Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Smith Optics Lenses (Chromapop)

I know the name sounds silly, but does anyone have any experience with Smith's brown or polarchromic ignitor chromapop lenses? How do they compare to their Techlite glass polarchromic copper? Supposedly, and according to a number of reviews, the chromapop lenses have the same clarity as glass but brighten things up even more. I am sure marketing does play an important role in making people believe that, but I figure it could be Smith's answer to Costa's 580 lens. Any input or experience with these lenses would be great. Thank you.

Posted on: 4/8 10:51

Re: Smith Optics Lenses (Chromapop)

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Mine are on the way..... I got brown.

From my discussion with Smiths reps, the ignitor are just their lenses for low light. The previous polar chromatic copper lenses actually would dim slightly in bright sun. These do not and they do not have a low light lense that will do this at the moment. The brown is for normal sunlight days. I am pretty sure that I will purchase the ignitor sooner or later as well.

I like the fact that the polarization is baked into the lense and is not a film like most polarized lenses. They are hydrophobic as well which is great.

Posted on: 4/8 11:01

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Becker,

Did you get the ones with the brown frame? I wonder if they would leave a glare on my eyes versus a black frame. I noticed too that they have a regular ignitor mirror and a low light ignitor. Then, furthermore, they have fishing specific chromapop lenses...black frame, brown lens with slight gold mirror.

Posted on: 4/8 14:31

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
My frames are brown/turtle. I don't believe there are fishing specific Chroma pop lenses. They are all polarized, just brown and copper are better for streams.

Posted on: 4/8 15:13

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

Big-Bass wrote:
I know the name sounds silly, but does anyone have any experience with Smith's brown or polarchromic ignitor chromapop lenses? How do they compare to their Techlite glass polarchromic copper? Supposedly, and according to a number of reviews, the chromapop lenses have the same clarity as glass but brighten things up even more. I am sure marketing does play an important role in making people believe that, but I figure it could be Smith's answer to Costa's 580 lens. Any input or experience with these lenses would be great. Thank you.

I don't know if you've read our input on them (http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/best ... ses-2013-part-one/7711124), but they've impressed. Haven't tested the three new mirrored lenses, but hope to soon.

I'm a big fan of the polarchromic copper glass lenses, my go-to glasses for several years now, but I'm beginning to wonder if the ChromaPOPs will end up replacing them. This season should tell.

And they unquestionably wear lighter.

Posted on: 4/8 16:28

Posted on: 4/8 20:03

From Chester County
I picked up a pair of Smith Dover's from Orvis a few weeks ago. Havana frame and ChromaPop Brown lenses. All I can say is wow. Reminds me of the first time I saw a BluRay movie on a 1080p tv. Haha. Colors are very bright. Can't say enough about them. Everyone that tries them on wants a pair.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/8 21:32

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

Yep, those two lenses were designed specifically for fishing.

I was a bit surprised not to see a copper tint and/or one or both of those fishing-specific lenses be polarchromic.

The polarchromic ignitor was not designed for fishing specifically, and wasn't announced at the same time either. It was either announced when ChromaPop was initially introduced and I missed it, or it snuck into the lineup quietly at some point.

Whatever the case, I'm interested to see how that lens would work as a fishing lens, as it has virtually the same VLT profile as the the polarchromic copper mirror lens has long been my favorite. I'm just not sure about that rosey colored tint.

Posted on: 4/9 11:32

From near Hershey, Pa
Just my experience but I originally bought the polarchromatic copper lenses and they are great for normal conditions like driving, etc. but I found them lacking for the conditions I trout fish in most and bough a second pair in polarchromatic amber which were much better and I used them for over 80% of my fishing.

Don't know about others but I find myself fishing in the morning, in the evening, on overcast days, and on shady streams the most and the amber let in more light.

Unfortunately, I lost my amber glasses over the winter and am looking at the Low Light Ignitor lenses to replace them with which are different from the regular Ignitor. Where my old amber lenses let in 15 to 30% of visible light, the Low Light Lense is supposed to let in 40% which I see as even more of a good thing.

Shock

Posted on: 4/9 21:00

From Camp Hill, PA
Ditto on what Shock said. Bummer to lose a pair of expensive shades. Low light conditions are the issue.

Posted on: 4/9 22:37

From Philadelphia, PA
The polarchromic amber certainly lets in more light, but I found the tint to be less optimal than the copper. The copper still will allow up to 20% VLT, which is significantly more than your typical brown polarized lens and vastly more than the blue/green mirror lenses you see many people wearing on the stream.

I'd probably like the copper even more if it had a wider range, but the tint made it win out over the amber .. for me, at least.

Posted on: 4/9 23:14

From near Hershey, Pa
Yeah, losing an expensive peice of gear makes you want to kick yourself. I did not know I had lost them until a few days later when I couldn't find them. UGH!

One thing I can say for the Smith Glass lenses is that after owning one pair for 6 years and the other for 5 years, taking care of them but using them a lot, they were/are like new with no scratches of wear that I could/can detect.

That is why I am buying another pair knowing that they will both perform and last.

Shock

Posted on: 4/11 17:20

From Dauphin PA
I got the copper polarchromics over the winter. They've Seen vvirtually no use so far but look like they will be great. I've always used what other companies call amber (smiths calls brown). Hopefully they will allow me st clearly see the rock I'm about to trip over before I go under. Great fit on them though. I got the riversides for $99 and they list at $219.

Posted on: 4/11 21:25

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I got the copper polarchromics over the winter. T Great fit on them though. I got the riversides for $99 and they list at $219.

That's a steal, especially for the polarchromic lenses.

I've not seen the riversides in person. Coverage is good?

Posted on: 4/13 15:23

From Dauphin PA
Yeah. Nice curve, lenses not too tall or too skinny. The fit is for a medium / large face. Very pleased but I'm thinking the brown lens might have better for spotting fish. The only negative I heard on that model was the hinges were glued on and they pop off if you sit on them. Since I plan having them on my head, can't see sitting on them. If I do, I'll epoxy the hinge back on myself.

Posted on: 4/13 21:09

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com