scott s4 or sage vxp

Fishman12992

Fishman12992

Which would be better suited for pa streams like oil creek the s4 or vxp.. I already own a vxp in a 7wt for steelheading but I'm looking for a good 4wt to lay down a nice small dry presentation. I have no experience with the scott but, I can get one cheaper then the vxp. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated thanks, Doug.

If I had to choose one of those models....VXP. Given a wider range of rods, I'd bet neither would make many people's lists of 4 weight weapons. The s4 is basically a 5 weight. Judging from your selections, I'll guess you are in the $400-$500 range. You may want to consider a St Croix Elite, Hardy Zenith on clearance, Grey's XF2 or one of the models from Loop. All of those are in the $300-$450 range. Don't overlook the Winston Passport or GVX models either. I think any one of those would be more suited to presentation.

According to the 2012 4 weight shootout…….

Hardy Zenith Can be found on closeout for $400 - $500
Sage TXL $600+
Winston BIIIx $700+
Sage One $700+
Beulah Platinum

While at the Somerset show, I casted the Beulah Platinum 884-4. I really was blown away by that rod. It was one of the nicest casting rods that I have ever cast at any price range. It loaded really well, could cast far if needed, but would lay down that yarn practice fly with great delicacy. They run $395 and have great function from what I have seen and really nice cosmetics to boot! Beulah is more known for 2 handed rods, but the 4 weight I casted was awesome. If I were going to get a 4 weight for me, it would either be a Scott G2 (more expensive) or that Beulah at this point.

I have not tried the scott but I did build a VXP from a kit for a customer and he loves it. wish I could help you with the rest. I believe "Heberly" has a hardy zenith and could offer insight on it if he sees this

The S4 is also a nice rod but much faster than its replacement, the Radian. I have casted both. The VXP also has nice cosmetics (never casted one) but for dry presentations, I would focus on a softer rod if that style suits you. 8-9 foot 4 weights really are sweet rods!

Here are some choices if you can find a deal on any (new or used):

Scott G2 884-4
Scott G2-844-4
TFO Finesse 894-4 (cheapest in price by far)
Scott Radian 864-4
Sage ZXL (if you can find one...I have a 590 that I love) in 486-4
Redington CT or Tempt 864-4 (on sale in many spots)

Sometimes more expensive catches the fisherman more than the fish. Trust me, I try alot of gear. Ask anyone on here! :)

I just had a VXP built and it's just ok. I wasn't blown away. I'm trying to factor in lawn casting in 10 degree weather but it wasn't what I'd hoped for. I cast another guy's and it was sweet. It was also much warmer and I don't know what line he had on it. I contacted Rio and Sage for line suggestions. I narrowed it to SA GPX or Rio Grand. They both suggested Rio Perception. Instead of being a full line overweight with a short head, the Perception line I'd 1/2 line weight heavier and more of an all around line. Once spooled and cast, I can provide feedback.

Has anyone tried the sage circa? I'm thinking of going to the dealer and try it out. I don't really need something fast but, accuracy and versatility is what I'm looking for. I need to find a fly shop that sells Scott;. Thanks for the other recommendations I will have to find a place that carries those brands. I think I'm still going to pick up that s4 for nymphing for 400 bucks I can't say no.

Grabbing the s4 for $400.....nobody can blame you for that. If you make it to a Sage dealer, cast the Circa and TXL. If you get a chance to hit a shop that carries them, cast a Scott G2. One of the nicest feeling / casting rods I've ever held.

I know someone selling a 9ft 5wt G2 if anybody is interested. Can give you his #. $350

The TXL is no longer available. It has been replaced by the TXL-F.

The Circa is a sweet dry fly rod.

Are they willing to ship?

Not really sure. Shoot me a pm and I will pass a long his info.

Get the best rod you can afford. But make sure you cast the rod with the setup you're going to use on it. Then try some similar rods just to make sure.

I have a scott4 in 6wt and my cousin has it in 5wt. it is a FAST rod. I would not by this rod to fish specifically drys. I have a TFO finesse and really like it for PA streams, both deys and nymphs. I have the TFO signature 2 in a 3wt that is very nice for PA streams. I fished a scott G2 4wt, out west using sz 20 tricos and loved it. landed several 20"+ fish with it. I had a st croix legend elite 4wt and really liked that rod, until it got stolen, that's when I got the finesse.

everyone is different on how they cast. best thing is to go try out different rods to match your style, my style may be different than yours.

Back