Orvis Quality

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Must say I am impressed with the quality of their product. Purchased a pair of waders a and they get my thumbs up in quality, comfort, etc. I also like their policy that they will take back/repair any product problem and if they can’t they will replace, no matter the time. Understand LLBean is similar in policy but the Orvis quality seemed higher IMHO. To hot in the summer to fish with a vest and I just purchased their sling pack as I like the mobility of swinging it forward when I need something and then to the back when finished. Looking forward to using in the next few weeks.

What are ur guys opinion of Orvis product?

Am I giving into the marketing or are most of their products quality?

I've had 3 pairs of Orvis waders now. One pair of Endura's and now 2 pairs of Silver Labels:

1. Endura - lasted approx 2 years. Seam busted open on inside of leg.
2. Silver Label - lasted 2 1/2 years to first leak, pinhole leaks on inner knees. I patched them and got them through a little over 3 years. But it started overwhelming me and I replaced them. Since I was happy with that longevity, I bought basically the same things again.
3. Silver Label - Lasted about a year and a half. Bootie leak, neoprene is crushed and a little crumbly at the seam where I push off with the ball of my foot. Just replaced them. Went with LLBean this time, just to change things up and try out another brand.

Really, that's not a terrible track record for breathable waders. I've had Hodgemans and Cabelas before that and they never lasted more than a year. I would expect the really expensive stuff, like Simms, to last at least 3 or 4 years, but it's 3 times the price too.

From what I've seen to date, for my amount and type of fishing, spending about $100 per year seems to be the status quo. If I get that far I say I got my money's worth. But even if I don't fish as much as I used to, I put a lot of miles on them, with long hikes, rock crawling, etc. That kind of fishing is hard on waders.

Those are the waders I purchased and they were discounted from $295 to $195. Loved that they roll down into 'pants' only with ease and comfort. Tried on the Cabelas guidewear pro and they do the same but weren't necessarily manufactured to do that and weren't as comfortable.

From flys to rods and all in between .. does Orvis do a good job on most items?

Per the pinhole leaks, seams, etc .. did you call customer service and try to have them fix/replace them?

Sal let me fish with his Clearwater rod once. It under $300 new, and I loved it. I own a BBS1 for my 2wt and I love that reel as well.

Their flies never made my jaw drop, but what limited experience I have w/ their rods and reels, I like Orvis. I prefer how their rods handle much more than say, Sage.

I'm really not a fan of Orvis products other than their Battenkill reels (for my money the best value out there) and superstrong tippet. I know PCray doesn't like superstrong for the tippet end and does like it for the butt sections but I love it. Although I started using Rio and that stuff isn't bad at all. They used to sell something called Superfloat that in my opinion was the best damn floatant available but they had to change the formula when fluorocarbons were outlawed and it was never the same.

I have Cabelas waders ($119) and they lasted me three years and I fish a bunch. Of course H-A started calling me "Aqua-seal Man" so I finally had to get a new pair. Although the old pair will be going in my west coast kit.

No, as all of those waders got my "expected" life, I did not go through customer service. In all cases, I think the leaks were unfixable. It may not have been my "hoped" for life, but fair is fair. Asking for replacement just drives the cost up.

My avatar is me in one of those pairs of Silver Labels, wearing it as a waste high.

For both pairs I paid about the same as you. $200ish. Expected life expectancy about 2 years (for me and my usage patterns), which is exactly what I averaged. It is nice that they convert easily to waste highs. The only thing I hated was the belt loops. Loops too close to the buckle, and belt too stretchy. To get it tight enough to hold, when you unbuckle, the buckles spring back through the dang loops. And it's hard to work both ends through the belt loops simultaneously to buckle it.

I find Orvis quality to be fine. I have not yet met an Orvis rod I liked. Haven't tried them all, of course. But it's not quality, it's just something about their tapers. Tapers on rods are a personal taste kind of thing, just like if I don't like a food it doesn't mean it's crap. At the jam one year I had an Orvis rod that I hated and Old Lefty proceeded to use it as a demonstration rod, cast a whole line with it, and tell me how much he liked it. So.....

I do use their reels and find them good enough quality, I've abused em and they never broke down on me, and the drag is fine.

Clothing is high quality, though overly priced.

Flies, eh. But I say that about most larger outfits. You just can't match, on a large scale, the quality that a good local tier can give you.

Oh yeah, tippet. Superstrong is a true monofilament, NOT a copolymer like most that we term "mono". It's strong and stiff when compared to most, though still softer than Maxima Chameleon (another true mono).

