Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Rookie

From Bozeman
tabasco joe,

I do believe that cabela's will let you cast their rods. Unless, of course, you bought them online or through the catalog.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 13:09

From bucks cty
Quote:

jayL wrote:
tabasco joe,

I do believe that cabela's will let you cast their rods. Unless, of course, you bought them online or through the catalog.

I've been up there a hundred times and was not aware that they would let you cast one. I'll have to check that out next time. Still my point is that a beginner usually has flaws in his casting stroke that prevent much of a useful "feel". If a learned eye was helping it might be more productive. That's more likely to happen at a shop. Don't get me wrong, I love Cabelas and I have the Cabelas Visa Club bills to prove it! Just bought a rod, two reels, and line yesterday. TFO 8'6" 3 weight. I also may have bought a Cabelas FT rod if I could have cast it. They are on sale almost half price.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 14:10

Wow, thanks you so far for all your tips and information. Other than Cabela's would you recommend any fly fishing shops near Philadelphia.

Posted on: 2007/9/11 14:54

From Greensburg, PA
Check the list on the side of the page above...start with the closest..the locals will narrow it down for you from there I bet.

Posted on: 2007/9/11 15:04

From Pittsburgh, PA
I just started a few months ago. I believe my method for buying gear was pretty sufficient.

First, buy your own stuff. If you borrow someone's two bad things could happen.

1. You could damage their equipment
2. You will get frustrated, because chances are, you won't be catching many fish at first. If you are using someone else's stuff, you won't feel obligated to keep trying.

Go to a fly shop or cabela's or dicks and find a combo that has everything you need to start (at least 8' rod #5/#6 line weight, reel, backing, maybe some flies)

I got mine for $40. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't spend more for 2 reasons.

1. You are either going to love fly fishing or hate it. You will want an upgrade rod soon enough (even if you aren't catching fish), or be sorry that you spent the money. If you're probably going to upgrade soon anyway, why spend $100 on a cheapo rod.

2. If you ever want to let someone borrow your spare, you don't have to worry about it getting wrecked.

Make sure you have a level or Weight Forward line. Doesn't really matter at first which one. If you get a level line casting will be harder at first but you will be better at casting when you buy a Weight Forward (WF) line later.

Knowledge is more important than equipment. Buy a beginning fly fishing book. I would recommend Lefty Kreh's Ultimate Guide to Fly Fishing. Buy a fly tying book that has lots of pictures so you can start learning flies. I would recommend The Fly-Tying Bible by Peter Gathercole. These two have helped me a lot.

You will need to build an arsenal of flies. No way around spending $ there. Go to a fly shop though. Start out with popular flies.

Read a lot. Fish a lot. Keep trying. You will love it.

Any questions send me a message

JB

Posted on: 2007/9/11 15:35

Just a tip. Go to your local library and look at the books and dvds on flyfishing there. I find the books will help you locate areas to fish, talk about types of gear and techniques from rigging to casting. (free) I was plesantly surprised at what my library carried.

I also would recommend based on the numbers of folks evolving through their gear (noted from above in the link) you look on Ebay for used equipment. I am not an Ebay guy, never bought anything there but my buddy gets AWESOME deals on there. I am the kinda guy that likes to be able to have a little more recourse and deal directly with the manufactor or a flyshop. But if you buy other stuff on there why not. Paul

Posted on: 2007/9/11 17:14

Ok great, so lets talk leaders. How many leaders do you usually take with you on an outing. I've been looking at how to tie knots but I don't know how often the break or how often they need to be replaced.

Posted on: 2007/9/12 21:13

From Greensburg, PA
I have a leader wallet. Looks kind of like a regular wallet but filled only with little zip bags just the right size for leaders. Every once in a while I buy a bunch and fill it. Some days I only leave wit teh one on my reel. Other times I have a wallet full. What is more important is to have a few different size spools of tippet material to be able to reconstruct or alter your leader when necessary.

Posted on: 2007/9/12 21:39

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I have a ziplock bag to hold my leaders. When I buy them, I put them in there and then they go in a gear bag. I have several in my vest and the bulk in the gear bag. The vest has a ziplock filled with leaders too, still in their little plastic bags.

As for tying knots, get used to it. Get some cheap mono and practice tying them. You'll need to re-tie tippet to the leader often. Sometimes more than you would like. I'll change a leader when its pretty tattered or in cases where I'm just sick of tying tippet to my leader. Generally though I use tippet as a whole spool is more economical than replacing the whole leader, even the flouro is cheaper that way.

Posted on: 2007/9/12 21:53

awesome I'm learning so much on here. I'm already addicted and I haven't even hit the water yet with a fly rod.

Posted on: 2007/9/12 22:17

From Westmoreland Co
When I first started I would use this method of leader/tippet connection.

Buy a standard tapered leader, 7-9 ft and tie a double surgeons loop on the end of it. http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/DblSurgeons.html

Cut off a piece of tippet (long enough) and tie another dsl on one end of it. Put your tippet loop half way through your leader loop and then insert the tag end of your tippet through the tippet loop. Pull tight and you instantly have your connection. Once your tippet gets too short cut it off and tie on a new piece. This will save you from having to reconstruct your leader. Eventually you'll probably want to do it differently but for the time being that should work out well for you (unless you get knots in your leader which is bound to happen eventually)

Hopefully thats a good tip for you in these beginning stages.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 14:33

From Greensburg, PA
If you can tie that loop, you can tie tippet directly to your leader with Strength-wise.exactly the same knot I'm also not a fan of loops in mid leader. I use them between my fly line and leader but I, personally think loop leader to tippet connections are weak.

BTW that site will be your best friend for a while...

Posted on: 2007/9/13 15:20

From Westmoreland Co
Tom while I don't use that connection anymore and haven't for quite a few years when I first started that was my go to rig. I know some guys don't like but I never had it break or come apart even when landing steelhead. Easy and effective is the key so I say go with whatever works best for you.

On a side note I am unable to resolve the link you posted though it sounds like it might be a great site.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 17:21

good stuff, one of the things I may do to learn how to hook fish is use live bait for a little with my fly rod on the pennypack for sunnies. Any suggestions on hooks/sizes. I plan on buying my flies from Cabela's to start since it will be awhile until I have the time to learn how to tie my own flies.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 19:51

From Olyphant PA
Also when you find your local fly shop ask them to give you a quick rundown on how to tie some basic knots like the DOUBLE SURGEON'S LOOP,when i first started i found it to be a lot easier when someone showed me how to tie knots then reading it on paper or on the internet.also ask alot of questions like what are they biting on and ask them to show you the fly and what sizes.i started about this time last year and i still ask all kinds of questions when i visit the fly shop...try and stock up on flies before you hit the water cause you might be in the trees alot or sometimes when you first start learning to cast you might snap you fly off and you will be fishing with no fly on your line till you check it.. that happend to me about a million times..haha.but most of all never give up there had a be 100 times when i wanted to snap my rod in half and go home and give up..then after a while when you get in the swing of things there wont be a day that goes by when you find yourself day dreaming about flyfishing....have fun

Posted on: 2007/9/13 20:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
119 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com