So many rod choices

M

mthwsolocam

Just looking for some help on picking out a new rod. I am looking for a 4 wt 8'6"-9' fast action possibly a medium action rod. Packabilitly is not an big deal. I like a 2 piece. Price range is $325 and less .I do alot of nymphing for trout and like to throw a dry around from time to time. So far the rods i have in mind are the Sage flight, Orvis TLS power matrix, Winston Vapor, St croix legend ultra and imperial. But i am open to suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mthwsolocam,

A nice selection of rods to try. I'll add one to your list. G Loomis Streamdance Metolius. It's no longer produced, but Anglers Pro in Souderton, PA still has some in stock. I own this rod (8.5' 4wt) and fish it often. It is a true med/fast rod, that works well for nymphing or dries in meduim sized streams. Try them all if you can, before you decide. Good luck.

http://www.anglers-pro.com/cgi-bin/cat/08561.html

I looked into the g.loomis a little out of my price range but still a very nice looking rod. I have only one fly shop around my place it is an orvis shop. I have to order rods i want to test cast and then send them back if they are not what i am looking for. I have the sage flight right now that i ordered it is a nice looking rod and casts well a little stiffer than i want, also it is the diameter of most 5wt or 6wt rods not what i think a true 4 wt should be and it is slightly heavy. I need all the help i can get. I have never fished anything but orvis and i want to find out from some of you what these other 4wt rods are about. Thanks

Redington is owned by Sage and the rods are decent. I’ve also heard some good things about Echo and Targus rods, they are in your price range too. You may want to check them out.

Have you looked at any TFO's? You can get the Lefty Kreh Ticr X series for about 225, they make it in a 9' 4 wt. and it is fast action. You have their no fault lifetime warranty with it as well.

Very interesting i had no clue redington was owned by sage.I have looked into the TFO's as well. I know my new rod wont go far from home just to my local streams and native tributaries a two piece is what i would realy like. Wondering if anyone here could tell me what 4wt rod they fish in my price range ($0-$325)? Anyone ever fish the sage flight?

I would suggest going to your local fly shop and casting some of the rod you are looking at and get what feels best for you. I have a sage flight 3wt 8'6" it's a nice rod fast action.

I have cast alot of rods in the past two days and i am learning quick there are alot of good rods out there right now. How do you like the 3wt? how does it handle larger fish. I have the 4wt right now and i havent fully decided what i do and dont like about it i have never owned a tip flex and it just feels different. I tried out a friends T3 today in the yard i realy like the feel of the rod it is everything i want in a fly rod. Out of my price range though anyone know where i can get one for around 300 or less.?

Mthwsolcam wrote:
I have the sage flight right now that i ordered it is a nice looking rod and casts well a little stiffer than i want, also it is the diameter of most 5wt or 6wt rods not what i think a true 4 wt should be and it is slightly heavy. I need all the help i can get.

Mthwsolcam,

I guessing from your moniker, you’re a bow hunter or shooter….Mattews Solo Cam? (BTW, I’m a Mattews guy too). The reason I bring this up, fly rods are a lot like bows. Many will tell you the high-end bows or fly rods are overpriced and hyped, and a lower-end one is every bit as good. Well there is a difference in performance as well as the quality of components and often aesthetics. As the price increases, though, the rule of diminishing returns kicks in. Whether the high-end rod or bow worth the increased cost for a little bit of performance increase is up to the buyer.

You’ve picked up on the fact that faster rods in the low and mid-priced range are heavier in weight and/or larger in diameter than the more expensive rods. It’s amazing you picked up on it above, the Sage Flight (according to Sage) uses has a larger diameter blank to achieve lightness and stiffness.

I’m a hobbyist rod builder. Rod building sites publish the specs (diameters of tips and butts, weights of blanks, etc.) in order for builders to buy the proper size and weight components for building a rod. If look at the specs of fly rod blanks you will notice the fast high-end blanks tend to weigh less and are thinner in diameter than the cheaper blanks that are rated as fast. The reason for this is because of the modulus (stiffness) of the graphite (carbon) fiber used to build the rod. High-end fast rods generally use a higher modulus graphite to build the blank. A fast rod (one the flexes most at the tip) is usually tapered with a fairly thin tip with a progressively larger diameter towards the butt. Blanks built with high modulus material rely on the stiffness of the fiber to keep the flex of the rod near the tip and have little flex towards the butt, whereas the cheaper rods, built with lower modulus fiber, generally increase the diameter and/or thickness of wall of the blank to achieve the same effect. Because of this, the faster rods at lower prices tend to weigh more and/or are a larger diameter.

All rod manufacturers will tell you that high modulus graphite is much more expensive, but I too don’t believe the cost of the material is a huge factor. Even if the cost is 10x higher, say $5 of material vs. $50, the difference is still on $45. The cost is higher mostly because of increased quality control needed to produce thin-walled high modulus graphite rods. Any minor error in manufacturing will cause the rod to fail. Also, also if you read all the literature and ads from the rod companies, each has a proprietary manufacturing process to produce these rods. If you notice, for all rod mfg, the lightest fastest rods in their line are in the high price range.

