Small Stream Brookie rod

B

boychick

I'm planning to do some brook trout fishing next spring. I'm looking to purchase a good rod for this kind of fishing. I don't want to spend more than $200. I would like something that comes with a tube. How long of a rod should I be looking at? I've seen small stream rods out there from 5' 6"-7". What line weight? If you guys that fish these small back country streams regularly could offer a little guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help.

-B

I like a longer rod for brookie fishing. The shorter rods are easy to transport around, but the longer rods provide more reach, which is critical to reaching fish through brush.

I would go with a 4 or 5wt and overline it.

There's several schools of thought on this.

My school of thought is to go heavy on the line weight, and perhaps even overline it. The stiff rod is for powering tight loops in tight brush. The overlining is to load the rod well at short distances.

My tool of choice is a 7.5 foot 4/5 weight Cortland GRX. Certainly within your price range, though I don't think they make them anymore. It can be hard to find a shorter rod in these line weights. A 4 wt shouldn't be too hard to find, though.

The other school of thought, which seems more common, is light line weights. 1, 2, and 3 wts. I fail to see any advantage these rods give you, as on these streams you're not casting tiny flies nor are you overly concerned about drag. However, the fish are small, and a light rod will allow a brookie to show off a bit during the fight.

a few more points:

1. Rod must be able to load at short distances, roll cast well, etc.
2. As for length, there's a trade-off between bow and arrow casting and traditional casting. Bow and arrow works best when it gets real tight, and longer and stiffer is better. But with tranditional casting (with backcasts, etc.), the tighter it is, the more you'll appreciate a shorter rod.

pcray1231 wrote:
There's several schools of thought on this.

My school of thought is to go heavy on the line weight, and perhaps even overline it. The stiff rod is for powering tight loops in tight brush. The overlining is to load the rod well at short distances.

My tool of choice is a 7.5 foot 4/5 weight Cortland GRX. Certainly within your price range, though I don't think they make them anymore. It can be hard to find a shorter rod in these line weights. A 4 wt shouldn't be too hard to find, though.

The other school of thought, which seems more common, is light line weights. 1, 2, and 3 wts. I fail to see any advantage these rods give you, as on these streams you're not casting tiny flies nor are you overly concerned about drag. However, the fish are small, and a light rod will allow a brookie to show off a bit during the fight.

a few more points:

1. Rod must be able to load at short distances, roll cast well, etc.
2. As for length, there's a trade-off between bow and arrow casting and traditional casting. Bow and arrow works best when it gets real tight, and longer and stiffer is better. But with tranditional casting (with backcasts, etc.), the tighter it is, the more you'll appreciate a shorter rod.

Great advice above from Pat. I graduated from the same "school" with respect to rod choices for small streams. A faster (tip flex) rod in a 4wt 7' to 7.5' length. Maybe (depending on the rod) spooled with a 5wt line. A tip action rod will help you cast tighter loops into the cover, also contrary to popular belief (at least in my hands) I can roll cast a stiffer rod farther and with more accuracy than a full flex rod.

I think you really have to define where you plan on fishing and what the stream and surroundings are like. This past spring I fish a brookie creek that was no more than 10' across, but the banks were lined with rhododendron. In trying to navigate along the stream, I really appreciated having my 6' 4wt. I wouldn't have wanted to wrangle with a 7'6" or greater rod through all that. So look at what you plan on fishing and go from there. Will you be bank fishing or casting from below to pools/riffles/runs above?

In my opinion, a perfect "small stream special" would be a rod in 2-4 wt and a length of 6' to 7'6". Depending on how you like to fish, the longer rod may be more beneficial. You'll get a lot of different opinions, but for the most part they'll all be pretty close in what they're saying: no need to go higher than a 5 wt and no need to go with a 9' rod.

Good luck!

I think it really depends on the streams you'll fish.

I can get away with casting my 6'6" 2wt. on most streams, but others I need more "punch" to get the line out and not sppok the fish so I use a 7'6" 4wt.

Nothing beats hooking and fighting a brookie on the 6"6" though.

