Redington Vapen Red

Kype

Kype

I have been hearing and reading some rave reviews on this rod on several sites. Does anyone have one of these or has anyone ever casted one? I think I want to get one for streamer fishing.

I can't get past the handle. Not even close. I'm not even that old school, but it's just a whopper of an eyesore.

I've come around on the handle. A bit. I initially saw no benefit to it and definitely prefer the feel of cork when wet. That said, after casting big flies on an 8 weight for pike all day, picking up that Vapen handle was an absolute dream. Sure, part of that was just going from 8 weight to 5 weight, but the cushion was definitely noticeable.

I posted some initial thoughts and will be posting a full review soon (hopefully in the next week or two).

I can definitely see it as a streamer rod, but definitely 6 or 7 weight. The 5 that I've been fishing with would still be too light, in my opinion, as a streamer rod.

Mariner wrote:
I can't get past the handle. Not even close. I'm not even that old school, but it's just a whopper of an eyesore.

Also, keep in mind you can get it with a cork handle.

That's a sweet rod... Almost looks like a sports car

Thank you Greenlander. That is the type of response I was looking for.

Kype wrote:

No problem. If you have specific questions, feel free to drop a PM.

I'll send along to the link to the review when I get it published.

Back