Smith Optics Lenses (Chromapop)

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

I know the name sounds silly, but does anyone have any experience with Smith's brown or polarchromic ignitor chromapop lenses? How do they compare to their Techlite glass polarchromic copper? Supposedly, and according to a number of reviews, the chromapop lenses have the same clarity as glass but brighten things up even more. I am sure marketing does play an important role in making people believe that, but I figure it could be Smith's answer to Costa's 580 lens. Any input or experience with these lenses would be great. Thank you.

Mine are on the way..... I got brown.

From my discussion with Smiths reps, the ignitor are just their lenses for low light. The previous polar chromatic copper lenses actually would dim slightly in bright sun. These do not and they do not have a low light lense that will do this at the moment. The brown is for normal sunlight days. I am pretty sure that I will purchase the ignitor sooner or later as well.

I like the fact that the polarization is baked into the lense and is not a film like most polarized lenses. They are hydrophobic as well which is great.

Becker,

Did you get the ones with the brown frame? I wonder if they would leave a glare on my eyes versus a black frame. I noticed too that they have a regular ignitor mirror and a low light ignitor. Then, furthermore, they have fishing specific chromapop lenses...black frame, brown lens with slight gold mirror.

My frames are brown/turtle. I don't believe there are fishing specific Chroma pop lenses. They are all polarized, just brown and copper are better for streams.

Big-Bass wrote:
I know the name sounds silly, but does anyone have any experience with Smith's brown or polarchromic ignitor chromapop lenses? How do they compare to their Techlite glass polarchromic copper? Supposedly, and according to a number of reviews, the chromapop lenses have the same clarity as glass but brighten things up even more. I am sure marketing does play an important role in making people believe that, but I figure it could be Smith's answer to Costa's 580 lens. Any input or experience with these lenses would be great. Thank you.

I don't know if you've read our input on them (http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/best-fishing-sunglasses-2013-part-one/7711124), but they've impressed. Haven't tested the three new mirrored lenses, but hope to soon.

I'm a big fan of the polarchromic copper glass lenses, my go-to glasses for several years now, but I'm beginning to wonder if the ChromaPOPs will end up replacing them. This season should tell.

And they unquestionably wear lighter.

Fishing specific:

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/smith-optics-adds-two-new-fishing-specific-lenses-its-chromapop-lineup/7711201

I picked up a pair of Smith Dover's from Orvis a few weeks ago. Havana frame and ChromaPop Brown lenses. All I can say is wow. Reminds me of the first time I saw a BluRay movie on a 1080p tv. Haha. Colors are very bright. Can't say enough about them. Everyone that tries them on wants a pair.

SmithOpticsChromaPop1_zps7480ca16.jpg

SmithOpticsChromaPop2_zps51a5f04f.jpg

Big-Bass wrote:
Fishing specific:

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/smith-optics-adds-two-new-fishing-specific-lenses-its-chromapop-lineup/7711201

Yep, those two lenses were designed specifically for fishing.

I was a bit surprised not to see a copper tint and/or one or both of those fishing-specific lenses be polarchromic.

The polarchromic ignitor was not designed for fishing specifically, and wasn't announced at the same time either. It was either announced when ChromaPop was initially introduced and I missed it, or it snuck into the lineup quietly at some point.

Whatever the case, I'm interested to see how that lens would work as a fishing lens, as it has virtually the same VLT profile as the the polarchromic copper mirror lens has long been my favorite. I'm just not sure about that rosey colored tint.

Just my experience but I originally bought the polarchromatic copper lenses and they are great for normal conditions like driving, etc. but I found them lacking for the conditions I trout fish in most and bough a second pair in polarchromatic amber which were much better and I used them for over 80% of my fishing.

Don't know about others but I find myself fishing in the morning, in the evening, on overcast days, and on shady streams the most and the amber let in more light.

Unfortunately, I lost my amber glasses over the winter and am looking at the Low Light Ignitor lenses to replace them with which are different from the regular Ignitor. Where my old amber lenses let in 15 to 30% of visible light, the Low Light Lense is supposed to let in 40% which I see as even more of a good thing.

Shock

Ditto on what Shock said. Bummer to lose a pair of expensive shades. Low light conditions are the issue.

The polarchromic amber certainly lets in more light, but I found the tint to be less optimal than the copper. The copper still will allow up to 20% VLT, which is significantly more than your typical brown polarized lens and vastly more than the blue/green mirror lenses you see many people wearing on the stream.

