Orvis T3

ratgunner

ratgunner

So I scored a never used new Orvis T3 8'4" 3wt off eBay this spring and of all the rods I've had this is the only one that made me say out loud "this rod is amazing". I've caught panfish,bass and a lot of trout with it. I can't find myself wanting with this rod. Just thought I'd share.

Cool, it's nice to have a rod like that. I just recently obtained one of those rods my self. :pint:

I fished a buddy's last year. Amazing rod. Maybe someday I'll come up with one....

I used to own a 8wt T3 9.5 flex and I thought that it lacked the casting power I need in a 8wt when I would go for long casts I could feel the rod buckle under the load of the cast .

I also own a 7' 4wt and find it great for my son casting small poppers to sunnies .

Really ??
The 8wt. T3's that I used to cast were power houses. Fast rods too....I still want a 9wt. T3 9.5....great for salt water...have a T3 8wt. 7.5 which is a softer casting rod than the 9.5 but still lays out 100' on grass...

I outbid on a never used T3 on ebay this spring. Maybe the same rod.

I tried a T3 for a day on the little j last year. Loved it.

L_soult,
I doubt it was the same rod as mine had no bids and was only up for a day when I jumped on the $200 buy now option. Now if I could find a 7'9" 5wt T3.

Wow... I must have been off my game that day. Congrats on the sweet find.

sandfly wrote:
Really ??
The 8wt. T3's that I used to cast were power houses. Fast rods too....I still want a 9wt. T3 9.5....great for salt water...have a T3 8wt. 7.5 which is a softer casting rod than the 9.5 but still lays out 100' on grass...

Yep I sold it and bought a colton.

I had a 6wt 9' tip flex T-3, broke it and recived hydros 6wt. IMHO, IT IS Much a better casting rod than the T-3.

My 9' 5 wt T3 tip flex is the best rod I own and feel it is still one of the best rods out there.

That is a nice find. I have a Helios 8'4" 3wt and out of all my rods it is still my favorite and the one I use most. Like you said, it does everything. I use a Ross Evolution LT 1 on it and found the RIO Trout LT WF to be a perfect match. Enjoy the new rod!

I'm also using the Rio line on mine. Just tried a furled leader for the first time today fishing for 'gills. Not sure yet how I like the leader just yet. I tie my own mono leaders and just wanted to try a furled.

Krebster wrote:
That is a nice find. I have a Helios 8'4" 3wt and out of all my rods it is still my favorite and the one I use most.

Just to edify your observation, a fly shop owner who I know has the same opinion. He sold a lot of his other rods when the Helios came out and, with all the rods at his disposal, proclaimed that very 8'4" 4 wt rod to be the be-all, end-all, trout stuff of the universe. I accidentally fished an 8 wt off of my 9 ft 4 wt. (got the rod tubes mixed-up) I spent a week fishing a 6 wt line on my 9 ft. 4 wt mid-flex in Montana with no regrets. All it required was a TAD longer wait time during the cast with the 2X heavy line. Very good rods, but for the price, they better be!

I know this was a long time ago but are you still looking for an orvis t3 5 weight?

Yes I am.

Back