Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Smashed rod, need a new one.. Help!

From Lehigh Valley
How's it going, kinda sorta snapped the tip off my rod in the car door this afternoon, so I'm going to need a new one.

That said, I'd like some suggestions on what to look for. I should probably start by saying that I'm one year into this, and honestly my casting isn't so hot, open loops, in efficent back casts, and a roll cast that might make a crackhead proud. :)

I mostly fish for trout, the occasional panfish in a pond when the trout thing doesn't work, and I would fish for bass, but honestly don't know anywhere. I had a 5wt 8'6" Redington package I bought at Dick's last year for ~$80. Since I'm 30 minutes from Cabela;s, that's where I'm off to make the purchase from this year.

Now, I still have the 5wt reel, line, etc. I also have a hard case for an 8'6" rod, but I'm seriously considering a lighter 4 piece rod and reel package.

Would a 3wt, 8'6" or 8' rod be much more difficult to cast? If I buy a package, I'd like to try to keep the total price under $250.

Is there any reason to NOT buy a 4 or more piece rod?

Should I just stick with 5wt?

Action?

Seriously, I'd be happy to just have some recommendations made outright for me.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 21:06

Re: Smashed rod, need a new one.. Help!

From Greensburg, PA
You could probably pick up a replacement 5wt in 8.5 or 9ft and still be able to pick up a slightly shorter 3wt combo at cabelas all for less than 250 total. While they have some better rods I have a Traditional combo in an 4pc 8wt which I rather like. I know this is bigger than what you are looking for but it speaks to the rods quality. These combos are just a little over 100 bucks. They also have St croix and reddington (among others) rods there you could look at. Ask them to let you test cast a few that you could choose from.

I see no reason, anymore, not to get a 4pc if you like the convenience of of a shorter breakdown. Most 4pc rods cast as well as 2pc anymore.

5wt is a great all around rod.

As far as action...its one of those preference kind of things...You'll get a lot of different opinions but, and this is just me, I prefer a faster action and a double taper line. Many others like a rod that flexes more and a WF line. Like I said...test cast a few ad maybe the sales guy will help you with your cast while you are selecting the rod.

Let us know how you make out.

One more thing...I bought an LLBean rod and over 5years later broke the tip off smallmouth fishing. It was not under warranty for breakage. I sent it back and asked if there was anything they could do...they sent me a brand new one...never hurts to ask.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 21:32

From Lehigh Valley
gfen - check with Redington. I'm thinking the rod may be covered under warranty. Like Tom said, it can't hurt to ask......Ed

http://www.redington.com/warranty_policy.php

Posted on: 2007/4/8 22:20

From Ohio
I think redingtons have a two year warranty on even their cheap rods. Worth a look-see.

Cast as many fly rods as you can, plenty of good ones under $200 and pleanty of servicible ones under $100.

If I were to but just one rod for the east for trout it would be a 8ft 5wt.

If I were to get two it would be a 9ft 5wt and a 7 1/2 ft 4wt.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 22:35

From Altoona, PA
First, I like the idea of looking into whether the rod you broke can be fixed or replaced. No reason not to do that!

Second, I think there is a reason why the standard issue first fly rod is an 8' or 8 1/2' 5 wt. It's an extremely versitile and effective rod length/weight. I wouldn't want to go too far from that. A 3 wt is nice, but you'll have trouble chucking wooleybuggers and panfish bugs with it. Save the 3wt for the day you are going to get your "second" rod! It's a nice wt for fishing in the warm months when the trout are sippin'

If you do decide to replace the rod. Take a look at the Cabelas stowaway rods. Despite the name (which makes me think of throwaway) they are awfully nice. A friend lent me his, and I fished a few small streams with the 7'6" 4wt. Nice. IMHO 5 pieces is a lot to set up, but it does break down nicely. and when you have a long walk into a stream, it's nice to be able to toss the rod in the back of your vest and keep your hands free on the way in. Multipiece rods fish just as well as their 2 pc brethren... for the most part. Some rods will be a little quicker for the extra sections, but I think you have to be a better caster than I to mind the difference.

