shin guards for brookie fishing

k-bob

k-bob

I have taken some painful impacts to my knees and shins in brookie fishing, and tried these "shift enforcer" knee / shin guards ($15/ pair at motorcycle shop). The knee guards werent tall enough for even me (5'8") so I cut them and have a nfity pair of shin guards, strong stay put, 5 oz each. The foam backing is perforated, so I will try wearing them under waders some time.. they worked very well over waders on a rough rocky-stream brookie bash yesterday... stayed put and so light I that forgot about them right away.

Attachments

• 8514887961_dca874a864.jpg
    8514887961_dca874a864.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 8516004346_913038aaec.jpg
    8516004346_913038aaec.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 3
I will try to find another model of these motocross knee - shin guards that have high enough knee guards for me... because there are no straps behind the knee, these knee guards were very comfortable when walking, the knee guards were just not high enough.... I used to ride dirt bikes, the shin exposure to rocks and logs is brutal these would have been great back in the day...

Neat idea - thanks.

check out renegade knee pads. We used to use them for paintball back in the day. not sure if they still sell em but its work a try adn would be fine covers knee the whole to shin.

Check out this post
http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open-forums/gear-talk/knee%2Fshin-guards/3,29195.html

Body armor to go after 6" brook trout?

mcsneek "Body armor to go after 6" brook trout?"

Yes I want body armor (or at least $15 shin guards) to go after 6 inch brook trout... in brooks that climb 500 feet per mile :)

plus ten 1 and 2 weight fly rods, a gps, ph gauge....

Unbeilievable !
make sure you use a climbing helmet on the rocks...lol

good idea, but I really want a jet pack!

overkill fly fishing equipment is fun...

and for some places shin guards are a good idea...

Attachments

• 6359614965_464357e1c6.jpg
    6359614965_464357e1c6.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 3
I've a well padded butt, so I usually sit rather then kneel, but I could see hockey shin guards as a solution.

I am actually more concerned about hiking up steep streams and impacting my shins on rocks in a slip (again!) ... these $15 guards with the knee plate removed cover that issue very well, with almost no weight.

If I can find similar light comfortable motocross 'shin & knee guards' where the knee guard fits me very well, and they are good to hike in, I will try those, too. without cutting the knee plate off!

I see a lot of basketball players wearing a sock that clearly has a shin pad built in to it. Would probably be effective. You're right - overkill can be fun.

Actually, this may not be overkill! I should start wearing my soccer shin guards under my waders. I really knock up my shins sometimes.

yeah I have taken some shin whacks ouch

these look interesting: no uncomfortable strap behind the knee, and the knee guard is hinged for easy hiking... might be good on rough brookie streams:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Racing-2013-Adult-Flex-II-Knee-Shin-Guard-Black-NEW-/140861992374?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item20cc076db6&vxp=mtr

http://www.flyracing.com/product/moto-taxonomy/racewear/knee-guards/flex-ii-kneeshin-guard/313/adultyouth

I might try these Fly Racing guards over waders and under my oversize turtleskin snake gaitors... Or they might go under the waders, letting the perforated foam visible in the ebay picture breathe a bit...

Now have the Fly Racing Flex II integrated dirt-bike knee-shin guards. These motocross knee/shin guards were made to wear above riding boots and under riding pants, not that different from using them with wading boots and waders, I guess.

The Flex IIs are taller and fit me better than the Shift models, and the knee plate is easy to walk in (knee plate has no strap behind it and floats in front of my knee with little rubbing). I can imagine wearing the Flex IIs over waders or under them (tragically concealing the cool bird logos). A nicely made product for $22/pair.

The Flex IIs have the shin and knee plates in a straight line, rather than having the knee plate curve in toward the user, as on the Shifts. The Flex ones seem better for walking.

soccer shin pads and roofers knee pads would be lighter, more comfy and cheaper.

Back