I like soft materials (copolymers, for example, Rio Powerflex) for my tippet sections, helps with drag. But I generally like stiff butt sections, which I mostly use the Maxima for. But that stiff to soft material transition can create a bit of a "hinge" effect, which I don't like. I often use a section of Orvis Superstrong in the middle to ease the transition. Fits a niche, and I don't know of another material that fits that niche.

Did anyone else ever use Orvis Superfloat? Did you think the old formula was as good as it gets or am I just remembering the pre Frog's Fanny days better than they really were?

My first rod was a Clearwater, with an entry level Orvis reel. Second time fishing it, on the first cast, the reel came apart in my hands. I had no backup, so my day was over.

Bought their Convertible Vest, retailed for about $150 at the time. Didn't take it out for years, but the first time out, the weather proof chest pocket, for cameras and phones, came apart. The zipper just seperated. The YKK zipperhead was a cheesy alloy and you just couldn't get it tight enough to stay on track.

Orvis took it back and among other items, I grabbed their Excioficio fishing shirt. Wore that once and really like it.

My first chest waders were a pair of Red Balls, they lasted 10 years before the leaks couldn't be fixed anymore. The most I ever got out of a pair of Orvis waders has been 3 years. I'm betting I use the stuff harder and more often than 95% of other anglers.

I have 20 yrs experience with Orvis reels, wading boots and many accessories and some of their clothing including a wading jacket. Never bought their rods or waders. My experience with them is 100% positive. I am an Orvis fan.

Also a big fan of Orvis both fishing and hunting.I fish at least 100 days a year and hunt everyday of grouse season. Most of my gear comes from Orvis works well and holds up. You get what you pay for.

I find that more and more I am moving to Orvis products because I know that, regardless of price point, their stuff is well made and lasts. At least that has been my expereience.

I bought my first Orvis fly line last year, a Wonderline Gen4, and am a convert. It is supple, memory free, and super slick. Going forward they are now my first choice over the Sci Anglers and Rio lines I have been using.

The only downside is that there are not as many Orvis shops as there used to be. At least when ordering from a catalog, I trust Orvis' quality.

Shock

Did anyone else ever use Orvis Superfloat? Did you think the old formula was as good as it gets or am I just remembering the pre Frog's Fanny days better than they really were?

Foxy - Was that the 'pixie dust' you put on my fly at one of the newbie jams back in May? I have the liquid formula and sometimes it gets a lil messy .. do you recommend their new dust?

For me it was the price and comfort in the waders. $195 was less than the Cabela waders I was looking at and only $100 bucks more than the hodgeman waders I returned to Dicks. Most of the big retailers are pretty good with standing behind their private label products so it was the comfort and roll down that got me.

Been using Rio tapered leader which I have been happy with but to be honest I don't think I would know the difference btwn rio or orvis on that type of equipment

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Foxy - Was that the 'pixie dust' you put on my fly at one of the newbie jams back in May? I have the liquid formula and sometimes it gets a lil messy .. do you recommend their new dust?

Stag, that would be Frog's Fanny. I definitely recommend it, and you are correct, it is pixy dust for those of us who always want our flies floating.

Stagger,

add my opinion to the "good quality" camp. i have two orvis rods and reels and waders. Cant say a bad word about them. I broke my Trident 5 wt. about 4 years ago and they replaced it no questions asked. They didn't even charge for shipping.

i think some folks have a perception as them being very corporate and elitist but they make quality stuff. that never bothered me.

I can't say one way or the other. I have never bought anything Orvis with the exception of a few fly tying materials. They do have a good reputation and from what I hear they seem to be more than willing to back up their products.

I own 3 Orvis rods and like them all. The Helios is my fav.I also have 3 Orvis large arbor reels for use on lake Ontario tribs for big fish. Over the past 15 years they have held up well. I also have two pair of silver label breathable waders. I think they leak way to quickly, less than a year for both, but I just aqua seal the leaks and go on. I have sent two of the silver label waders back for repair/replace and Orvis sent me new ones. I had one pair sent back one time and they would not fix or replace because they said the life of them is about 6 years. Orvis gets my vote as the go to brand for most FF stuff.

Overpriced ,imo. Yetty Cooler ,twice as much as other places get for it. 90 % chinese made. what isn't anymore. I have 2 Orvis rods and like my Loomis's far better,but thats just me. GG

Foxgap239 wrote:

It was the best floatant I've ever used also. Too bad it had some nasty stuff in it.

I also really like super strong tippett.
Have tried many other brands over the years, but keep going back to it.

Their waders have given me problems. But then again, I haven't been happy with just about any other brand I've tried either.
And Orvis always replaced them for me - no questions asked

Back