Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

okuma fly reels

From biglerville,pa.
are okuma fly reels a good value reel or should you stay away from them?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:02

Re: okuma fly reels

From Curwensville PA
I have an SLV and have not had any problems with it. Now keep in mind also that mine has not been fished hard, but from what I can tell by using it and looking inside of it, it is well made and sturdy. I would purchase another one without hesitation.
Sam

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:34

From South Lebanon Township, PA
That's exactly what they are...good value reels. Definitely not high end, but very good for the price. I have two Sierras ($40) and one SLV ($60). Better than any of the BPS or Cabelas house line reels in the same price range...which are essentially their main competition at that price point.

I use the Sierras on my Brookie/backpacking rods where drag is completely not necessary. They're sturdy (no plastic) and have held up well to abuse and getting dropped/beat around hiking and fishing in close quarters. One was already several years old when I bought it from Squatch actually...works perfectly fine.

The SLV is on my 6wt WW/big Trout stream rod. Its drag is noticeably smoother than the Sierras, but still not what I'd call a high end drag system. Its worked pefectly fine on every fish I've landed on that rod before though...Smallies close to 20", and Browns and Fallfish up to 18" or so.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 11:36

From South Central,PA
I own 3 different sizes of the SLV and they are great! I also have an Integrity model for a 5/6 wt. It is supposed to be a model higher than the SLV, but I like the SLV better.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:55

From Lancaster, PA
I've got 4 okuma reels - Sierra 3/4, Sierra 5/6, & two Okuma Integrity 8/9. Overall great reels for the price. I have had these reels for well over 7 or 8 years with no issues. The Sierra reels are on my trout rods. Very dependable, decent drag, good sound.

The Integrity reels are on my 8wt reels for bass & steelhead. They are a little on the heavy side, but I love them. Very good drag system. I have the older version that had the adjustable star drag knob, I think all the new Integrity reels have a standard round knob. These were my first decent fly reels & have lived up to their value.

I would not hesitate to purchase an Okuma reel if you're looking for a quality reel that doesn't break the bank.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:59

From Ephrata, PA
My first reel was a Sierra 4/5. It served me well for about 18 years. I sold it not too long ago! Never had any issues with it, and I caught everything from natives to 20"+ brownies and 30" carp.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:19

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Maybe I'm just hard on equipment, but I found the SLV reels couldn't take a bump. They were fine reels, but a drop to the ground from waist height would fracture the cast aluminum. After 2 or 3 failures like this, I gave up on the whole line of reels. The Sierra's were sturdier, but heavy. I thinks the higher end Okumas are probably fine, but there are other similarly priced machined aluminum reels that perform as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 9:47

At the time, I had a chance to buy okuma through a pro form, so I bought them 50% off. For $90-100, I didnt think anything else could touch their helios reels, so I bought one for my 7wt, and one for my 5wt. Sealed drag, pretty attractive looking, somewhat lightweight. They are 3-4 years old and served me very well. Steelhead on both reels with no problems. I wont mention other species, because if a reel serves you well for fresh chrome, then its good enough for big browns and smallies. All comes down to price. For me, it was a no brainer at that discount. They are quality reels, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy again if I needed another quality moderately priced reel.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 10:18

From Philadelphia PA
"Not my go to" fly reel. Spin Casting reels by them I enjoy.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 16:01
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

I wouldn't recommend the Sierra. It has been durable for me, but the drag is not so great.

The drag seems have two settings:
1) Too tight
2) Too loose.

It's hard to get the drag set to the "just right" sweet spot.

And the drag makes an annoying sound.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 18:17

From North Wales, PA
I have a Sierra that is about 10 years old. Has held up well in the saltwater (10w). I haven't had any problems with the drag that troutbert had. Maybe there was a quality/build problem with them at some time?

Posted on: 2013/8/8 22:00

From Boiling Springs, PA
I fished an SLV 8/9 hard for a few years on New York's Salmon River. It handled loads of salmon and steelhead until last fall when the drag seized up. Upgraded last spring to a Sage and won't go back. The Okuma's are a good value for the price and perfect for a starter outfit.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 13:14

From York County
I have Okuma Integrity 7/8 for my bass setup and its a great reel. Nice drag. I plan on picking up a Sierra for a lighter rod here soon.

Can't say anything bad about my reel.

Posted on: 2013/8/11 18:03

From Anchorage, Alaska
I put an Integrity 10/11 on my 10wt for Silvers and Kings. Hasn't had a chance to tussle with a King yet, but it's beaten down a number of 10-15lb silvers, with no problems. Is the body as bullet-proof as my Hardy?...No. Is the drag as reliable as my Waterworks/Lamson?...No. Did it cost anywhere near what I paid for either of those two?...Not even close! Excellent value for the $$.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 17:38

From Luzerne County, PA
I love my SLV 8 wt for river smallies. I guess it all depends upon if you'll be fishing A LOT for salmon and steelhead or any drag ripping saltwater species, if not you'll have a smooth reel at a great value.

I'm not saying they can't handle steelies and salmon, just that my friends that fish for them A LOT have seen the limitations of the SLV reels.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 15:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com