Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: no new vest for me

From Lancaster Co.
New set of laces and you could probably get two or three more seasons out of them!

Posted on: 2012/12/12 21:54

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Laces and a couple rolls of duct tape.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 21:58

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From SE PA
I got a new vest once. The pocket arraignment was different and I lost more stream time trying to remember where things were. I think I even dropped a few things that I wasn't aware were in a pocket. Not worth the trouble unless the vest is unrepairable.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 9:21

From Philadelphia
I've bougt one new vest in the last 15 years. Couldn't bring myself to throw the old one away, so it hnags on a peg in my tying corner. The new one is just now getting broken in after three seasons and I finally am able to remember where everything is. I don't care so much about waders and boots, but jeez...the vest s iconic, no?
Coughlin

Posted on: 2012/12/13 16:14

From Harrisburg
I agree with Phish_On - if you need/want it and can afford it, GET IT!

I can't, so I'm stuck with the same equipment I had since before I even fly fished. A rusty safety pin holds my license to my head, and my vest pockets are filled to the brim.

How can fishing possibly add back pain? Even the most avid fishermen don't pack hundreds of pounds on their vest. Even if they did, how much do they fish that they would be an issue? Sounds crazy to me.

I have a fancy pair of LL Bean Waders because of the lifetime warranty. I am fully capable of saving up for equipment that, if it doesn't last me forever, will be replaced for free.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 0:57

From Southwest, Pa
wading jacket for early spring, fall, and winter.

the rest of the year i wet wade w. a box of dries and a fanny to carry water.

vest's are the ugliest piece of fishing gear i've ever seen

Posted on: 2012/12/15 15:51

-Art Lee

From Lansdale
It's function WAY over form. Do what you must to be confident - AND FISH????

Posted on: 2012/12/15 17:45

From Gamehendge
Lanyards are the wave of the future. Everything you need is around your neck. If you ain't got something or forget something. Tough sh!t. Makes you a better fisherman, you learn to use what you have. Simplicity is the best bet. No need to load a vest with a bunch of products you use maybe once a year.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 18:37

From Southern PA
^ you must not fish far from your car

Posted on: 2012/12/18 16:49

From Ferguson Twp.
I have the same pair of sun glasses I bought for fishing 25 yrs ago. They're called Action Optics by Smith. They are god ugly, big and unsightly(look like somebody from the mafia in them). But, you can read a book on the stream bottom. They've been replaced twice by the company for free. I keep looking at the new sleek cool shaped glasses ,then I'm on the stream again and remember why I've never bought different ones.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 17:22

From Gamehendge
Irish- not fishing far from my car? Really, I don't even want to start with you. You must be one of the ones with those oversized vest. Carrying things you will never need. I only take with me what I will use for a particular outing. Keep it simple. I fish more in a month then most do in six months.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 1:12

I wouldn't care how my gear looks even if I did run in to other fishermen (met hikers and hunters, no fishermen this year). I use a lightweight orvis super taclpak vest that someone once told me "looks like you fell down in mud." (actually, I fell down in dirt several times.) I'd wash it, but it might be damaged, plus I have a fairly new washing machine...

Posted on: 2012/12/19 6:37

Edited by k-bob on 2012/12/19 7:22:47

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
Irish- not fishing far from my car? Really, I don't even want to start with you. You must be one of the ones with those oversized vest. Carrying things you will never need. I only take with me what I will use for a particular outing. Keep it simple. I fish more in a month then most do in six months.
I fish everything from very small mountain streams to several limestoners to large streams. I carry anything I may need at any one of those streams, therefore I carry more gear than maybe the average guy. The advantage though is I can be ready to fish anywhere with five minutes notice. I do agree that lanyards are nice for certain situations but not for all. As far as the amount of fishing you do are you bragging or complaining? I think I fish more than the average guy, so what does that have to do with anything.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 7:40

I usually fish remote small streams and try to have what I need at min weight for that. When I do fish places with ez access, I just leave that stuff (gps, locator beacon, pH guage) in my vest even though I dont really need it. The overall weight is not bad.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 7:48

From Gamehendge
People rely to much on gimmicks an the newest must have items. Fly box, float, nippers, shot, line tool, themos, tippet. That's all you need ever. I rarly ever even carry a net. Lean an mean. Simplicity, no reason to make it more complicated then it already is.

I fish more then most, an alot more then many.

Have fun diggin threw your overstuffed vest looking for a item your not even sure is in there. Ill be in the stream catchin. An lookin good doin it! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted on: 2012/12/19 15:10

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com