Posted on: 2007/4/9 7:42

From SEPA
gfen,

I recently purchased a Temple Fork professional 8 foot 4 weight (4 piece) as a back up rod. I love the action (med-fast) and the price was under $150. There's a $25 no question warranty too, so if you bust it you're covered. It's a great value in my book. I got mine at Cabelas, I just had to use the $20 off coupon they sent me.

I personally don't like to fish a rod under a 4-weight. Any wind or a big/heavy fly and it's not as much fun. But others do, so whatever floats your boat.

beeber

Posted on: 2007/4/9 13:25

There's a beeber 1 and beeber 2??

About the rods, the lower priced lines of St Croix, Loomis, Sage etc. offer good value. These are carried by the independent fly shops around the state and you can get just as good value at these places as at the big boxes. With more service and knowledge.

Think about any fly shop that you have called for info, or checked their web site for info, or stopped in for info, or that has supported TU efforts. Then buy the rod from that fly shop.

Posted on: 2007/4/9 13:39

From SEPA
troutbert,

There's only one beeber. When beeber was made they broke the mold. The password stopped working a while ago so I re-registered as beeber2. All your suggestions are good ones as well. There's plenty of choices and places to check those choices.

Leave it to beeber! Ward, don't you think you've been hard on the beeber today?

beeber

Posted on: 2007/4/9 16:08

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
GFen,

I'll make a recommendation for you.

Get an 8 1/2 foot 5 wt Cabelas Tradional rod to replace your broken rod for $69. Add a Cabelas Tradional 8 foot 3 wt combo with the Prestige Plus reel for $115. Comes in a little under $200 after tax.

I'm a believer in having a few moderately priced rods in different sizes.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 0:07

I'm really active in a lot of outdoor activities (flyfishing, mountain biking, hiking/camping, rock climbing, etc) and from experience, I have learned that warrenty is the single greatest contributer to what type of gear I buy. I've learned the hard way that if you plan on being very active in any sort of outdoor activity, make sure that the "essential" gear you have is not only of good quality, but comes with a lifetime warrenty. Having a reel busted, tents that have been ripped apart by dogs and broken by falling tree limbs, a backpack that tumbled 1000 ft down the side of a mountain, and a bent fork on a bike, I've learned that the extra you will spend on a quality item with a lifetime warrenty will go a long way.

That being said, I'm a pretty new fisherman too, but I go out typically twice a week. I got a Sage Launch 9' 5wt for about $200, and although the price set me back a little, it casts very well, and I know that if I ever break it, I can send it back to get it fixed with no questions asked......forever.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 13:18

From Lehigh Valley
Well, there were lots of suggestions, and despite the fact that I asked for 'em, I didn't really give it full attention.

I'm kinda a jerk like that.

None the less, I did take something out of this that I felt was important: A 3wt was unneccessary, so I completely forgot about it. I also took the part about local stores to heart, and I'm all for supporting local merchants but I've recently found out I'm about to become a father x2, so I now have to have every dollar count, and if it means that I do have to screw the little guy a bit, well, alas... Sometimes I have to do what's best for me.

Anyways, I went out to Cabela's today and promptly allowed myself to be overwhelmed by my choices. I ended up picking up an 8'6" 4wt Cabela's LST rod, which just felt excellent in my hands, and pairing it with the Cabela's LSR #1, which I spent the extra on solely becuase I found it more visually pleasing than the CSR line. Heck, I was even letting the guy convince me to do a 5wt, and opted for the 4wt because the reel not only looked less ungainly, but felt like it balanced better than the 8'6" 5wt with an LSR #2 on it.

I didn't try it out with a leader on it, yet, but I felt far better with the new LST in the back yard just tossing it around for a few times. That may change with a leader, but I think I made the right choice.

Thanks for the advice, maybe next time I'll heed it a bit more. :)

-gf.

Posted on: 2007/4/11 21:56

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
which just felt excellent in my hands,

You listened to the most important part.

...and Congrats x2...

Posted on: 2007/4/12 8:33

I didn't pay much attention to your story. I'm kind of a jerk about that.

Posted on: 2007/4/13 8:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
121 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com