Prescription polarized glasses question

mattofcarlisle

mattofcarlisle

I've always worn contacts and a pair of polarized sunglasses. However, my prescription has changed. With my new contacts, I can't see anything within 2 feet of my face. Have any of you tried prescription polarized glasses? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Matt

I had a pair of perscription , Polarized bifocals. Def a good thing but expensive and my eyesight is OK except for close up so the lens was just like a reader. Anyway, I broke them and to replace was $200 so I scrapped and went back to Polarized and flipfocals.

I have a pair of Oakley's with polarized progressive lenses. Expensive as heck ($600). Within 2 yrs the reflective coating was wearing off. I browbeat them bigtime and they replaced the lenses. I like them a lot though.

I've used them for years. Well worth the investment.

Check the bicycling catalogs for sunglasses with prescription inserts. not sure if they make those anymore, but they were much cheaper than polarized prescription lenses.

I have two pairs of Maui Jims. All Mauis are polarized. The newest pair have a reader built into them. You can have whatever reader strength you may need in 1/2 diopter increments right off the shelf. The reader is really handy and I don't have to wear my Mag-Eyes on my hat anymore unless I wear the pair without readers.

I have two pairs of Smith Optics Perscription bi-focals. Not cheap but worth every penny. I would highly recommend them.

Bill A

love my ray ban prescriptions as far as visual clarity, but i freakin' hate having to switch glasses as conditions change.

I have polarized bi-focals that I got from america's best, about 3 years ago now. Got them there because they gave me the best price - about $170. And they've held up well. No idea what name or brand they are though.
Last time I got my eyes checked - 1 year ago now - my prescription changed a bit. So I got a new pair of regular glasses that my insurance covered. But the old sunglasses still work OK for me, and I haven't replaced them

Prescription polarized lenses have worked great for me. My next set of lenses are likely come from Guideline. I think Alby found this company, but they look to offer lenses with a bi-focal option for the close up viewing challange too. They also offer lens tint options.

http://www.glpolarized.com/

I used prescription sunglasses for years, and had to take them off for up-close work. they were not bifocal.

I was using 4 different pairs of glasses, One regular single vision, A pair of prescription single vision sun glasses, A pair of drug store reading glasses for reading fine print or tying flies, and a pair of bifocal safety glasses. What's the point of having safety glasses if you have to take them off to do close work. These had been acquired over several years.

Recently my near vision has gotten worse (as my far vision has gotten better). Glasses were getting old.

Rather then buying 3 pairs of prescription again, I got a single pair of bifocals with a magnetic "clip-on." Haven't fished with them on, but now I can actually see up-close without taking them off.

Old safety glasses are close enough for now, but will eventually replace those. I get huge discount on safety glasses through work. Basic are free. I only have to pay for upgrades beyond basic frames and single vision.

I'm considering prescription sunglasses also. Most likely bifocal , due to cost.

I had a pair that broke a few years ago and just got a new pair this year for this same reason. I ordered mine through zennis optical. They are definitely not Oakleys or Ray Bans but they are decent quality and I can see great out on the stream. You can't beat them for $40, if you don't want a large investment, and I won't cry if I drop/smash them on the water.

I wear progressive lenses, and use clip-ons for my polarized sunglasses. the problem is that The clip-ons aren't high quality. they get scratched and so forth. I'm thinking of getting script sunglasses, but I probably won't like the cost.

Last year when I got new prescription eyeglasses with progressive lenses, I ordered a frame which offered magnetic polarized sunglasses that attached over my prescription glasses. They work really well and are an alternative to buying a separate pair of prescription sunglasses or clip-ons.

Wow - thanks for the ideas.
I can see great close up - within a foot of my head is excellent. I was at BJ's over the weekend - they quoted me $130 out the door for a pair of prescription polarized glasses. I have reading glasses, and was considering the flip down magnifiers, but haven't found any in the local shop to try out.
I'll look into Zennis Optical.

Thanks again!

You can order prescription lenses from Costa Del Mar and i just saw that they are selling polarized readers in Cabelas catalog. I love my Costas, but mine are non-Rx and came from Sierra Trading Post.

Skip the bicycle glasses they are not polarized. I talked with a few companies a couple years ago when i had my cataract our. None of the biking glasses are polarized because it messes up your view of the pavement.

I have used prescription polarized glasses for years. they are great. A couple pairs ago I started buying my regular glasses at Eyebuydirect.com , and had good luck. They now carry polarized lenses, so a complete pair will only cost you $50.00+/-, depending on the frame. I'm going to order a pair shortly. I figured at $50, if I get a yr or two, I'm good.
-D

Somewhat off-topic, but FWIW,

With any Rx polarized lenses, the Rx lenses and the brand are typically not related. i.e. just because you bought Oakley or Costa Del Mar, that only means that you got frames made by them, not lenses. Polarized Rx lenses are only made by 2 or 3 makers, and ordered by the brands to fit their frames.

That's somewhat true on non Rx too, but there are a few more makers.

Oakley, Ray Ban, Chanel, Dolce, Paul Smith, Ralph Lauren, Persol, Prada, Tiffany, Giorgio Armane, Versace, and others are all designed, made, and marketed by the same company. Luxottica.

Costa Del Mar and Native Eyewear are one and the same.

Kaenon is independent.

Maui Jim, I'm not sure. They are a very large company, one and the same as RLI corp (confusing who owns who), and they make a LOT of lenses, far more than are made under the Maui Jim brand. But I don't know what other brands these go into. Sunglasses aren't their core business, either, they do a lot of insurance and things like that.

Smith Optics, Tommy Hilfiger, Polaroid, Hugo, Boss, Gucci, Saks 5th Avenue, Liz Claiborne, Banana Republic, etc. is another large group that are all the same company, and again designed, manufactured, and marketed by the same people.

^^^That doesn't mean that all of the above are exactly the same. They are made to different specs. Just that the same company designed them, and manufactures them, and markets them. The people writing ads for Oakley and singing their praises are the very same people who are writing ads for and singing the praises of Ray Ban.

I wear prescription polarized sunglasses, they're bi focals to. They work great. They're not real stylish, I just got them from the eye doctors office. The frames are stainless so they wont rust. Thank God for eye insurance thou because they would have cost an arm and a leg had I not had insurance. If you saw a pair at costco for $130 that sounds like a deal to me.

I also wear transition bifocals all the time. If it's cloudy or i'm in deep woods I just wear them, I give up being able to see into the water with them but when it's too dark I just can't see with the polarized set.

The polarized glasses I wear can see right into the water so well like I have special vision.

Back