I'd probably like the copper even more if it had a wider range, but the tint made it win out over the amber .. for me, at least.

Yeah, losing an expensive peice of gear makes you want to kick yourself. I did not know I had lost them until a few days later when I couldn't find them. UGH!

One thing I can say for the Smith Glass lenses is that after owning one pair for 6 years and the other for 5 years, taking care of them but using them a lot, they were/are like new with no scratches of wear that I could/can detect.

That is why I am buying another pair knowing that they will both perform and last.

Shock

I got the copper polarchromics over the winter. They've Seen vvirtually no use so far but look like they will be great. I've always used what other companies call amber (smiths calls brown). Hopefully they will allow me st clearly see the rock I'm about to trip over before I go under. Great fit on them though. I got the riversides for $99 and they list at $219.

krayfish wrote:
I got the copper polarchromics over the winter. T Great fit on them though. I got the riversides for $99 and they list at $219.

That's a steal, especially for the polarchromic lenses.

I've not seen the riversides in person. Coverage is good?

Yeah. Nice curve, lenses not too tall or too skinny. The fit is for a medium / large face. Very pleased but I'm thinking the brown lens might have better for spotting fish. The only negative I heard on that model was the hinges were glued on and they pop off if you sit on them. Since I plan having them on my head, can't see sitting on them. If I do, I'll epoxy the hinge back on myself.

I just ordered the chromapop polarchromic ignitor. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Update:

I ended up with the chromapop polarchromic ignitor lenses with Frontman frames. I really like these glasses. I was worried about two things with the pinkish lenses: color distortion and looking funny in with pink sunglasses (lame but true).

There is actually very little color distortion, much less than traditional amber or my previous pair of smith's brown lenses. The most obvious effect is that the sky appears to be a deeper shade of blue. These lenses also do a great job increasing contrast.

The ability for the lenses to adjust to light levels has been my favorite feature. Very good in lower light.

My only complaint is that there is little ventilation behind the lenses and I am experience a build up condensation when I am sweating.

As far as looking funny with pink sunglasses goes, the lenses have a silver mirror finish, you really can't see the pink lenses.

As a certified optician, I thought I would weigh in. So, the Chromapop lens and the Costa 580 lens both try to reduce 'light confusion' by selectively reducing blue and yellow light transmission. I believe the technology used is different though. I like that the Chromapop does not use traditional polarized sandwich construction, avoiding adhesives. In the 580, Costa uses either polycarbonate or glass. The glass lenses are spectacular. The poly....well, it's poly. Polycarbonate is popular because it is tough and light, but it has the worst optical clarity of any material. For the Chromapop, Smith uses trivex. Trivex has very good optical clarity, about like CR-39, definitely much better than polycarbonate. It is also a bit stronger and lighter. I really do like the Costa 580G lens a LOT, and Smith's polarchromic copper glass is also spectacular, but where Chromapop truly differs is having very high optical clarity in an IMPACT-RESISTANT and LIGHTWEIGHT lens material.

I agree with previous posters who prefer a brown lens color to a copper lens color for fishing versatility, although the copper is nice in brighter conditions. Chromapop is now available in mirror! The bronze mirror is on a polarized brown base, kicking transmission a bit more toward blue, which feels a lot more 'true color' than either the Smith polarchromic copper or the Costa amber or green mirror. The Chromapop Ignitor, like Smith's regular Ignitor, is a specialty lens for low light.

hiplainsdrifter wrote:
The Chromapop Ignitor, like Smith's regular Ignitor, is a specialty lens for low light.

The Ignitor lens that is available in the ChromaPop lineup is the Polarchromic Ignitor (and the one Davmul was referring to). This actually has a VLT profile of 12-20%. So, as it adjusts to changing light conditions, it can be as dark as the blue mirror lenses intended for bright, sunny saltwater destinations or considerably brighter than their standard brown polarized lens.

It has a very similar profile to the Techlite glass polarchromic copper lens (13-20%).

The low light Techlite Ignitor lens, on the other hand has a VLT of 40%.

FYI - Madison River Fishing Company has a few styles of Smiths for wicked cheep - http://www.mrfc.com/clearance/sunglasses/

I ended up getting the black lens/ignitor Dolens. Pretty stoked.

Back