Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rookie

Is there much of a difference between a 4 wt and a 5wt line? Any recommendations as to which I should go with?

Posted on: 2007/9/13 20:21

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Others have mentioned it and I concur. Either a 8ft 6 5wt or 9ft 5wt would be most ideal to start with and for most PA streams. Don't pick something based soley on appearance, recommendation or price. Get a chance to feel several rods load and cast them. Then select the one that feels best within your price range. I would say medium-medium fast is probably the action you'd be looking for.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 20:52

From Greensburg, PA
Get some sponge spiders for that bluegill hole and fish them on top. Maybe a couple small nymphs under an indicator. It'll be just like using a bobber. You won't need any bait.

Not sure what the link problem is. Works fine here.
Hope this address isn't long..try copying and pasting.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfis ... age=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=

Posted on: 2007/9/13 21:26

Guest_
MikeMus:
As suggested, (by tomgamber),STAY AWAY from "trying bait for a while to learn to hook fish, on a fly rod"! "Bait" sinks and you truly won't learn A THING about "hooking fish with a fly rod", if you can't see what you're doing! Not, that is, until way down the line when you may want to try fishing nymphs, etc.
For now, to learn "what to do when it happens", and for what I personally consider; "the fun and art of all fly fishing", get those suggested foam spiders, or beetles, etc, and try for the sunnies.
Use SMALL ones, in sizes 14, as the largest and #16s as the ideal size range. White and yellow work great for sunnies and most all pan fish, I've found.
"Learning to hook fish on a fly", is pretty well all about "visual reactions/timing" and again, you can't do that, if you can't see the fish and fly interaction!!

Posted on: 2007/9/13 23:59

Great Advice, I guess I have to get out of that bait mentaility, Good thing is I have someone that gave me some foam beetles and terrestrials so I'm gonna head out as soon as my gear arrives. First I'll have to practice how to cast and roll cast first. But I know an excellent spot for sunnies.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 10:22

From Bozeman
Mike,

Don't forget that you can't roll cast without water! You need the surface tension to make it work. It won't work in the yard. Be sure to practice that one on a pond or something.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 10:42

good point

Posted on: 2007/9/14 11:08

From Lehigh Valley, PA
You might as well practice your casting on the water. Catching sunnies on a fly requies very little skill, and it makes th whole experience more fun.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 14:45

- Homer J. Simpson

From Ohio
Might I suggest some wet flies, soft hackles in particular, and some wooly buggers. You can't fish them wrong and its never the wrong time to fish them. Find some hungry trout and have at 'em.

Posted on: 2007/9/15 12:42

From North Catty
Mike,

As someone who just started back in February of this year I will tell you that IM POOR!!! VERY, VERY POOR!!!!

Second I started with the same Cabelas combo that was linked on the first page of this thread and I love it. It was a great rod to learn with and it was quite forgiving while I was learning to cast.

Thrid, I have since bought many other rods, reels, line etc... and I found that my favorite rod and reel (believe it or not) is my eagle claw 5ft 4wt. with a cabelas prestige reel. This is my go to rod for trout! I have more expensive gear and I like those rods but my cheap $14.99 ugly yellow eagle claw is my favorite (ill probably catch crap for that one) I have also found a cheap fly line called Nova that I really like as well. as I am not well off and need to cut corners where ever I can I have found some cheap alternatives. If you need some more ideas or want to hit the stream some time send me a message. I am by no means a pro hell I'm not even seasoned, but I would be willing to show you what I know.

Bob

PS I'm in Lansdowne

Posted on: 2007/9/17 18:40

OK I just got my equipment! I have a 100YD spool of backing how much should I put on? Also, I'm assuming I should put all of the fly line on too.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 19:40

From Greensburg, PA
What reel did you get?

Posted on: 2007/9/18 21:21

cabela's prestige plus. Traditional Rod 8'6. I put on about 40 yards of backing or so and the whole fly line. I think that'll do me fine on the streams I'll be fishing on. My first couple false casts weren't as bad as I expected but I already know I'm gonna need a lot of work on my cast. Practice, Practice, Practice

Posted on: 2007/9/18 22:40

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Sounds like a solid beginner setup, congrats! Ideally, between backing and line your spool should be filled I believe 1/3 inch in from the outer perimiter of the spool.

Also, if you're practicing on land, you might want to think about either practicing on water or getting a cheap line to cast with on land. Casting on land can chew up your line pretty good if not careful.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/9/18 22:46

From Greensburg, PA
Just remember, if you are not going for any great distance, your back cast shouldn't go much past vertical. This is the biggest casting mistake beginners make. Make your backcast with as much power as your forecast and let the line straighten out before yuo bring it forward. You'll have better luck. Also use more shoulder and elbow than wrist. Lock that wrist.

Posted on: 2007/9/19 9:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com