Redington or Simms?

L

Lonewolve

My pair of Redington Barrierflex are 14 years old approximately and i have patched the small holes and seams enough..its only been the last couple years that i had leaks ..probably due to just throwing them back into my wader bag wet and not hanging them up when i was done each time..my bad.
Well im in the market for a new pair of chest breathables and Redington did me good,also i hear many good things about Simms as well.
I also am thinking the waterproof zipper thing,another forum i am a mamber of ,has had a post with a slew of great replys about the zipper technology.
Redington Sonic Pros or Simms G4Z.
Decisions decisions,guys who have had or have simms what are your thoughts?
I wont even consider Hodgeman,Bailey,or Orvis,i cant seem to find the right sizing in thier models.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Willy J's......There I had to be different.

ll bean, 100% satisfaction.

Simms all the way!

Simms. Made in the USA and awesome customer service. Simms waders have a 1 year warranty for anything, no questions asked. I fell and put a hole in the seam on the knee. I sent them in, Simms fixed that hole and gave them a once over fixing every pinhole I wasn't aware of.

I was recommended to try Simms by some very hard core fishermen and haven't looked back and probably never will.

I've been using the Allen waders this season and so far am very happy with them, just something else to consider.

Simms for sure. The only brand of waders I never had trouble with. Their mid range, made in the USA models are well worth the price IMO, and I'm not one to just throw gobs of cash into my equipment. Their stuff is solid so they get my $$$.

boychick wrote:
Simms. Made in the USA and awesome customer service...

Not all Simms waders are made in the US. The Freestone and Blackfoot models are imported. The prices are reasonable on these models but they are not USA made.

The Headwaters models @$300 are Simms least expensive USA made waders. (I have them and love 'em.)

Kev

I've had the Redington CPX for about a year now and just sent them back for repair. No leaks, but the cosmetic seam covers on the boot feet were peeling and I was afraid they would damage the seams, plus there is a hole beginning to wear in the heel. My boots are probably too big and rubbing.

Otherwise they're great, and if they send me new ones to replace these cosmetic defects I'll be pretty confident in the company. That said, if I knew I would be mailing them back (and charged $30 for repair plus the shipping to get them there) I may have gone with Simms the first time around.

I'll let you know when I get them back...

I did not know that Simms makes some of their waders in other countries. Sorry for the mistake. I have the G3's. I know they are made in the USA. They are a little pricey but they're basically bullet proof. They are the best waders I've ever owned.

i have the sonic pros (non zip)
bombproof with a great fit
same ratio of 3 and 5 layer material as simms G4... but with no stitching
half the price... but i don't get to be cool and tell everyone i have simms waders

Simms, made in Montana, outstanding quality, sweet looking. Pricey, but you get to be the cool kid on the stream with Simms waders.

Sims without a doubt. Best waders on the market.

Everything Wader related item that I've bought from Simms over the last 2 years was complete garbage. 2 pairs of Vibram boots, both lasted about 6 months until the bottom was worn smooth and falling off. Their customer service sucks, IMO. If you don't own the top of the line stuff they don't want to help. The only thing I have from Simms that has lasted is a baseball hat. I know other forum members have had troubles wwith Simms quality lately, chime in people.

I just got my second pair of simms and I am absolutely not happy with the durability. Both legs are soaked after 5-6 trips, and I have visually identified holes on both inseams.

My simms g3 waders, however, lasted a few years and are still going strong in a backup role.

I will not pay full price for simms waders after this experience, but am curious to see what comes of my interaction with them. From my own experiences and the experiences of those I know, I have to say that simms is all bark, no bite when it comes to brand recognition. We're all victims of strong marketing, IMnHO.

Dear Rick,

There are two schools of thought regarding waders.

1) Get the absolute best you can afford and wait for them to fail so you can send them back and biotch about their customer service on the internet.

2) Go cheap knowing they will fail and treat them carefully. When they fail toss 'em.

I'm in camp # 2 mostly because I can get a pair of 2XL Orvis waders and fit in them. I know Orvis waders suck, but they fit me unlike every other pair of 2XL waders I've ever tried.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Guys,
thanks for the replies,Iknow its gonna be hard to find a replacement for my older Redington stockingfoots,they lasted 14 years and for the first six years i fished about 100-130 days a year in them.
Im currently in a toss up, I have heard nothing but good things about the Simms G4Z zipper model and the Sonic Pro by Redington.
My older Redington Barrierflex stockingfoots were made way before Sage bought Redington , I'm wondering if the quality and service is as good as it was at Redington.
Tim, I agree to a point about #2.I also know that the Simms i am looking at are a hellish amount of beans and that the Redingtons i also am looking at cost almost twice what i paid for the older Redingtons.But if i can get that kind of wear out of a pair,well one thing i have learned from traveling and fishing here and there is that we spend alot of time planning ,tying, and preparing for our lil addiction,makes no cents literally to have a problem with equipment by buying cheap stuff unless misery likes company.
I don't entertain discomfort at all where it pertains to my outdoor enjoyment, Be it hunting or fishing or anything else that deals with constant changing enviroments and weather.
I prefer to get warranties or great servicce albeit even if it costs a lil more.Waders are an area that i won't scrimp especially because i love to chase Salmon/Steelhead/and Lake Run Browns as well as fish during the winter.Being cold and wet is a recipe for disaster.
I was just asking for fellow anglers opions and or experiences.I have a Simms Guide Windstopper Guide jacket that is at least 13 years old and still works perfect.that is the reason I'm entertaining more Simms products.
And like everyone else i value and work long hours to make my money and money doesn't grow on trees.but Bad purchases make you spend way more than if you just bought the better product to start with..just my 2 cents.I am 6'3" 250-265 pounds so sizing is important to me.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. anyone else have experience with Simms Or Redington waders?

Dear Rick,

Hey, I got 9 years out of the worst waders ever made, Orvis Clearwaters. No one else anywhere ever liked them. They were too lightweight and they were an ugly bluish green color and they leaked according to everyone else. I guess I got the one good pair?

I'm 6'5" and 330, and Orvis 2XL's fit me like I paid a tailor to make them for me.

Personally, I can't see the need for 3 or 4 layers of breathable material in a wader. I mean, if one layer is breathable, and then you triple or quadruple the breathable material all it does is get more expensive and more sweatier. But I'm big and fat, so what do I know?

Get cheap waders that allow a range of movement and if you are one of those people that kneels alot buy a pair of wrestling kneepads to slip over your waders. You'll save 100's of dollars that way.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

my buddies are simms advocates, yet, within a year of all having g3 or g4's, sprung a leak.

since they are guides, they do get a sickening discount, which keeps them with the company, however, if you buy simms as a laymen and they leak, they repair upon you sending them back.

gonia on the other hand... replaces

i'm not sure on redington, but I would go with gonia's or beans man... can't beat the guarantee

Back