Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Question for the glass-holes on here

From Lansdale
Just curious about the Medalist drag issue. If the added weight is in the center of the spool under the cap, I don't see how it would increase the drag effect noticeably. It's near the center of the revolving mass. Think of the adult on the playground merry go round. The little kid can easily spin it if the adult is in the center.

Posted on: 3/25 6:17

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:

The metal ferrules add less weight than you think; its all in the fact that its an 8'6" rod from the '60s. They're all heavy. Its the nature of the beast.

Lead tape/line around the spool works, and has the unintended consequence of increasing drag weight by simply increasing the mass a fish has to pull against.

Medalists will also allow you to pull the spool cap and drop shot inside of it. Same drag consequence, however.

Finally, old brass reels from the dawn of time weigh more than a modern steel or aluminum reel.

Sweet Jebus!....we're talking trout here...right...not Marlin or Tarpon.

Choose a reel that's close to the proper weight and add a little weight to balance. Not a big deal at all. Been there / done that....many times.

Posted on: 3/25 7:43

From Bucks County

No no. My one piece 6' 6wt Fenwick balances fine with a 5/6 battenkill disc drag. It's the 9'6" 9wt 2pc Fenwick that has the issues

Posted on: Yesterday 12:57

Have you tried a Medalist 1496 1/2 or a 1498. You could also look into an Ocean City SportKing or No. 36, nice big heavy reels.

Posted on: 3/25 8:11

From Ephrata, PA
Hey good tip on the Ocean City! I got one of those beasts laying around. I should give that a try.

Posted on: 3/25 9:20

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Lead tape/line around the spool works, and has the unintended consequence of increasing drag weight by simply increasing the mass a fish has to pull against.

Sweet Jebus!....we're talking trout here...right...not Marlin or Tarpon.

Choose a reel that's close to the proper weight and add a little weight to balance. Not a big deal at all. Been there / done that....many times.

Hence the words "unintended consequence." Perhaps "repercussion" fits the definition of our mutually agreed negative result better than "unintended consequence?" I'm willing to work with you.

Posted on: 3/25 10:20

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
use a nice heavy auto reel. a few rods back in the day came with a auto and were balanced that way. its the nature of the beast thick walls on the blank.

Posted on: 3/26 6:55

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Ephrata, PA
I have an auto reel. I'm not a fan of them, to be honest with you. I'm trying the lead tape for now.

Posted on: 3/26 8:00

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I picked up a couple of old South Bends on Ebay this week. An 8' South Bend Classic I, which I like. I'm not sure what line weight it was balanced for as either it's not marked or the markings have worn off (no letter codes, nothing). I tried it w/ 5wt line, and I liked how that felt.

The other rod, a 8'6" White Wizard, is listed as a 6wt. It casts 6wt like a champion. My issue is this. This rod is HEAVY. I think it's the metal used at the furrule. Both the male and female parts have metal around them. I'm having some trouble balancing it w/ a reel. The first reel I tried was a Cortland 444 multiplier. Not a light reel, but the rod weight still threw it out of balance. The second reel I put on is an Eagle Claw Granger 780. A little better. It balances about an inch above the cork. The Cortland balanced closer to two inches.

I know that it's not that big of a deal. It's about how it feels when I'm casting. The thing is, it does feel a bit top heavy to me. Any thoughts? I was reading up on adding weight to reels this weekend. Lots of various opinions out there. Anyone here with some real live experience?

Tape a roll of nickels to the reel seat above the reel. Then when you want to sell the rod you may get $3. for it.

Posted on: 3/26 8:08

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com