Redington CT vs. TFO Profressional (rod length question)

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

I have been doing some research on these two rods and figured why not ask if you guys had any thoughts on these. I am looking to get a small stream rod and am interested in the 7'6" 3 weight. I currently own a 8'6" 5 and an 8'6" 8 weight so I am looking for something a little smaller.

I guess my main question is what do I gain and lose with using a small rod? I am mainly going to be fishing the Little Lehigh, Valley Creek, and a few streams out west. The largest body of water I plan on fishing will be the yough and I will always use my 5 weight for that. I am just afraid that a 8'6" rod might make me a little clumsy on smaller streams. I plan on using an Allen Trout or Alpha 3 weight reel with whatever rod I have.

I know my 5 weight will work for the little lehigh and valley, but when I hit small brookie streams (and small warm water fish creeks)I am thinking I want a shorter rod....If you guys think my 8'6" is fine then I might just use the money to update the reel I have (white river hobbs creek) on both my 5 and 8 weights.

Thanks Guys,
Steven

I think the 8'6 rod is fine, but I like longer rods. More reach = more line control and ability to "dap", aka fish like a child does for bluegills, your flies from farther away.

I use the longest rod I can get away with. If you're not having a lot of issues getting around with the 8'6'', imo you should use it. 3wts are toys in my opinion. They're enjoyable, but provide no real advantages, only disadvantages in a tradeoff for novelty. If you're thinking about practicality, I think you're covered.

There are tons of guys that are into the super short and light rods thing. If you want to go that route, I am sure they will chime in.

guess I could always buy a cheap 7 foot rod like an Eagle Claw as a straight up beater rod on those super small streams....

Not me.

I'd say an 8' 4wt is a better starter than an 8'6" 5, but not so different than what you have to bother.

Also, your reel is more than adequate. Buy what you want, but you have what you need.

FWIW, if you really want a short 3wt I have a 6'6" bean I no longer want or need. Deal may be made.

you got not one, but two PM's heading your way Gfen

I use a Redington CT 4WT - 8'6" and fish valley and the LL a lot. I think that combo works well. You can even chuck some good streamers and fish tricos on it...wait maybe its 8'....

For the past 2 yrs I've fished 6.5 ft 2wt. for brookies. Yeah you put a handy cap by using that rod wt. and lenght but some guys like the challenge of light equip.

I fish the Little Lehigh with a 7'6" 4wt, and my wife prefers an 8'6" 4wt. They both work, but I like the shorter rod. Valley Creek is 7'6" 4wt only.

would a person gain or lose anything by a 7'6" 5 weight instead of a 3 weight at the same length?

The 5 would be able to toss heavier stuff and handle wind/brush better. I have a 7'6" 3 wt and find very little use for it, but it does present dries and light nymph rigs well. My advice is to look hard at an 8' 4wt...

Thanks for all the help. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Cabelas Three Forks Fly Rod? I know they are a cheap rod, but would it be worth it to have for $30(on sale). I was originally thinking about getting a decent Redington CT rod in 7'6" 3, but I do not know how much I would actually use it since most places I fish could be done with my 8'6" 5....this is just me being indecisive...

You really just have an adverse reaction to savings, dont you?

The reason the 8'6" 5wt is the default is because its versatile. Lopping a foot off isnt going to really make any difference in casting but it's gonna make a difference in presentation. I like willowy little rods but they're not helpful, either but a hindrance.

FWIW the 6'6" 3wt I suggested normally caries a 4 for better versatility and is just as prone to hanging inbranches as an 8' rod.

You really just have an adverse reaction to savings, dont you?

I do not know why, but I do.....I like to spend my money. When I get money I am always looking for the new thing I want to get. I just sold a guitar so I have all this money and no idea what I want to spend it on. I SHOULD save it, thats what the wife would like too

I don't understand what anyone would do with more than one fly rod. :cool:

Wait til you start to see a shortcoming, then spend it on the nicest thing you can. Complete this year and youll be better armed to know what you really want.

Also gives you time to try out different stuff to see whats missing in your kit. I don't know valleybut there's no major need for a short rod for LL.

If we meet up again and there's time I'll let you try some shorter lighter rods. They're defiantly less forgiving.

Waste money? That's what my wife thinks and based on what I actually use she's right.

Oddly enough, the last few I've acquired have all been stupid light. Sigh. Do as I say not as I do should be my actual behavior.

I'm embarrassed by own hubris.

//EDIT//

Gfen....you said you have a Quest ll that is a 6'6"? I could not find that on their site.....they had a 7'6" 4 weight. Whenever you get back let me know what you are thinking about your Bean rod....

I do need to try some lighter rods out. I can honestly say that I have never tried to cast anything lighter or shorter then my 8'6" 5, so I might not even like it.....its just me wanting some new gear and thinking it would be fun to have a light rod. Mainly because I do plan on hitting some small streams and think the smaller fish would be feel better on a lighter rod. Also, I do a lot of warm water fishing bluegill and small bass. I just think I would feel them fighting so much more with a lighter rod. If I am chasing the big boys I have my 8 weight....

My one thought is to buy a cheaper rod like a Berkley, White River Hobbs Creek, or a Cabelas Three Forks to just see if I would like it....if not then I am not out an arm and a leg (if I decided after the return date)...

But like I said.....I should probably go try some out

Anyone that drives a Honda Element does not know the meaning of the word "embarrassed".

Steven - I have one of those Three Forks 7'6" 3wts. For $30, you'll kick yourself for not buying one. You'll need to make a rod tube for it though. A piece of pvc pipe, and some end caps, and you'll be set.

I have one of those Three Forks 7'6" 3wts. For $30, you'll kick yourself for not buying one.

I am going to wait to see what Gfen wants for his Bean....and then I am going to have to choose a 3 weight reel....yet another adventure. I was leaning toward the Allen Alpha 3/4, but I might just put a cheaper reel on that rod....but I will save this for once I actually am purchasing a rod....I am not even going to think about that yet

OK.

My Three Forks rod is always in my truck if you want to try it.

If you want to get a good deal from gfen, bring candy.

Back