Orvis Helios - Should I?

D

Denny

I'm looking @ a 7 wt rod to be used for steelhead and pike. My choice is between the helios($775) and a 7wt sage($350). I've been FF for about 2 years and I have a hard time reading or feeling the rods like alot of you guys. Bottom Line, I really can't tell the difference other than a little weight. I fish alot and figure I'll eventually appreciate the more expensive Helios. What do you guys think?

Sage.

I don't believe any rod is worth that kind of money. If you can't tell the difference, it's a no brainer.

Denny,

I just bought a 7 wt. for seelhead. I got a medium/slow action rather inexpensive rod because my experience is that I end up slinging lead with nymphs, streamers, and egg patterns. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think a high end rod will really stand out in such an application.

Denny,

Here is my take on it. I recently purchased a Sage Z-axis 5 wt for $675 mostly because of the hype and I wanted to see how good it really was. I casted this rod and compared it to my TFO 5wt that cost me $150. Was the sage better? Yes it was. Was it that much better to warrant the extra $525? Not on your life. I think once you reach a certain point the balance of cost/benefit diminishes greatly with every extra dollar spent.

The sage was a great rod but it wasn't that much to warrant the price tag. Granted I didn't fish the sage which is where you can also get even more of an idea about the rod, I'm now more solidified than ever that mid range rods are more than sufficient for most everyone.

If you can't feel the difference in the two, save yourself the money and get slicked up with a nice reel which will serve you well for steel.

Good luck.

PS

I believe the last I looked at Orvis they had a sale goin on for their zero G rods which also might interest you.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_showcase3.asp?dir_id=758&group_id=16019&cat_id=16028&subcat_id=16029

I'm just getting to the point where I'm starting to feel the difference in action from various rods. My suggestion is don't spend big bucks until you develop a feel and preference. That said it doesn't mean you have to get expensive rods once you do develop a preference.

In a perverse sort of way, a cheap rod might be better for slinging lead. Lightweight, high-performance rods have thinner walls. When they are struck by beadheads and lead they can chip. So, you may find yourself losing days on the water as you send your rod back for yet another warrantee backed replacement.

Maybe the answer is to get the rod you crave, but have a St Croix Pro Graphite or some similar "value conscious" rod as a backup.

I fish with several “high-end” fast rods and, other than breaking off a tip while trying to remove my fly from a tree (my stupidity) I have never broken a rod. I have been FF with many of these rods for a long time. In fact, I still have the original Sage RP (a real broomstick by today’s standards) bought back in the mid 80’s when the Company first began to build fly rods.

Also, the lightness of a rod is an attribute, IMO, but the lightest and most expensive rods are not always the best. Further, for steelhead, a super-fast rod is not the best tool for the job either.

My suggestion is to purchase a decent moderately priced rod that casts well for you. Try a bunch of them before buying one. As you develop as a caster / FF, you will be much better able to evaluate and appreciate what the rod can and can’t do, and choose the perfect rod for the type of fishing you need it for.

denny

i think both are too much for steelhead. as said a slow or meduim action rod would be better suited for steelhead because you you use very light tippet, at times, and need the 'give' so you do not break-off so often. also, you rarely have to cast very far, most times you are lobbing or roll casting you fly to the spot. and the high end rods just are not tough, they make them light so they have thin walls and brittle material. don't buy into the hype, don't buy something to be trendy or 'grow into it'

Denny,
I don't recommend $350 rods - much less ones over $700. Fly rod prices are just getting outrageous. As previous posters have pointed out, there are dimishing returns with ever higher priced rods with faster actions. I like medium action rods and feel no need for the high end stuff. For the price of that Orvis you could get two or three perfectly good rods that will have your bases covered if you decide to try things other than steelhead.

To Fishidiot's point, you could get two full Orvis TLS outfits with good Rio lines and a nice reel for the same price as the high end one. You get the Orvis quality, service, and guarantee on them just the same.

Hell, get a steelie outfit, and add another 8.5' 5wt to your trout arsenal. I got a new TLS fully rigged for $300 when it was all said and done.

If I felt like spending almost 800 bucks, I'd do that then get myself a new pair of waders.

Thanks guys for all your feedback. I still went w/ Orvis - The Clearwater 2 10' 7wt for $200.00 considerably cheaper than the Helios. I then got the Battenkill large arbor reel and lined it w/
wf 8 wt line.

Thanks Again

Sounds like an excellent choice Denny, my rod is a 10 foot 7 weight too. Happy fishing! Now we just need some rain up in Erie. Can you believe hurricane Ike missed...

denny

i think you will like that rod a lot. it will also be good for smallies or swinging streams or poppers at the yough

I'm running out to get that rod in a 9ft 8wt today...Did a lot of shopping and I can buy one local, not pay shipping, get a good warranty and its in stock...couldn't get all of those things from any one other manufacturer. I already had a reel and two spools with 8wt lines or I might have gone with the 10ft 7wt myself...

Tom,

The 8 weight comes in a 10 foot version too. Might not be in stock locally though...

He could get me anything in 5 days or less...the difference in the 7 to the 8 is significant...much more than say the 6 to 7 or 8 to 9...there is an obvious step up in the weight at that point...If I can get a 9.5 I might but I think I'll just go with the 9 ft because of the different types of fishing I plan on doing with it. thanks for the advice....if they have a 10 ft in anything , I;ll play before I buy one though....

Back