Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: split shot/ weights

From Da 'Berg, PA
I leave the tag end on the tippet and crimp shot there.

I don't use micro shot. If I want to fish just sub surface I dress the tippet or dropper with snake river mud - or you can buy Fullers Earth from craft stores for a $1 for an ounce.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:36

From York, PA
I have been using regular old lead split shot. Recommendation from Hammertime-lately I've been using a blood knot about 12" north of my first nymph and it keeps the shot from sliding into my flies.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:47

From Clearville Pa
most of the time i put the weight in my flies

Posted on: 2013/7/3 14:33

From Pipersville Pa.
I almost never use shot. I prefer the twist on strips. Just pul off a snall pc twinst on and go. I have been using them for years. They really stay on and don't seem to get snagged as much as shot.
Just my 2 cents.

GenCon

Posted on: 2013/7/3 15:01

From Philadelphia
I have usually put my weight on the flies. The problem is...well...it is what it is and unless I want it heavier I'm stuck with what I put on. Using shot, which is a royal pain all around, let's the unweighted fly dance a bit more realistically (imho) tham the flies I weight on the hook.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/7/3 16:17

From Chadds Ford, PA
Quote:

GenCon wrote:
I almost never use shot. I prefer the twist on strips. Just pul off a snall pc twinst on and go. I have been using them for years. They really stay on and don't seem to get snagged as much as shot.
Just my 2 cents.

GenCon

Been using these strips forever. Very simple to tie on and, more importantly, take off.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:27

From Ferguson Twp.
I have used Dinsmores shot since I started FF, and have found them to be a pita to change for most of that time. I've tried the putty, it works well when it's warm but I do like it. I just recently started using plain old split shot you know ( god forbid) the kind that is used with spinning outfits. I wanted to use them for years but never did because I'm FF not spin fishing. ( besides I already had a bunch of the dinsmores )The ease of changing the shot weight to match the changing depth and current speed is fantastic, I wish I would have done this years ago. I himmed and hawed about it for a long time until a conversation I had with Joe H. I carry bb, b, and #7. Yea I know #7 is big, there are sections I fish where that and some bead heads get me where I want to be.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 22:16

I've acquired a lot of split shot assortments over the years, including several containers of Plomatic micro shot, which I use on a regular basis.

But here is something interesting I discovered this year: I started using Gremlin removable non-toxic split shot, size B and BB. Early -mid spring. I used it with excellent success, got me down to the bottom-bumping fish zone. But here is the kicker: I lost only one fly on the bottom this year with this shot, and it was to a submerged branch. Coincidence? Luck? An aberration? I don't know.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 22:56

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Welcome to the board. I like to use Blackbird brand shot available here: http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Blackbird-Split-Shot

I get the dispenser with sizes BB-1 and BB-3.
1) I like the dispenser.
2) The shot is not shiny, so it doesn't spook fish.

You might also want some micro-shot to supplement as the blackbird stuff is pretty large.

Great running into you on the stream Thursday!

Posted on: 2013/7/5 9:55

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

albatross wrote:
Welcome to the board. I like to use Blackbird brand shot available here: http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Blackbird-Split-Shot

I get the dispenser with sizes BB-1 and BB-3.
1) I like the dispenser.
2) The shot is not shiny, so it doesn't spook fish.

You might also want some micro-shot to supplement as the blackbird stuff is pretty large.

Great running into you on the stream Thursday!
I also use "Blackbird" shot for the same reasons. However I include shot sizes 2 and 4 also and then supplement with several sizes of micro shot. I very seldom build weight into the fly and prefer to adjust the shot on my line to conditions

Posted on: 2013/7/6 22:15

thanks for the info.. seems like this is something that will be a trial and error experiment.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 20:43

Indeed, good running into you! Glad you found me!

Posted on: 2013/7/7 20:49

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
41 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com