Product Review: Adventure 14 Canoe

F

Fishidiot

Paddle powered boats have figured big in my fly fishing in recent years and I decided to add a canoe this year. After some research, I decided on a Mad River Adventure 14. I'm glad I did. This is a 14' rotomolded boat with two fold up seats and a molded mini seat in the middle. I was primarily interested in using it on rivers like the Juniata, Potomac, and Susky with mild current and Class 1 "rapids." I was interested mostly in solo fishing and like the mini middle seat as I can paddle it fine with a kayak paddle although, at about 3' feet wide, a longer paddle would help. I've added an anchor rope and pulley and will probably add a fishing seat for the middle seat. I've found this boat is fine for two people but if you plan on fishing mostly with two people the 16' version of this same boat might be better. I prefer boats on the smaller side. I haven't felt the need to add rod holders. The boat comes with them but they're small and worthless for fly rods. One minor criticism of this boat would be its weight although this is to be expected for a molded boat with double seats (about 80lbs). I'm reasonably strong and stand about 6' but this boat is too wide and heavy for me to pick up and put on my car's roof as I can with similar weight kayaks. So I put a throw carpet on the trunk/roof and this enables me to slide the boat up on my car. Of course, with two people this isn't a problem. This boat also lacks a portage bar but I'd rather have the middle seat. The seats are molded into the hull adding rigidity and have rounded edges that don't catch fly line coils. While I can fish standing up in this boat, I don't recommend it. Like all canoes, it is really a fish while seated boat and it is plenty stable for this purpose. Hull grooves improve tracking and I can paddle this boat easily upstream against mild current, although not as easily as a kayak. This canoe retails for roughly the price of a high end fly rod at $650 and is available at most big box stores. I've seen a lot of sales and good deals lately. Anyway, if you are looking for a canoe for PA fly fishing I'd recommend this one. You can see it below in "sand" color - weiner dog not included.
:-D

Attachments

• Dogs Love Boats.jpg
    Dogs Love Boats.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 6
thanks for the review - I also like canoe fishing... I looked at this particular model before I bought one and I ended up getting the Old Town Guide 14 ft. To me, it suited my tastes better.

Back