Quick dry nylon pants

albatross

albatross

Gander Mountain (at least the Greensburg one) has their convertible (zip off legs) nylon quick dry pants on sale for a little under $20. I like these pants under my waders, but I especially like them for wet wading. I leave the legs on so I have long pants and I get protection from the sun and contact with plants (like poison ivy). The nylon pants don't hold much water, so I don't get the feeling I'm lugging around wet clothes.

Thought you folks might want to know...

I wear them for the same reasons stated.

I wear mine during hot days in the summer for brookie fishing.

Not the most abrasion resistant, but dries quickly and keeps me from getting stung by nettles. To me best of both worlds: pants and shorts, while walking through the woods.

While not the same brand, I also am a huge fan of the fast drying nylon pants for all of the reasons mentioned. I bought 3 pair on a closeout at Dick's 7 years ago and wear them late Spring through early Fall, and not just fishing but for around the house and around town. Surprisingly durable.

I bought mine a size larger so I could wear regular briefs over the mesh, sewn-in underwear for everyday use in addition to wet wading. Since they are thin, flexible nylon you can get away with that since bunching them up a little at the waist when tightening your belt doesn't pinch.

Another benefit is that when you do the "sock tuck" when putting on your waders, there is no bunching or bulky seam that always seems to press against your leg in the wrong spot like happens with jeans under waders.

The zip off legs are nice, but I rarely bother with them since they dry so fast and are very cool. I suspect overuse of this feature would eventually be the weak link.

Also perfect for traveling since they are so light and take little space. Also, you can throw them in a bucket of mild dish soap for a few hours, sloshing them around every half hour, then rinse in the sink, and hang on the shower nozzle to dry in very short order.

The brushed nylon shirts are nice for similar reasons, very cool and fast drying for a long sleeve shirt. The colors you often see, however, can be absurd. Don't fall for those.

I have the pants, shorts & shirts in several styles from several companies and really like the light weight, quick drying and ease of care. When I get the ones with the nylon liner I cut it out as I like the under armor briefs under them. More comfortable and still quick dry.

I cut the mesh liner/brief out as well, the elastic rubs me the wrong way after a long day.

Back