So you've got a chest pack. What about your net?

greenlander

greenlander

Last season I ditched the vest for a waist/chest pack, which I've been pretty happy with.

One major issue, however, has been what to do with my net. I've been clumsily attaching it to the plastic piece that joins together the straps of my waders behind my neck -- but this is uncomfortable and annoying at best.

Has anyone come up with a solution on how to manage your net when using a waist/chest pack?

I have tried those net zingers, but my rubber net weights too much and it doesn't work too well. Now I just clip it to the strap on my pack on my side. It's as good as it gets for me right now.

It's starting to drive me crazy. Actually considering going back to a vest over it.

My warm weather get-up shuns the vest in favor of a lanyard. I attached one of those magentic net holders to the back of the lanyard and I'm ready to go. You could add that to your setup.

Get a magnetic net holder similar to the one below and add a carabiner to the top ring which is attached to the D Ring on this vest.

I slip my wading belt through the carabiner. This has worked well for me over the years.

Attachments

• magnetic net holder.jpg
    magnetic net holder.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 7
If I'm bait fishing, I have a vest. But for right now when I fly fish I just have a little over the shoulder type box that has my flies and such. I've been attaching my net to my belt or belt loop. But now that I'm getting chest waders, it'll stay in the same vicinity and clip right to the wading belt in the back.

I ditched the net a year ago. I feel its only necessary if u want to keep fish to eat or feel you must take a pic of every fish. When I used my net the fish would just roll in the net and tangle me up. With a barbless hook when they get close its easier to unhook them without the net.

Funny story, my brother was fishing the Kish tournament this weekend (they have a 1000$ tagged fish plus a bunch others for 25$) and lost a fish at his feet that had a tag in it! He didn't have a net! Something like that it would pay to have a net.

nets get tangled in the bushes , i'd rather fish than **** with untangling them , they are only usefull in late summer when fishing 7x tippet with dries in my opinion , i actually hope most fish release themselves after a good battle !

I use an over the shoulder, messenger style, bag.

I connect the net with a magnetic release to my wading belt.

New chest pack this year. Never carry a net. I don't feel I need to bring a trout in all the way in with a net. If I can touch them and they get off I still count that as a catch.

Magnetic net release is the way to go and Allenflyfishing has one for $10.

I got mine for $25 and it was one of the best purchase I've ever made.

I attach my net to the top of my chestpack's backpack.

Some fishing shirts have a loop on the back of the shirt you could clip on the net holder. Probably not a good long term solution but I am sure it would work on a few outings. Same with jackets.

If i carry the net i use the same method as jaybo, caribiner with magnetic release clipped to my wading belt

nimrod wrote:
My warm weather get-up shuns the vest in favor of a lanyard. I attached one of those magentic net holders to the back of the lanyard and I'm ready to go. You could add that to your setup.

I've been considering a lanyard, and thought about attaching the net to that, but quickly dismissed that idea thinking the net would just end up pulling the lanyard down my back and end up pulling the lanyard up against my throat. How is it this doesn't happen?

Also -- did you make your own lanyard or buy one of the ones out there?

I have a magnetic release, I just need a good place to attach it. I suppose I'll look into attaching it to the strap on the wait pack I have.

I also considered ditching the net, as many of you have suggested, but I simply prefer to have it. I have a rubber net which has eliminated snags once the fish are in the net, and that being the case I feel that it helps the fish to use the net. I can land them quicker, thus playing them for shorter periods of time, and can reduce handling.

Certainly there's something to be said for no net/no handling, but for me personally the net seems to allow me to take better care of the fish.

greenlander wrote:
nimrod wrote:

I've been considering a lanyard, and thought about attaching the net to that, but quickly dismissed that idea thinking the net would just end up pulling the lanyard down my back and end up pulling the lanyard up against my throat. How is it this doesn't happen?

Also -- did you make your own lanyard or buy one of the ones out there?

I bought a lanyard at Cabela's. I have a rubber net. Between the weight of the lanyard, 4-5 spools of tippet, a clipper and pliers attached to it it's "heavy" enough that the net doesn't pull it.

Back