To sum it all up, I’m really not trying to discourage you; I’m just giving you some info and insight on fly rods. There are a lot of great rods out there today, but don’t expect to find the lightest and thinnest rods in the rack at the $300 price point, just like you wouldn’t expect a Mattews Solo Cam to have the same specs as mid-priced bow. Quite frankly no one really NEEDS to buy the latest and greatest rod to cast or fish well, just as with a decent bow, a good shooter will hit the bullseye every time. My suggestion to you is go out and cast a whole bunch of rods that fit into your budget and find the one that works bests for you and enjoy your fishin’.

Good luck.

BTW, stick to a 4wt. A 3wt rod is more of a specialty rod, and 4 wt is more of a bread and butter rod for fishing most streams in PA.

Well said and good advice Afish....I agree.

And good analogy with archery. Of course, I've long been an advocate of keeping fly fishing gear simple and have been a skeptic of much of the latest and greatest fly fishing gear. For me personally, much of my enjoyment of FFing gear comes as much from an aesthetic feel rather than peformance edge. To each his own.

Of course.... I'm a recurve guy. :)

Afishindo hit it 100% with his analogy cast whats in your price range and get what fits you best. I also agree with the recomendation of the 4wt. that was a spot on post. Try the Greys stream flex I have a 9' 4wt and love it. its not a fast action rod though. I personally don't like a fast action rod.www.hardyfishing.com/ this rod is under 300.00 bucks

If you are looking for a Sage Launch, with a slightly slower action than the Flight, my formerly local fly shop is having a screaming deal on them.
RF Anglers closeouts

Thanks for all of the help. I looked on RF anglers closeouts. The deal on the T3 is an eye catcher if only there was a 4 wt. I cast the Orvis Zero Gravity today at the local fly shop he has a 5wt for $360 i might stretch the budget and go with a T3 or the Zero Gravity. It seems like a good deal and i figured out i am not a tip flex guy. The streams I fish are not all the big 25 feet wide in most plcaes and the mid flex should protect the lighter tippets i fish. afishinado i appreciate the explanation, i never thought of it that way thank you. If anyone knows where i can get a T3 4wt let me know the rod is perfect for me and my friend will not part with his .

mthwsolocam wrote:
If anyone knows where i can get a T3 4wt let me know the rod is perfect for me and my friend will not part with his .

Let the bidding begin!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORVIS-T3-9-4-WT-4-PC-GRAPHITE-FLY-ROD_W0QQitemZ300405389628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f18e793c

I looked at the photo and there’s an “R” stamped on the cork. I believe that means “refurbished”. Maybe someone on here knows for sure, I’m not really that familiar with Orvis rods. Good luck.

That T3 is pretty sweet. On the fast side, but sweet. The R stamp means it was likely picked up at a tent sale and is refurbished. NO Warranty!

Redington CPS. I have cast a few of these and I really like them for fast action rods. $300 and they come in 4 pc.

I am just wondering afishinado you said about a 3wt being a specialty rod could you tell me a little more about this. I read a few places that some guys have bought 3wt flights and lined them up with 4wt line and got a very nice flex and feel as well as a very fishable rod for medium sized streams. You seem like a very knowledgable person and i think you talk from experience I am just wondering your opinion. Thanks

pmccardell what sized streams are you fishing and is that 3wt capable of throwing around 2 nymphs and an indicator 30 feet. and how well does it mend at further distances. Thanks

mthwsolocam wrote:
Just looking for some help on picking out a new rod. I am looking for a 4 wt 8'6"-9' fast action

Biggity bam.

I tested out a 3wt Borger rod, and loved it, here's a 9' 4wt marked down for $165.

I fish the Gunpowder mostly. I manly fished drys with it but I have swung some wets with it. I don't fish it much anymore I do like a more moderate flexed rod and fish ether 4wt 9' Greys Stream flex or my Hardy Marksman 10' 4wt with wets and nymphs. Grey's makes a 10' 3wt or 4wt Stream flex that make great nymph rods.

mthwsolocam wrote:
[color=FF0000]I am just wondering afishinado you said about a 3wt being a specialty rod could you tell me a little more about this. I read a few places that some guys have bought 3wt flights and lined them up with 4wt line and got a very nice flex and feel as well as a very fishable rod for medium sized streams. [/color]You seem like a very knowledgable person and i think you talk from experience I am just wondering your opinion. Thanks

pmccardell what sized streams are you fishing and is that 3wt capable of throwing around 2 nymphs and an indicator 30 feet. and how well does it mend at further distances. Thanks

Well, they are actually fishing 4wts!! :lol:

A 4wt LINE is a great weight for fishing trout in PA. It has more delicacy (for lack of a better word) than a 5wt, yet more punch than a 3wt. You can cast weighted flies and split shot with it and cast fairly well in a moderate wind. For slinging streamers or big flies and for casting distance on big water a 5wt works well. For fishing the average stream for trout, a 4 wt is a good compromise. The 3wt is best used for short casting in smaller streams with smaller flies, little or no added weight to the flies, and with little wind.

As far as overlining and underling a rod as you stated above. Some rods are more "powerful" than others (power not action) and they cast well overlined. That's the case with the Sage Flight rods you mentioned. As I stated above, those guys really are fishing 4wts. As a generalization, the Sage line of rods tend to more on the powerful side of the spectrum for the recommended line weight.

Anyway, here is a link that demonstrates the difference between rod power and action. Many anglers don't not really know the difference between the two. If you forget everything else, just remember the photos in the link. A picture is worth a thousand words. It's very valuable info and makes choosing the right rod a lot easier.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/power_action.php

Good luck!

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 5
  • action.jpg
    action.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5
Back