Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Small stream rod

I have a 3 wt. 7' diamondglass that is great for light fishign and tight spaces. the fiberglass really is great for a delicate presentation and the slow action lets you load a heavier rig if you use a tension cast. The scott fibertouch is also reportedly excellent for this, but a bit more expensive. Fiberglass really is so delicate.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 16:20

From aliquippa
for the small tight brush lined streams i have a 6 6" gl loomis 3 wt bigger streams i use a st croix legend 4 wt

Posted on: 2007/4/2 21:02

From Ohio
Quote:
I have a 3 wt. 7' diamondglass that is great for light fishign and tight spaces. the fiberglass really is great for a delicate presentation and the slow action lets you load a heavier rig if you use a tension cast.

This is my choice too. Can'r go wrong with any 7 to 7 1/2 ft rod 3 to 5 weight. Make sure it loads at short distances.

For VERY tight streams where normal casting is not an option and getting the rod through the brush is the overriding factor, I use a 6' 4/5 weight I built out of a tiger eye blank.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 20:40

From Doylestown, PA
Thanks for all the feedback! I have a follow up question. From what I have understood most small stream rods are slower action rods. I like a faster action rod. If my assumptions are correct that smaller rods are slower action...and I want a faster action. Then would / could I one line up the rod to give me fast action? Example; 2wt rod with a 3wt.line? At the same time if I one line down give me a slower action? Example; 2wt rod with a 1wt line.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 22:30

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Flydog wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback! I have a follow up question. From what I have understood most small stream rods are slower action rods. I like a faster action rod. If my assumptions are correct that smaller rods are slower action...and I want a faster action. Then would / could I one line up the rod to give me fast action? Example; 2wt rod with a 3wt.line? At the same time if I one line down give me a slower action? Example; 2wt rod with a 1wt line.

I think you have it backward. If it flexes closer to the tip its considered fast. If it flexes closer to the butt. Regardless, I don't think small rods tend to be any slower or faster than bigger rods. It can be whatever you want it to be. Just buy the rod with teh action you want...I have two 7ft 3/4 wt rods...one is extremely fast and the has a moderate to slow action. I like them both.

Heres another good way to decide what kind of rod you want...

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=100

Posted on: 2007/4/5 22:52

From Berryville Virginia
Flydog,

Not all short rods are slow; some just do not fit the requirements. I can put a fly line on a broomstick and cast 20+ feet that does not make it a short fly rod that I would fish. I like a rod that can cast itself with little effort and less arm speed to generate energy (if that makes any sense), so if you have a rod that you need to speed up or slow down then you can go up or down a line weight to make slight changes (to slow a rod you increase the line weight and speeding it up reduce the line weigh). Not everyone has several short rods,to go to when conditions change, so you need to find one that meets 90 percent of your short rod requirements and go with it.

Joe E

Posted on: 2007/4/6 8:40

From Philadelphia
Joee has it right, at least for me. I have a 7' SClll 3wt that I slow down even more by overling it one wt. When I'm using that rod I am almost always roll casting at short distances so I need the extra wt. to load the rod. I have lines at 4,5,6 & 8 wt. and rotate among my rods depending on need to load, wind, etc. As Joe notes, it's a better system than having rods from 6 to 9 feet at 6 inch intervals.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/6 14:25

From Doylestown, PA
Thanks for your imput.
Orvis Trout Bum or Winston WT. Can anyone give any compairsons? Also thoughts between 7' or 7'6". Orvis does have an advantage, less $$$$.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 11:01

From philadelphia
I use an 8ft. 6inch rod.
no matter how small the stream
although a bigger rod can be a hinderance in tight locations.
sometimes I can just reach out with it rather than cast
sometime u cannot even cast a smaller rod in tight places
but u can REACH farther and stay away from the fish with a longer rod

Steve98

Posted on: 2007/4/15 16:59

From Ohio
Quote:
Orvis Trout Bum or Winston WT. Can anyone give any compairsons?

Yes, I own last years model 7' 4 wt trout bum and a 7'6" 4wt winston IM6 (what the WT was called before they changed thier name). They are very different rods. Do yourself a favor and find a shop that carries both and cast them.

The trout bum is a fine rod. It is the slowest graphite rod I own. It is one of the only graphite rods that is really full flexing. It roll casts well for a short rod and loads adequately at short distances. It is more packable as four pieces than the IM6 at three pieces. It tends to not do well in the wind and fighting big fish. A great dry fly rod, but can handle dries/droppers and wooly buggers well inside 35 ft.

The IM6 is the finest rod I own. It has a moderate (faster/stiffer compared to the trout bum) action and a stiffer butt . It handled surprisingly well when I used it in a windy weatern trip this past year. It roll casts well. I would also say it loads better at short distances and with backhand/unorthodox casts than the trout bum. The extra six inches makes a noticeable difference when mending. Handles big fish and heavy flies/weights/indicators a lot better that the trout bum.

Being a rod builder, I would also say the fit and finish on the Winston and components second to none....solid. The Orvis looks nice but doesn't "feel" as nice.

For me the IM6/WT is worst the extra $$$$.

Look also at the 7' 4wt TLS by Orvis and Scott G2

Posted on: 2007/4/16 21:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com