Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Split Bamboo Rods

From harlansburg
I'll second what springer says, I actually went to glass from bamboo, similar action but not as heavy. I love my mcfarlands and Paddocks, but I also have some vintage glass that are wonderful casting tools, my cortlands and phillipson are awesome!

along with southbends, someother good bamboo values can be montagues, heddons. Don't look for sport kings, I think those are the ones shakey likes and he'll chase you with his guitar if you buy one out from under him!
I've redone quite a few older rods, amazing what fine looking rods can be hiding under frazzled wraps and peeling varnish, so don't always let looks scare you away. if the rod is straight and solid, the cosmetics can be dealt with.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 7:30

From philadelphia
funny,but true,haha!

if you really have the patience you can do well on the bay.sometimes that means putting in long hours of finding rods that are labeled wrong.

for example,my first decent fishable bamboo rod was labeled as telescopic,even though it was not a telescopic rod.i guess everybody else did not study the pics well enough.

i don't want to give away all my bamboo search secrets but i'll give a reel example.

i collect eagle claw medallion reels.the first two i bought were about four dollars apiece,i think,because eagle and claw were merged into one word,eagleclaw.

good luck,but also think of my wife's sage advice."you seek out ten forty dollar rods,but you could buy one four hundred dollar rod and be happy with it."she's brilliant like that.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 12:54

From Other side of the tracks
I've read some of the responses and I have just one thing to say.

Where the hell were you Tim when I was getting into vintage Bamboo?

I agree with what Tim said. I've also had pretty good luck on Ebay. Everything was as advertised with the exception of one (cracked ferrule) and the seller made good on it. But you have to be careful and weed out the obvious deceptive ones.

The best advice is ASK QUESTIONS!

Posted on: 2012/2/20 13:45

From SW PA/Tioga
My advice for buying a split cane rod is to know the exact taper you which to fish with before buying.

Bamboo is just another material. It is a natural material and it can be beautiful. It has some other properties that make it quite a bit different than the man made materials used to make rods.

The material a rod is made out of has much less to do with how it reacts in your hand than how that material is shaped.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 16:04

I was checking out different South Bend rods last nite because they seem the most common and priced less than 1 dirty. 2 tips is a must for me but most item descriptions are so vague I have no idea what weight I am looking at. 9' rods for about $70 seems the most common including shipping. How can I tell what I'm looking at?

Posted on: 2012/2/20 16:24

From Chadds Ford, PA
Just keeps getting better!!!!! Thanks everyone. Great information and not one smart as# remark in the entire thread. Hopefully, I'll have something to contribute soon.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 18:28

From SW PA/Tioga
englishprof and/or littlelehigh,

If you want to try a cane rod I have rods you can try to see if there is something you like.

I get it. You want to try a cane rod to see what the buzz is about, but you don't want to spend $1000 on a rod you don't want to sleep with.

So you are looking at cheap rods. The cheap rods are cheap because supply of old southbend 9' 6/7 weights is far greater than demand.

The demand is low because no one wants to fish with those rods. A 9' cane rod is heavy. I have a 8' 6 weight and that is heavy. But at least it is a Paul Young Para 15 taper semi-parabolic where the weight of the rod helps you cast. Cheap production rods not so much.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 19:43

I would have to agree with Short on this one... Although there is a place for 9' 6/7 wt rods in my opinion it is not on most PA trout streams. If you grab a long heavy inexpensive bamboo rod in my eyes you may not really know what bamboo can really do. The most important thing to do is cast as many rods as you can. Being a natural material generally made by an individual craftsman no two rods will ever be exactly the same.
I would also volunteer to let forum members cast a few rods if you like. I spend probably to much time on the Yellow Breeches often at Allenberry which has lots of room to cast rods.. PM me if someone wants to play with some Bamboo....

Bill A

Posted on: 2012/2/21 9:26

From philadelphia
i would like to let those wanting to try bamboo know,at the jams we often have little informal casting sessions wherein we pass around rods and try them.

very often they are real rods,but people use graphite too. :)

Posted on: 2012/2/21 14:05

Quote:

littlelehigh wrote:
I was checking out different South Bend rods last nite because they seem the most common and priced less than 1 dirty. 2 tips is a must for me but most item descriptions are so vague I have no idea what weight I am looking at. 9' rods for about $70 seems the most common including shipping. How can I tell what I'm looking at?

LL, what you might need is a book to help you identify different manufacturers and different models. I can't remember the one book that I found useful, but it was like a yellow binder. It was more about restoring old rods, but had a lot of history in it as well.

Then what you need to do is ask questions from the seller. Sometimes the rod is labeled, or has a partial label, or even just a shadow of a label. If not, all is not lost.

Ask the seller for closeup shots of ferrules, reel seats, grips, whatever might help identify the rod.

South Bend is mentioned quite a bit. I am not a fan of their ferrules. I've broken rods at the ferrule. It could be just me, but I've had bad luck. Poor design IMO. That includes Shakespeare made by South Bend.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:36

Quote:

englishprof wrote:
Just keeps getting better!!!!! Thanks everyone. Great information and not one smart as# remark in the entire thread.

I'm waiting for the right moment.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:37

Quote:

pafisherman wrote:
I would have to agree with Short on this one... Although there is a place for 9' 6/7 wt rods in my opinion it is not on most PA trout streams. If you grab a long heavy inexpensive bamboo rod in my eyes you may not really know what bamboo can really do. The most important thing to do is cast as many rods as you can. Being a natural material generally made by an individual craftsman no two rods will ever be exactly the same.
I would also volunteer to let forum members cast a few rods if you like. I spend probably to much time on the Yellow Breeches often at Allenberry which has lots of room to cast rods.. PM me if someone wants to play with some Bamboo....

Bill A

I'm gonna agree with him too and you as well for the most part. But there were some pretty decent production rods as well if you know what to look for. They will however cost more than the 9 foot South Bend unless you get extremely lucky.

H-I Tonka Queen comes to mind. Damn nice dry fly rod without paying the price for a Leonard. Still quite a bit more than your run of the mill generic 9 footer. Unfortunately I only have the butt section. Some day I will make two tip sections for it. Not hard to find the tapers.

Also, don't forget that many of those famous rod makers got their start at the big rod companies.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:48

Craigslist is a good place to check too, although you have to be patient and search all major cities, try crazedlist.org to do this, it's a great tool to use. I was able to find a decent condition (fishable) South Bend 290 with two tips for a price of $125 shipped from California. Some day I'll get around to rewrapping, refinishing it....

Posted on: 2012/2/21 16:01

From Juneau, Alaska
The classified section of the classicflyrod forum posted above might also be a good place to haunt for a cane rod. I watched for quite a while and bought my first this past December. I had been toying with the idea for many years and finally dove in (way over my head). I'm going to be spending a month mid Sept to mid Oct in our RV parked near Bellefonte. Looking forward to both discovering/fishing PA water and fishing the new (used) rod. I have always enjoyed a slow rod. Ended up with a Mike Clark South Creek 8 1/2ft 5wt. Not a bit of buyers remorse.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 17:51

From glen rock, pa
I got a 6' windstream bamboo off eBay for $60! It is a great rod a d is brand new. It took a lot of lookin to find one with the right action but I love it!

Posted on: 2012/2/22 9:05

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com