sling pack for fly fishing

B

baileyoconnell

Not a fan of bulky chest packs.

Personnel at flyshop recommended sling packs as they can be moved out of the way.

Although I still use vest, the sling pack sounded good for use on the kayak.

Can any provide any feedback on sling packs?

I'm a fan of both the Fishpond Westwater sling and the Orvis Safe Passage Guide sling.

Working on reviewing both at the moment, just haven't gotten around to finishing such yet. Will update when they are done.

I have a William & Joseph sling pack and use it for small stream fishing and really like it. They hold two to three boxes size dependent, nippers and such , water and a sandwich nicely. It's been very comfortable to wear going through the thick of such locations. You don't get heated up on long treks like with a vest, you don't even know it's there really. Though I've never used one in a kayak. If you're looking to travel light it's the way to go.

lv2nymph wrote:
I have a William & Joseph sling pack and use it for small stream fishing and really like it. They hold two to three boxes size dependent, nippers and such , water and a sandwich nicely. It's been very comfortable to wear going through the thick of such locations. You don't get heated up on long treks like with a vest, you don't even know it's there really. Though I've never used one in a kayak. If you're looking to travel light it's the way to go.

^^ +1.

I too have this pack the only thing I would point out is that the front chest pouch only holds a small box. So you are either spinning this thing around often or you have to "make a box" for trips or rotate boxes. (that all have to fit up front). Or have one universal box which is what I've been working on but it ends up disrupting the organization of fly boxes.

But I like chaos.

I have been using the Patagonia stealth atom sling for about a year and would highly recommend it. Tons of space for fly boxes, light jacket, lunch, etc. Very well designed as well with some unique features like water bottle holder and waterproof inner pouch.

I have used the Orvis Safe Passage sling for about a year now. It's very convenient to swing it behind you. The only problem I've encountered is lack of space. The make the larger size in the guide series but I got the original. I carry way too much that I'll probably never use, but I still like to have everything with me. It's plenty large enough most though.

Love them. I have the older model Orvis pack for many years now and I think it is perfect for me. I hate chest packs and vests.

As far as space is concerned, the more space you have the more stuff you acquire to fill it up. I wish I could just pack lighter!

I'm going to second the Patagonia Atom Stealth pack. I love it - used it out west when I was going minimal, and have used it here at home when I carry everything I've got. Love how it sits on my back and out of the way. I would highly recommend getting a magnetic net release if you carry one since there isn't really a convenient place to keep a net with it.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/stealth-atom-sling?p=48325-0

I've been using the Orvis Safe Passage sling (the small one) for 3+ years now and like it alot...

The only issue that I have had with the pack is that it hangs fairly low, so it ends up getting wet if your waist deep. Also, storage space is limited.

Based on those 2 things, I asked Santa to bring me a Fishpond Westwater sling. Haven't used it yet - but it looks pretty awesome. It's water'resistant' and has alot of space. I really wanted a pack that could fit my stuff + a jacket maybe + a couple of beers perhaps (priorities!)..and this bag fits the bill perfectly! can't wait to try it out

I love sling packs. I am looking to pick up one that is on the large side. I am torn between the Orvis Guide Sling Pack or the Simms Large Headwaters Sling. Both of those have enough space for a bunch of junk......just need to figure out which one I like the best....I would look at these two if you are in need of a larger sling.

I use this one when I'm in my kayak. Slim design and holds everything I need. Plus the whole thing is made in the USA and Vedavoo is an awesome new company.
http://vedavoo.com/shopping/tightlines-sling-pack/

When I'm wade fishing I use the Patagonia Stealth Atom. It has more storage options and a bit more room.

I really like both packs, they each have their place.

a big +1 on what CLSoprts said and it's why I use the Orvis Safe Passage Guide sling.

I bought it for the very reason that I am forcing myself not to carry 20 extra things i only use once a year. That's what my car trunk is for, LOL.

this is my second season with the sling pack and I love it, it does hang low, I would agree with Pratt. I would also say the strap that goes across your waist is a must. I used mine without for half a season because it was missing, went in to the Orivs store and they gave me one and its been much better ever since.

by raftman on 2013/12/30 15:50:38

I'm going to second the Patagonia Atom Stealth pack. I love it - used it out west when I was going minimal, and have used it here at home when I carry everything I've got. Love how it sits on my back and out of the way. I would highly recommend getting a magnetic net release if you carry one since there isn't really a convenient place to keep a net with it.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/stealth-atom-sling?p=48325-0

Wow, after seeing the Atom Stealth pack and watching the video this is a really nice looking pack.

Hmmm, I might have to make a switch. LOL. Love the water bottle holder.

I bought an Orvis magnum sling at the outlet in Lancaster with my coupon from the fly fishing show last year. Have only used it for smallmouth fishing and it has way more carrying capacity than I need for that type of fishing. I may convert it for trout excursions when the weather gets a little better later in spring. I do like having the pack secured behind me and it is easy to rotate it in front when I need something. The thing really has a lot of space.

sroach, I can't figure out how that other strap attaches to it? So it's a waist strap? got a pic?

Hey Stoneman,

I took a pic of the backside of my sling pack, there are two clips in each corner (if you will) that you clip the straps to, so clip it on one side, go around your waist then clip in to the other side.

g3fs.jpg

Love my patagonia sling pack.

I was in the same boat, I hated bulky vests.

Back