Ok it's down to two setups...Redington Crosswater and Cabelas Three Forks

M

mgh-pa

Alright, some of you know I'm new to this hobby, and my budget is a little tight with purchasing a home and planning our wedding, but I know I WANT to get on the water badly this spring with a flyrod. If that means not getting the best of the best right now, so be it, but I want a setup, and an affordable one at that. After lots of research, and reading reviews, I think I have it narrowed down to the Cabelas Three Forks with a prestige plus, or the Redington Crosswater.

Now I'm looking for an 8-9ft 4-5wt that will be used as a do-all for right now from smaller native streams to Loyalsock sized creeks for trout and smallies. I want a moderate-fast action, and I think these both will do the trick. I know the Redington warranty doesn't carry over with the crosswater, but the rod gets great reviews. The Cabelas rod, I'm not sure if their warranty applies to this rod or not.

So, thoughts? Should I upgrade the reels on either rod? How hard is it to load the backing/line yourself? I may upgrade the line either way I go.

Cabelas has honored a not advertised two year warranty on their lower priced no warranty rods like the 3 forks. My wife learned to fish on a 9ft 5wt three forks. Easy to feel that rod load which helps when first learning. Good starter/back-up rod.

I agree with Tom about the prestige. It's a good reel for the dollar.

As far as putting backing on your reel, if you buy your reel at Cabelas they will put it on for you. If you do it yourself it's just boring but not a big deal. Assuming you don't have a line winder you'll need a pencil/dowel and either your feet or an understanding significant other to hold the spool (with the dowel inserted) and apply tension to the spool while you wind the backing onto the reel evenly. At least that's the way I used to do it until I bought a line winder.

gzacckey wrote:

As far as putting backing on your reel, if you buy your reel at Cabelas they will put it on for you. If you do it yourself it's just boring but not a big deal.

Boring? Not if you have a cat......... :-D

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Boring? Not if you have a cat......... :-D

You never think of those things until, all of a sudden, you're trying to figure out why the line is going in the wrong direction. The upside is you get to find out how well the drag on the new reel works. The down side is you spend the rest of the time finishing the task while slinging curse words at an animal who only wants to know why you're being such a dick today. Been there.

I would go with the 3 forks combo

I have a 7'6" three weight cabelas three forks and I think it is a good rod. Used it everywhere ,I would recomend it. I have only been fly fishing for about two years and all i can say is be careful , IT IS AN ADDICTION!!!

Back