Orvis Rocky Mountain Rod

guttrap

guttrap

I have been fishing this rod for about a year now and am very pleased with it's action and responsiveness. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some information on the rod since it is discontinued and I've been having a hard time finding anything out about it.

I worked in an Orvis shop when the RM series rods were fairly new back around 93 or so. If I recall correctly, they were domestically built and in the models where they had a counterpart in the Orvis Superfine series, I *think* (not completely certain) that they were built on the same blanks as their Superfine equiv. The only real difference in these models being the somewhat more economical RM hardware and reel seats (and the Wells grips on the RM series rods). Also, I seem to remember something about the RM blanks not being as smoothly sanded as the Superfines.

I know nothing along these lines about the rods that were unique to the RM series (like the 8' 9" 8 wgt. I own). However, my supposition is that they were built equally well.

All in all, they were really good rods that did not sacrifice quality for price.

That ain't much, I realize. But it's something...:)

I have a 9 ft 5 wght rocky mount that I bought around 92-93.
It has served me well,- using it for 10 trips out west, fishing the larger PA streams, and even steelhead up Erie. Have never had any problems with it, even though it has the 25 year guarantee.
Great value

Back