Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: small stream fly rod

From Ligonier
After hearing the great feedback, I think I'm going up to 8' rather than 7", fast action, 4 weight. The longer length will help with the delicate presentations I encounter.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 21:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
No Helios II for the small stream? LOL

Funny you should say that. At one of the fly shows I was watching Joe Humphrey's do his ridiculous demos. Was talking about rods, saying he likes really fast actions, short and stout. He said the rod in his hands was a 7'6" 5 wt. I noticed it was a Helios. I happened to be looking around at the time and knew the Helios wasn't made in a 7'6" 5 wt! Not many rods are, and I might have been tempted if it were.

So after the demo I mentioned that and asked him where he got his. He smiled. Then said that he'd been after Orvis to offer heavier line weights in shorter rods. While they didn't offer it to the public, they did make him one!

I guess when you're Joe Humphreys the options open up a little, hehe.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 21:08

From Bucks County
yeah must be nice to have Orvis create a rod for you, or anyone for that matter.

Another thing is you can go with a little heavier line for short distance casting to help load the rod a bit more efficiently.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 9:17

From Pittsburgh
I would also endorse the echo carbon rod - especially at a marked down price of $125.
I have a larger one - in a 9'5 weight - and was quite impressed with it's quality and rather modest price

Posted on: 2013/1/3 11:39

From Couldn't Care Less
Just purchased TFO finese and ross reel ... all with lifetime warrentys

Per my thread in the gear sectii n a while back 7'6 was the way to go but they ok nly had a 7'9 in sstock. Felt good and with a discount they were running I only spent 25 more on the entire setup then I originally planned.

Did I make a mistake going 7'9? Rod felt good and they were really talking it ... what says u guys b4 the return date runs out?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:49

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
What does it matter what we say? If you like it and it casts well, then it is good, no?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 16:31

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

quote]
Stagger_Lee wrote:

Per my thread in the gear sectii n a while back 7'6 was the way to go but they ok nly had a 7'9 in sstock. Felt good and with a discount they were running I only spent 25 more on the entire setup then I originally planned.

Did I make a mistake going 7'9? Rod felt good and they were really talking it ... what says u guys b4 the return date runs out?[/quote]

I own a Finesse 7'-9" 3 weight and love it. Cast it. If it feels good, keep it. What line weight is the rod designed for?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 17:23

From Couldn't Care Less
Becks ...I usually only discuss size with my wife BUT what Im asking u guys abt is 7'6 - 7'9 for small seams

For me it didnt seem like a big deal but wwtf do I know.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 17:25

Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Did I make a mistake going 7'9?

No

Posted on: 2013/1/4 17:52

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

No

You'd catch a lot more fish with a 7 foot 10incher...

Posted on: 2013/1/5 7:03

Here's another option to consider - I very much enjoy fishing my 5 footer -

Global Dorber

have fun,

Posted on: 2013/1/6 7:06

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

From philadelphia
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

No

You'd catch a lot more fish with a 7 foot 10incher...

HAHA!!! i actually snorted my tea through my nose on this.i'm still laughing!

Posted on: 2013/1/6 14:25

From philadelphia
i have 8 and 7.5 ft glass and 7 ft bamboo for small streams.they do the job fine.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 14:27

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
the outsider wrote
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Did I make a mistake going 7'9? Rod felt good and they were really talking it ... what says u guys b4 the return date runs out?

I own a Finesse 7'-9" 3 weight and love it. Cast it. If it feels good, keep it. What line weight is the rod designed for?

Hey outsider .. how have you been? Still haven't forgotten that you were the 1st guy to take me (and jeff-Aducker) out on the H2O to teach me the basics on how streams flow, where to look for fish, etc tho I didn't fling one bug .. Hope all is well by you.

Rod is designed for 4 weight line. Spoke to the 2 sales men and spoke to them abt swattie's (and a few others) advice on upping it so I went up 1/2 lb all purpose trout line. Hope to take it out in the next week or 2 but it felt great when I tested it in the store.

Only thing that messed me up a lil is I really value the advice here. Wasn't sure abt the 3 extra inches (which didn't seem like much to me) and the advice on what action I should have when I decided I want to get a small stream rod for brokkie fishing. Guy told me it was abt medium.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 12:51

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It'll work fine. Like I said, my main one is a 7'6". There are times when I wish I'd brought something a little longer, and times when I wish I'd brought something a little shorter.

But it'd only be a "little" nicer. You can catch fish with about anything, anywhere. Those times when "I wish" are only wishing for a marginal improvement. And no one rod can cover it all perfectly. Over time, you pick up more rods to get marginally better options for a wider variety of situations, and it gets a little ridiculous, more of a hobby than a necessity. "

Do I want the 7'2" medium-fast that shades towards fast, or the 7'4" medium fast that shades towards medium? Aww, heck, the second one is probably a hair better for this stream, but that first one is soooo pretty and I haven't fished it in a while, it's lonely. :) lol.

7'9" is just fine as a base small stream rod. Stop worrying, use it, it's fine. In 10 years you'll have too many rods you don't need and they'll start getting feelings, but this one will still be very much in the rotation. And that's all you can ask for, a rod that won't lose it's usefulness.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 15:14

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
103 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com