottom the thinner line in your hand allows you feel the bottom or feel hits. Follow the line downstream with the tip of the rod and feed line until end of the drift. Strip in the line and “chuck and duck” again, or depending on the water, you can use the tension from the current to load your rod and flip it up and across stream.

As well as watching your line for movement, the smaller diameter line gives you the added sense of feel. Also the thinner line is less buoyant, and allows the rig to run deeper. Not pretty….but pretty effective. Good luck.

Back