Rock stuck in ferrule

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

So, after a 50 min drive, we step out of the truck and start gearing up... ya know, trying to get to the water faster than that guy who just pulled in behind you.

I break my usual cycle of putting my 4 piece together, and instead of putting the top two pieces together, then the bottom two, in a rush, I pieced the top three sections and set it upright in the gravel...

... low and behold, just the right size of a piece of gravel jams into my ferrule, and upon trying to remove it with hemo's, it gets jammed up even further, about half way.

My thinking is (yes, I do have press experience) is to just get a skinny drill bit and delicately break it into pieces so it all falls out, then cleaning the ferrule inside.

I was able to fit my butt section on, and it did fish fine, but thankfully I didn't need the flex for any bruisers...
What do you fellas think?

Please, no lectures on how to put your rod together... one time mistake.

btw... loyalhanna dhalo is fishing well. Check for a report later. We also hit some local wild/native stretches with the 1 & 2 wts., and hit a trifecta of all species, one brook that was above 12. Will include pics.

that sucks, wonder how it would expand/contract.....maybe take it to the sauna and loosen her up....

I dunno, but I figure once you hit it with a drill, if you don't push it deeper and against the tightening piece, it'll just spin.. Either way, it'll eat the insides up.

I second the idea of running hot water over it, then a short, sharp tap directly down on something soft. Pray it expands enough, and that the other half of your rod didn't jam it too far up there.

Also, be prepared to lie about it to your manufacturer when you send it back. :)

Always a spare rod, even on short trips. Never say never; I'll never sit on another bamboo rod or flex them into a J (LOL). I'm glad you finished the day and fixed the ferrule.

Joe E

Depending on how far up, how 'bout a dab of liquid nails on the end of say a Q-tip let it set overnight then hopefully pull it right out? Just have to be careful not to touch the sides.

gfen wrote:

I dunno, but I figure once you hit it with a drill, if you don't push it deeper and against the tightening piece, it'll just spin.. Either way, it'll eat the insides up.

I second the idea of running hot water over it, then a short, sharp tap directly down on something soft. Pray it expands enough, and that the other half of your rod didn't jam it too far up there.

Also, be prepared to lie about it to your manufacturer when you send it back. :)

I plan on wrapping the blank then getting in secured on the vice.. and I'm talking a very very small bit with short strokes just to get it broke up enough to fall out...

you think this sounds ok?

going to the try the non-invasive techniques tonight for sure, but if I don't get it out with those, I might give the press a whirl.

I'm really p1ssed about this, as it's my rx8+... wasn't a cheap blank

How deep is it? I think you are going to have a heck of a time using a non-masonry bit as it is going to be incredibly thin and likely break at any distance at all.

How I would proceed:

Warm water to see if it expands with sharp whack down on a padded surface.

Thick gel super glue to end of dowel rod and get it to set on rock and see if you can pull it out.

Last I would attempt to drill ONE tiny hole through the rock, then use a bobbin threader to push kevlar thread through the hole. Spin the threader which should cause more thread to pile up behind the rock and otherwise grab the rock. Then gently pull it out. Also, I would have some silicone lube shot in there before trying the last two options.

I think the bit would mess up the inner walls of your ferrule, it'll be jumping all over the place. The idea above with the Q tip might work you could also use apoxy but you would have to make sure you didn't get it on the rod. You could also try a small high pressure fitting on a air hose.

I would not try to drill it out this is just asking for a busted rod. I would give it a shot of WD 40 and then short raps on a piece of hard rubber or a table top padded with several layers of newspaper. this should work very much like a bullet puller does to remove a bullet from a live casing. Be patient and just keep tapping. Is there any chance of pushing it out from the other end. Or give it a shot of compressed air from the other end. Most rods are hollow nowadays.

thanks guys, i really appreciate it...

pics are up in the stream report section.

will keep you all apprised of the progress & end result w. whatever method I'm going to use. My buddy built it, I may give him a call tonight and see what he says.

I was thinking what Jdaddy was. put a dab of ssuperglue on the end of a rod smaller than the female ferule and shove it in till it touches the stone. Then let it set for the prescribed time and pull it out.

drill will ruin it.

after the glue sets-shoot a little silicon lube down there.

Good point Pete. If you go the route of glue then silicon spray AFTER using the glue. If you go this route also use a thick gel CA/superglue to avoid dripping it into the ferrule.

u guys have me geeked out haha

karma hit me hard this time :(

I like the glue idea, but if that doesn't work.....

If that doesn't work, how steady is your hand? Can you take an ice pick, or something really strong/pointy/sharp and stick it in the furl, rest it on the rock, and give it a firm wrap with a hammer and break the rock up a bit? This can end in potential disaster, but if the glue hasn't worked and you've exhausted all other reasonable options, it might be your only choice.

Too bad you can't somehow create a vacuum and suck it out, that might work after a generous dosing of WD40.

dupe

Liquid nails to the end of a rod sounds like the plan. Not superglue, the epoxy in LN, etc, is way superior to a superglue, especially with joining metal to rock.

Failing that, I still wouldn't drill it. Leave it in there if you can snug it up with it inside, your chances of smashing it on a fish are less than of you ripping up the inside of the graphite with the drill.

Good point. I don't think I would try the drill. Just wondering but what happens if the glue,whatever type you use, does not work? Now there is a stick I'm there too. Is there a warranty? My .2 fish er and when she goes then it won't be as big of a lie to the manufacturer. Best of luck to you.

instead of a drill, why not a dremmel? Just sand the heck out of the rock with course bit and see if it loosens up. I agree that the drill bit may put too much pressure on the rock and may mess up the inside of the ferrule.

So this is one of the two mid sections right?

If so, I would probably pop/pry out the seal at the male ferrule on the opposite end of the section and push from the other end with a straightened coat hanger to dislodge the piece.

I wouldn't use power tools on a blank unless i was intending to cut it. Graphite blanks are really easy to cut or damage with drills, dremels, etc.

I wouldn't use super glue inside the ferrule either. One slip and you'll have a glob that will prevent the ferrule from seating well if at all.

Kev

Back