Sage reels

NickR

NickR

In the market for a new reel. Anybody have ecperience with Sage reels that can give an opinion?

I have a 1680 that I use for steelhead fishing. Its a good reel. It's well built, has a great drag, and the 1600 series has a good price point. I hope that helps.

I never actually held one in my hand. That does help. I would probably be using it for a similar application like steelhead or big trout in big water. Thanks for the reply! Any others?

Can't you get a.deal on a Redington Rise? You'll get my vote for Galvan Torque, Ross Evolution or Nautilus. Lamson Guru, Velocity or Litespeed are also quality products.

IMO the 1600 is cheaply made and heavy. The upper series are over priced compared to features of other reels in the same price range. To my knowledge none are made in the US.

Andy makes some good recommedations. I'd add Bauer.

Aren't you a guide? I'd get affiliated with some programs.

Affiliated with Sage, Redington, Orvis, and a couple others. Probably will pick between the three have not had any experience using Sage.

I appreciate you fellows knowlege in helping me make a decision. I own a Hardy, Orvis, Lamson, and Pflueger. Keep....purchasing....gear....cannot....stop!

Redington Rise seems to be a great reel with mostly positive feedback. Cannot believe I did not purchase one yet. Might be a nice new addition.

The better sages are viable if you are in the pro program. Again, I thought the 16xx and 18xx series were junk. Seems they have scrwed up their product line even worse now. "Click" seems like the only viable fresh water reel.

the click reels are great reels and wholly and totally overpriced.

have owned a 1600 since they came out,(@2008?) IMHO good quality reel for a $100. I have had issues with freezing at >28*f have to keep it dry at that and lower temps.

I have several Sage reels. They are good quality and well made but are expensive. I bought my reels when they were discontinued and new models came out. I got a break on the price then. ;-)

I have the sage 1830 4 weight reel and I've hammered it for two years with absolutely no issues. I love it. I did a review on it on my blog a while back.

I have the 4600 series reel, but since it was only released in the beginning of september I cannot give you a true review of it. But I will say that I love the reel and have not had any issues with it yet. The true test will be this fall/winter when I get to test the drag on some nice steelhead.

Back