Rod Advice

J

jadorus

I'm sure it's probably a popular and frowned upon question on here, but what is everybody's fly rod manufacturer of choice?

I have always been a "Sage Guy" and I find it hard to keep my mind open to other brands. I recently fished an Orvis Clearwater II rod Steelhead fishing, and I must say, that's a heck of a rod for the price...

What does everyone think?

I guess I'm an Orvis guy. I have a ZeroG and T3, both pretty nice rods. In the near future I'm gonna be in the market for a 8' 4wt and will certainly be looking at the other rod companies along with Orvis.

Ive always fished cabelas rods. But I'm ready to try some thing new. I love my Three forks rod, it's better then all the rods I paid 2-3 times as much.

Orvis

Dear jadorus,

It ain't the saw it's the sawyer.

One man's choice in a rod might be another man's tomato stake but both of them will fish effectively using the other's fly rod if they are any good.

Personally, I don't think there has been a significant or truly marketable change in graphite fly rods for at least 10 or 15 years. In that time at least 50 popular models of fly rods have been sent to Davy Jones' locker, and for what reason?

The reason is simple, if they change the model designation and the color of the blank they can ask $ 50.00 or $ 100.00 more for the same thing. And once they got that money, they changed the wraps and added another $ 75.00 to the price.

$ 800.00 fly rods? They are depreciating assets. You are better off buying last season's model from a guy who got bored or laid off rather than spending the big bucks for name or cosmetic change.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

FE Thomas & Payne. :-D :-D :-D

St. Croix!

Fiberglass fishers get more action.

-Dave

The only thing that becomes obsolete with most rods is the marketing.

As for my favorite maker/model, hands down the Winston WT.

St. Croix have been good to me.

Scott or Winston - its a coin-flip

Loomis.

I love to cast the real expensive sages, scotts, winstons, etc. but can't afford them.

I'm still looking for a scott a2 on the cheap, but I probably couldn't even afford that now.

I forgot about my loomis, but I do love that rod (7'6" 4 wt.). I wish I built it in a 9' instead. (Great deal on a kit from cabelas a few years back).

It's probably my smoothest casting rod.

However, I own 3 avids and they are my go-to rods.

Mkern,

Do you have the GL3?

I built mine from a cabelas kit as well, so we might have the same rod. Mine is a 9' 5wt. If you like the 4wt, you'll love the 5.

When Tom Morgan owned Winston all Winston blanks were made by Loomis to Morgan's design.

I'm a Sage guy too, but Tim Murphy nailed it. It ain't the saw it's the sawyer.

If the rod feels right in your hands when you cast it, the price is right and the warranty is what you are looking for then pull the trigger!

Wow! I never expected to get such a response!

Maybe, for something new, I should try dabbling in making my own from a blank. Does anyone have advice on this or reference to a good site/book/article/etc?

Search the forum for rod building. A few of us have written detailed accounts of our experience. You'll find a lifetime worth of reading in the links included in those threads.

Before the bamboo bug. It was Sage.

Joe E

Back