Sage One 4wt....or Helios 2...or Zenith ???

D

dryfly

Howdy gang !
New guy here....have been lurking for awhile...
Looking for a new 9'4wt...and as the title says I cant decide between the Helios 2, Sage One, or Zenith.
I have read the on-line 4wt and 5wt shoot-outs and various reports/reviews..and I have casted all 3 at the Fly Show..and liked them all...My nod went to the Sage as it felt to me a little more responsive...more feeling all the way down the blank...while the Helios 2 seemed less so...but I dont know what they had for demo lines...my mistake for not asking...

Have any of you here had the pleasure to compare these 4wts on the water ? and what line were you throwing?

That Sage One 9'3wt has my attention too!!!

I own a decent quiver of rods....really dont need a new one...but...well...some of you probably know how that goes....

Thanks !

Heard great things about 3 weight sage one, I used to have the same config in z axis and have been kicking myself for selling it.

Thanks Ausable....I also have a Z-Axis...but in a 9'5wt... and love it.....Im kicking myself for not getting it in a 4wt when it was available discontinued for 400 bucks...

I have both the Helios (not 2) and the Zenith. I think the Zenith wins hands down.

I love the rod, it cast more smoothly and is more sensitive than any other rod I have. It is now my favorite.

What method is your favorite to use when fishing? If you nymph a lot a 10' or the 11' Switch is a better option Imho. The Sage One is a really great rod...with a sticker price to cause heart failure. You can get a Z axis used or never used of Fleabay for a lot less.

I have the "new fly rod bug"....its not good. Last year I purchased a discontinued 9'5wt Orvis Hydros tip-flex.... and it is pretty cool switching back and forth to and from the Z-Axis at times. I seem to enjoy the Hydros a tad bit more than the Z....That Sage One is calling my name because I noticed it to be a bit more crisp than my Z.

I recently purchased a Hardy Zenith. I have nothing but good things to say about this rod. Hardy makes some really nice stuff and they have style too. Also, check out the Yellowstone 5 Weight Shootout. Hardy Zenith has taken the gold for multiple years. They do a nice write up to compare Sage, Orvis and Hardy.

I own a Zenith 490 and 590. I love them both. Was also impressed with their customer service. Broke a rod on in Montana (my fault) and called Hardy from a shop that had my same 4 wt in stock. They let me take the broken section from the shop's rod that day and didn't even charge me the full replacement fee. It was awesome of the shop to agree to that as well....

Also got to fish a guides 1 piece Zenith 6 wt. That was super sweet. The logistics of a 1 piece rod doesn't work for me though...

I've had Rio Gold lines on both Rods. Used a 4 and 5 on the 490 and have used a 5 and 6 on the 590. I feel like the matching line works best. I'm due for new lines and thinking of trying the Rio Grand.

Get whichever one psychs you up the most! They are all great rods.

The Sage One and the Helios are both Top Shelf rods....... but so expensive?

I have a Helios 3wt. A 8'4" mid flex with recoil guides. It's the lightest rod in the world (that's why I purchased it) and it has the best casting action in the world.

Every cast if perfect with a good rod, and the fight from a small fish is a beautiful thing! If you get a good rod, you won't have to upgrade all the time? I love to fly fish, so I had to get the best rod available ...... the Helios!

Back