Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Prescription sunglasses or contacts?

From Philadelphia
As TimMurphey wrote, I can't see the sky without my glasses, but my solution is a pair of polarized flip ups over my regular glasses. I fish a lot of small streams and am in and out of the sun all day, so being able to adjust to shade quickly is important. I prefer the amber to the green and keep one pair in my trout vest and one in the bass vest. Each pair usually lasts the season. Seems to work pretty well.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/1/12 13:15

From Pittsburgh
I wear prescription bi-focals and found a heck of a good deal at JCPenney several years ago. They had an ad in the paper selling 2 pairs of glasses for $100 including free eye exam. Of course the frame selection was limited, but I did find ones that i like.
I got one pair of reg bifocals and one pair of polarized bifocals.
They charged around $40 extra for the polarized, so both pair came to about $150. They have scratch resistant plastic lenses - which I was a little leery of at the time,- but they've held up fine for over 2 years now.
Since then, many more eyeglass stores have opened in the Pittsburgh area, and they are always running specials in the paper - there's certainly lots of competition. So you can find deals out there.
I am due for another exam now and have been checking things out. Pearle has an ad in the paper giving 30% off AARP members, to which I grudgingly admit I now belong.
I think AAA members also get discounts at various eyeglass stores too

Posted on: 2007/1/12 21:59

One other thing to consider is polarized lenses make it hard to see the LCD screen on your digital devices, like a camera, cell phone, GPS, IPod, laptop etc. No big deal with contacts, clip-ons or fit-overs, you just take them off. But if you can’t see the sky without glasses, its a pain with prescription sunglasses. I end up keeping the regular glasses handy in case I have to actually see an LCD screen.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 22:54

From Harrisburg
Dear Gone4Day,

Electronic devices and gizmos have no place on a stream! That includes cameras without optical viewfinders!

PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/1/12 23:47

From LV
I use both contacts and glasses, though if I'm fishing all day I opt for the glasses. For the glasses I use the clip ons that you can get at the eye doctors as opposed to the ones you get at KMart. They are a better quality lens. I've been using this for 15 years now. If I go for just an evening I usually use the contacts with polarized sun glasses until it get too dark to use them. Having polarized sun glasses is a definete advantage.

Posted on: 2007/1/14 12:52

From Dillsburg Pa
Good topic-

I'm looking for the type of polarized sunglasses that have the little magnifier in the lense at the bottom. Are they still around?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick

Posted on: 2007/1/17 7:02

From Harrisburg
Dear Mick,

I'm not sure if this will fit your needs, but you can buy magnifying lens that you place over the lens of polarized glasses. The lenses stick by static cling like those oil change reminder stickers they put on your windshield and come in a variety of strengths. Many fly shops handle them and you can probably find them in a large pharmacy or any optical store.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/1/17 8:11

For those of you that wear the fit-over type of sunglasses; have you ever seen Brimz?

http://www.brimz.net/

These babies clip right on the visor of your hat and flip up or down as needed. They come in a polorized version and the quality is very good. They have no ear pieces so I find them cooler in the hot weather and you can't lose them unless you loose your hat.

I've had mine for about 3 years or more and I love them. Fortunately I only need magnifiers to see the bloody fly so flip down Hat Eyes do the trick for me...

...right now.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 10:23

From Dillsburg Pa
Tim and Bamboozle, two great idea's thank you very much.

I'm just coming back to fishing after not have done any since Oct. 1995. My best fishing buddy was my son Eric, he and I were fishing togethrer about 90% of our fishing time. I lost Eric in 1995 when he died in a Navy helicopter crash at 23 years of age. I said at that time I would never fish or hunt again. Well as we all know, time heals all wounds. I can't say that the wound is healed, I hope in some way it never is, if you know what i mean.
Anyway I'm back and I'm sure Eric is saying"its about time" I look forward to reading this forum and hopefully with the help of you people I will get back up to speed in my knowledge in this great sport.

Thanks again,

Mick

Posted on: 2007/1/18 4:38

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Mick,

Nice to have you involved with the sport again. I hope your time on the stream brings back pleasant memories of time spent with Eric.

I want to thank everyone for helping to sketch out the pros and cons of all the options for polarization for those of us who need vision correction.

Posted on: 2007/1/18 10:54

From Pittsburgh
done707:

Sorry to hear the bad news about your son.

Anway, before I got my prescription polarized bifocals, I bought a pair of sunglasses from Cabelas called solar focus I believe - they're polarized with small magnifying windows in the bottom that come in 2 powers - 1.5 and 2 x. They worked fine and were cheap enough. However the frames are pretty heavy, and after fishing a few hours with them, I would get a headache

Posted on: 2007/1/19 10:41

From Dillsburg Pa
Dryflyguy, thank you. I did find a pair as you discribed. I also think they will get a little heavy after a while, we'll see.

Thanks again,

Mick

Posted on: 2007/1/25 4:36

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
108 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com