Sinking Lines

S

sprout74

I saw this product listed on the Orvis site:

Instant Sink Tip system

But the buyer reviews of the loop to loop connection did not inspire me.

Are there similar products to the sinking line system?

What can be done to quickly switch between a floating and sinking line without having to change the entire reel?

I have something similar to the first one..works well...I've used it out of a float tube and at the beach...but thats it.

I don't have any first hand experience but I have talked to a lot of people about the multi-tip lines offered by Rio and SA and others because they intrigued me. I considered them mostly for my Salt gear as I don't have nearly as much gear for Salt and I find that floating lines give me 95% of what I need in the cold water. The idea of 5 different tips for 1 line/reel was very convincing.

Everyone I have talked to about these multi-tip lines has warned me against them as they say that the hinge for the loop to loop, no matter what the manufacturer says or thinks, is an ever-present and unnatural feeling in the casting stroke.

Thanks for the responses!

Are these multi-tip lines something you can make with a length of sinking line and some perfection loops?

I have a set of Orvis sink tips. They work okay in a pinch to get some depth with streamers / buggers. They don't cast like a dream, and tend to hinge a bit since the tip is heavier in diameter and weight than the end of the fly line. If you slow down your stroke and allow your line to straighten out completely you can manage a decent cast. They are worth having with you if you don't have a sinking or sink tip line handy.

I make all my own depending on the line and stream..I take full sinking and leadcore and cut them to different lenths..any thing from 3 foot to 30 foot..there will always be a hinge effect at the loop and its more a open cast with the tips, but the fly gets down..

Thanks again for the responses.

If I were to buy some sinking line and cut it into some lengths for connecting to my floating line in a pinch, what knot(s) do I use to connect the length of sinking line to the floating line already on my reel?

I am a newbie, so please excuse the beginner questions.

:)

I have carried sink tips, and used them for chuck and duck streamer fishing on rivers on days when that was the only thing happening.

This past weekend I fished stillwater for large trout in Northern California, Mount Shasta area. The sinking tips did not work at all.

We had no success with sinking tips, but borrowed a few reels with intermediate sinking lines. They made a huge difference.

Please note, this was crawling buggers and leaches slowly across the bottom in 15-20 feet of water.

Also, in the still water fishing we were using clear lines. Seemed to make a big difference.

Back