Old Bamboo Rod

BrookieChaser

BrookieChaser

I have an old bamboo rod, it's an 8' 3 piece that's all I can gain from it.

What do I need to look for, besides obvious external structural damage (which there is none), to determine if it is structurally sound enough to use?

I know nothing about bamboo rods, I just watched "A River Runs Through It" one too many times.

With some research I found it was accompanied by a Bronson Flylite reel originally. I have the reel along with two other automatics.

Go to classicflyrodforum.com with pictures in the identification forum. The guys over there really know their stuff.

Thanks for the information.

I looked on their site, and nearest I can tell, it is probably a Montague rod which seemed to be the most popular bamboo rod with no markings.

Just fish with it, use a 6 weight line. We're coming into streamer time and that rod will work fine. If it breaks , retire it.

Montague ferrules are usually easy to identify. It would be easy enough to tell from pictures if that is what it is/was.

You said no markings, but are there any shadows of labels on the butt section?

What's the reel seat look like?

The vast majority of Montague rods are not worth much money, but will fish well enough. I've rebuilt a few. Some I liked, some I didn't.

An automatic reel of some sort should balance it fairly well.

Back