Overall, my advise is whatever rod you choose go way cheaper than $200. I built my 6'er for $34 and transport it in a section of pvc pipe ($3).

If you are truely fishing mountain stream cheap is the way to go; you'll drop it a thousand time.

Oh and the reel should be cheap too. I use and like the SA $30 reel from Walmart (I bought mine froom Cabelas for $35 + shipping). It's small and weights less than 4 oz. which is key.

Jay and Mkern how many times do you think you have answered that same question on this site?

I will tell you the opposite of what they said I have 6ft 2wt and I love it. No maybe I cant bomb a 70ft cast into a strong head with it, but for tossing a size 14 dry fly and catching 6in fish it makes things fun.

Too many to count, but I don't mind helping new members.

I love my 2wt and use is all most every time. I really only use my 4wt on Grey's run (well if I remember it).

The tihing is you don't really have to cast on brookies streams. Once you know their behaviors and positions simply dunking the fly in will do.
Although cathcing them on dries on long calm sections of the stream is a blast.

I think I've casted over 50 feet of line with my 2 wt on a brookie stream. A lot of false cast and work to get it out there though.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/search.php

7 1/2 foot, 4 wt, fast action.

I have a 6' 3 weight St Croix avid that I bring out for the smallest, brushiest streams.
Otherwise, I use a 7'9" 2 weight loomis IMX, spooled with a 3 weight line

I'm with dfg...
my primary rod is a 7'6" custom JPRoss 3wt rod (bout $100). I find this rod short enough to carry through all but the densest areas. It is also long enough to lift a back cast above the plants behind me if needed. I find it a good length for bow and arrow casting as well as lifting the fish to me in tight cover.
I have also used a 6' bamboo and a 7'9" bamboo, both in 5wt, for recent outings. Both worked admirably.
So my suggestion is buy what you would like to fish with...it will catch fish for you no matter what route you decide to take!

I now have 2 small stream rods. a 7' 4wt from walmart. It's short and stiff flexed and can bow and arrow pretty good for $15. I use this one for the tight brush and overline it with 5wt line.

This year I bought an 7'6" 3/4 wt Albright GP for $45. I have a 4wt line I use on that. I just used it this weekend and it was great. It is more of a mid flex, so it's nice when you have a little bit more room and can throw some line with a bit of grace, but short enough to get under the brush.

for $60, you got both bases covered for small stream trout fishing.

7 1/2 foot, 4 wt, fast action.

Like troutberts answer. Maybe 8'. This rod will work fine on many limestoners and spring creeks throughout PA as well. Guess the question is do you want to own 8 rods, with specific applications for each rod? If yes, then the 7' 2wt for brookies is fun. If you want a few core rods, then go with a 4wt imo.

i'd get a 9' or 10' 5wt and go after bigger fish then save 50 bucks down the road and buy the rod that ryguy has , its good enough to ram into trees and fall on in the multa flora rose bushes !

I think the "Cortland Brook Series" flyrod would fit your needs in the 6'6" 3wt. version. The rod is fast so would cast tight loops in under branches and overhead cover.

I've oft stated my opinion that extremely short fly rods (under 6') are an aquired taste ......I like a 5' for very small stream brookie fishing.

i'd get a 9' or 10' 5wt and go after bigger fish then save 50 bucks down the road and buy the rod that ryguy has , its good enough to ram into trees and fall on in the multa flora rose bushes !

Oh ya? I'd get a 10'6" 9wt and go after bigger fish.

I like a 7' 4wt for fishing dries on smaller streams, med-fast action. It might be a little long for some streams, but I prefer to fish as long of a rod as possible. I have a 7' and 7.5' Cortland GRF. I got one many years ago and bought the other off ebay last year. They are hard to come by, but often sell for less than $50 on ebay.

I'm with Fishidiot, I like rods on the shorter side. Especailly in light line weights. I have 2 2wt.s and love 'em both. You cant go wrong with a 6 1/2 ft 2wt. for brookie fishing. I would even think fishing wild trout with a stick over 7 1/2 ft.

Back