Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Redington CPS Rods?

I'm interested in any reviews from anyone who owns one of these rods, or has at least cast one.

The reviews online say they are fast action etc., but I'm looking for feedback from someone who has hands on experience.

Comparisons with Loomis, Sage etc. ?

I have an older model Redington and it's just so so. A little on the "weak" side, I think.

I like crisp fast action fly rods. I had a Sage RPL+ which I loved, but lost, apparently left it laying somewhere.

And I've cast friend's Loomis rods that I also liked a lot. Does Redington CPS compare? I don't care much about "finish." I want a "rocket", a rod that sends the line a flyin'.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 23:01

Re: Redington CPS Rods?

From Lehigh Valley
The CPS series is very similar in action to the Sage XP - some say almost identical. I own several XP's and have cast a CPS. At $149 on sale, that's a whole lot of rod for the money! The 9' 5wt I cast felt VERY close to my XP.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 23:14

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
The CPS series is very similar in action to the Sage XP - some say almost identical. I own several XP's and have cast a CPS. At $149 on sale, that's a whole lot of rod for the money! The 9' 5wt I cast felt VERY close to my XP.

Thanks. I really shouldn't be spending money on a fly rod. I don't NEED a fly rod and money is tight. But if they are that good I may just have to do my part as a citizen to help "stimulate the economy."

Posted on: 2008/11/19 7:19

From Greensburg, PA
they had CPS rods on cabela's site for half price the other day...

Posted on: 2008/11/19 8:20

I picked up one of these at Cabela's sale price a few weeks back. I got a 3 weight for small stream fishing and like it a lot. It casts very well using Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX line which is actually a half weight heavier.

Posted on: 2008/11/30 18:57

From York, PA
"I picked up one of these at Cabela's sale price a few weeks back. I got a 3 weight for small stream fishing and like it a lot."

What length did you get? I see they have the 7' and a 8'6" Also do they have CPS rods in the Cabelas store, Hamburg PA? I went for one last year and they said "we don't have any in stock now" so I went to the internet!

I bought a CPS 9' 6wt last year at full price!!!! and I simply love that rod. It is lighter than the St Croix LU or the Sage FLi and has a extra fast action. This is great for casting even a sink line. With a floating line you can shoot the line like a rocket!! Also when I catch a nice fish, the rod bends all the way for a wonderful fight. This means high modulas graphite with a good taper.

The CPS has a better cork handle than any rod ever made.

I was also looking at the St Croix "Imperial" a new rod that is supposed to be as good as the Elite at a $160 cost. Has anyone tried a Imperial?

So much to think about and so little time.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:09

I picked up a 7' model. They did not have it at the Hamburg store but they ordered it online for me (which I could have done at home of course). Nice rod for small streams.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 18:49

I have a CPS 6 wt. It's a great rod. If you get one, make sure you want a fast rod. Its not strictly a distance rod, but if you do dinking and dapping, it's not what you want. Overall, it's a great casting line-up of rods. I cast the 8 wt and thought it was a great rod. It won a Kudos award. Don't judge this rod by other Redingtons. I didn't like the RS4: too floppy.
You might think the CPS is a lot like a Sage XP but with a cheaper looking reel seat, made in Korea and much less expensive. It doesn't seem like it's a 4-piece rod. You might actually want a lower-weighted rod, a 4wt instead of a 5 wt. The CPS can DEFINITELY handle one line weight higher.

Syl

Posted on: 2008/12/8 22:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com