Rio avid trout or gold? Is it worth the extra money for the gold line?

D

DJBerg

So I'm building up a 7-8' small stream rig... Pretty set on either a 3wt 8'3" mystic m series or a 7'3" 4wt... Either way I'm trying to see if it's really worth the extra money for the gold vs the avid?

Thanks again DJ

Never fished the avid. I do have Rio gold, it's a good line. They all cast just fine. I can say that it floats well for me. Too early to say on longevity but I've heard good things.

I kind of liked the color transition idea. But it's too far down the line, in a year of fishing it, I haven't casted it far enough in a fishing situation to see the transition go beyond the rod tip, lol. Might as well be a single color.

Pat

Without digging into too much, I believe the Avid lines do not have the same technologies built into them. I have the Rio Gold and have used it since it came out. It's very durable and casts great!
When it comes to fly lines, spend the extra money.
Lines can be more important than the reel or even the rod.

Thanks guys, yeah theres definitely more to the gold. And I have mainline on my 8wt so ya know just trying to save a few bucks... And after really looking at the line and it's tapering it seems to be the main differences are, it is the same exact taper as the rio grand, minus the dual color line, and a few high end tech goodies... I donno still undecided on it, and as they say everything made now is decent, so I'll probably be very satisfied with either one...

Thanks again, and I'm hoping to find someone who has fished both for a good comparison point...

AS all the manufacturers do they make several different lines for different situations. rio's mainstream is a softer line for slower style of casting and rods. it performs well on glass and boo along with the IM6 style of blanks. The avid is slightly stiffer type of line and will perform on the IM7 (mid to slightly stiff rods) type of blanks and the gold will perform best on the stiffer rods as it is a stffer type of line. The gold is more of a fast tight loop style of line to punch those longer cast on the IM8+ rods. I sell rio and have cast all 3 and this is what I have come up with over the years..When i worked at orvis saw the same thing in their lines as well for cortland. determine what casting stroke and stiffness of the rod.

Well I went to the shop today... Ended up buying a redington rise 3/4wt, and went with the avid. While intending to wait until my new rod for this set up a mystic m series 8'3"...

Curiosity got the best of me i went to walmart, found a eagle claw black eagle 5wt for $20 and went to go see how much better this line is vs my mainline I have on my redington pursuit outfit...

Holy crap! This is a great little set up, the rod is definitely a medium flex and not sure if I would like it with a 5wt line on it but, it casts like a dream, and I can roll cast it 15-20' further than the 8wt pursuit! With aim control!

I'm not sure if it's just the line, or if that $20 pole was a golden nugget hidden in the depths of white trash consumer hell...

But all an all it's an awesome set up, heck I even hooked up to a carp( did not have the big net with me so when I landed it on the shore he broke the leader) but all I can say is wow! And now I'm really excited to see what this line will do on a "good" rod!

On a side note, the balance is way off on the outfit though, seems the reel loaded weights too much... Though after an afternoon of fishing it I could not tell...

I'm still just blown away at how much I like this setup...

Back