Opinions on a rod(Cabela's TLr, plus diff. wts and lengths)

streamerguy

streamerguy

I'm not really in the market for a new rod, but this one caught my eye, mainly because of the price. I think it's the cheapest rod I found that has a 10ft 7wt model which I've kinda been searching for but haven't really done any serious thinking/research. I had steelhead(and also carp, bass, and whatever else) in mind. My two current steelhead rods are a 6wt and an 8wt and they are both 9 footers, but from what everyone keeps saying that one extra foot really makes a difference which I truly believe.

So, anyone have this rod?

I also noticed it comes in an 11ft 6wt model(at the same price), which I assume from looking at the pictures it would be a "switch" rod. Anyone have any experiences/insight on that version even if it's not a Cabela's TLr? Just not sure how much use I'd get out of an 11ft 6wt. I'd mainly be fishing the PA and Ohio tribs(yeah, I realize there's a big difference in size, etc. lol) and also warmwater.

Again I haven't really been looking for a new rod, but this is tempting. Just trying to get some discussion going. Thanks for any feedback.

I actually owned the TLR 10' 7 weight this past winter but returned it thinking i already had too much gear...and now am kicking myself in the butt for doing so. They are a very nice olive green matte blank with good hardware for the price. There are a lot of people who love the switch rods but if you are fishing NY, I would get the 11' 8 weight if you were also going to use it for salmon. In PA, the 1007 or the 1106 would work well. For the price, they are a great rod. Now you got me thinking I should reorder one! Get a prestige premier reel or rls+ to match it and you would be set!

Sweet, just the info I was looking for. The more I think of it if I do decide to get one I'd probably go with the 10ft 7wt, not sure how much I'd use a switch rod, especially once the steelhead go back to the lake.

Never used the rod, but I got a few "test" blanks to use last fall and got some 10' 7wts. I used to use a 9' 8wt in Erie and loved the extra foot in length. Helped to high stick, mend, swing, etc. I'll never go back to a 9 foot rod for steelhead.

I think the Redington Pursuit comes in a 10 foot 7 weight at a similar price. Just another option to check out.

I've been using a Gander Mtn. Guide series 10 foot 7 weight for steelhead for about 5 years now. It's the right tool for the erie tribs. It's also passable for salmon, but a little on the light side.

albatross wrote:
I think the Redington Pursuit comes in a 10 foot 7 weight at a similar price. Just another option to check out.

I've been using a Gander Mtn. Guide series 10 foot 7 weight for steelhead for about 5 years now. It's the right tool for the erie tribs. It's also passable for salmon, but a little on the light side.

You've gone 5 years without breaking a rod???

Ryan wrote
You've gone 5 years without breaking a rod???

Well, 5 without breaking "that" rod...

Thanks ryguyfi and albatross. Just took a look at the Pursuit and it's $20 bucks more but that's still not bad. I'll have to take a look at the details and see which one I'd like better I guess. My next rod will almost definitely be a 10 footer. My 9 foot rods work fine, but yeah I do believe I'd probably do better with a 10, especially on the Ohio tribs. Thanks for all the input.

that 20 bucks more would also get you a lifetime warranty

I apparently am under a lot of peer (or gear) pressure and went ahead and ordered the Pursuit in 10' 7 weight after reading back into this post and regretting my return of my tlr. I ordered from Kitterytradingpost.com and scored the rod for $99.99 plus free shipping and a free 75th anniversary t-shirt. That is actually equal to cabelas with the on sale tlr series and I scored a free shirt. I hope the Pursuit works out well!

I decided to get the TLr. Ordered it Tuesday, got it Thursday, and took it out for a spin yesterday! Overall I like it and it seems like a good deal for the money. Tried it with both 6wt and 8wt lines and it casted them(and caught fish) fine but I'm sure it'll be a lot better with a 7wt line(just ordered one a few minutes ago). I didn't indicator nymph fish with it, but I did high stick nymph with it as well as strip streamers and did some sight fishing for carp. Holding the rod next to a 9 footer it doesn't seem like much of a difference at all, but fishing with it that extra foot does seem to help a little, and I'm sure it'll help a lot once I start using it for steelies.

Anyways, I picked up a handful of smallies as well as two carp! Of course it was on the heavy side for the smallish bass, but it handled the carp great. Not a bad first outing with the rod.

2013-08-02152928_zps22de5c0b.jpg

Like Albatross it looks like Reddington is a good choice $ wise? I have 1, an 8 wt that's a nice rod to cast. Cable las often has specials on Redington outfits and I'D get one of those if I was in the market. GG

Before I got the Cabelas rod I went to the local Gander Mountain which carries Redington Pursuits(not the 10ft 7wt though) and it felt ok but I decided to take my chances with the TLr. The TLr is actually a little heavier than I thought(feels kinda like my 8wt) but I still like it.

But there's one little thing that kinda annoys me, the rod is 9ft and 11.5inches! lol. Don't ask why but I had the urge to measure the rod and it came up a half an inch short. All the other rods I measured were right at the length they were supposed to be.

Back