Newby To Fly Fishing Start Out Gear???

Marv_Levy

Marv_Levy

I've been fishing trout in Northampton county now since I was 5 im 22 now but that was with spinning tackle. So I know how to fish but fly fishing has always intrigued me there's so many times im out fishing and I see trout rising one after another but they wont touch my live bait or spinners, they are dead set on the flies. Im mainly a catch and release guy. I keep maybe 7 a year for dinner. I've been thinking about starting fly fishing the past 3 years but haven't made the jump. Well I think im ready to make the jump but im clueless as to what's what and what gear I should be using.

The 2 main streams I fish are the Bushkill Creak and the Martins Creak. I would say the average trout size is about 8-10inches long. "The spinning tackle ive been using is an Ultra Light 5foot ugly stick with 4lb test on various spinning reels." But I have no clue what that translate into fly fishing rod/ reel size.

Im looking at buying a starter kit like this Genesis™ Fly-Fishing Outfits . Im guessing I would need the smallest size for the fish I will be catching but a 7'6" pole seems enormous for me since ive been fishing with a 5' pole for 10 years. I already have a good fishing vest and a great pair of forceps and nippers. But the other stuff that comes in the set I guess would be needed. My fly fishing knowledge is lacking as ive mentioned before. Basically all I know is Dry flies float and Wet flies don't lol.

So any newby advice best flies line etc. would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows of a better starter system for under $200 let me know. It doesn't even have to be a starter kick it could be a something your just put together your self for me to buy separately and create my own kit. But I would like to keep it under $200 if all possible. Like I said I already have a vest, nippers, forceps, and net. If at all possible i would like to amke my purchase at Cabelas or online from Cabelas. I have a giftcard.

Thanks for your time hope to see you on the water.

I recommend getting an 8 1/2 foot rod, for a 5 weight line. I think that's the best all around, most versatile outfit for someone with just one fly rod.

Cabela's is one choice of course, but I'd check the fly shops in your area too. Most fly shops have good values in starter outfits also.

Marv,

I was pretty much just like you, I spin fished for many years and up until 2 years ago I never fly fished. Words cannot explain the difference between fly fishing and spin fishing, trust me you will see. I started out with a 7'6" rod and really love that rod. My second year I bought an 8'6" rod and not so impressed however, they are two different rods. I would though have to agree with troutbert and say get an 8'6" rod. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! Leave the spinning rod at home when you plan on fishing, I have had the tendency to go and get my spin rod. I look at it this way I'm not going to learn fly fishing by casting a few times not catching anything and going back to spinning where I know I will catch something. Just my $.02!

Cabelas has good choices, I'm sure within your price range. I would also recommend first going to a local fly shop. I'm not familiar with ones in your area though. Hopefully one of the other guys here can give some better advice on that.

Definately agree with the 8'6 5wt. You'll get the most use out of it on a wide variety of streams. I echo the sentiments of not getting discouraged and leaving your spinning rod at home. You need to spend time learning how to cast your rod and work your line. If you can, try to hook up with another fly fisherman in the area to give you some pointers. Better yet, go to a local fly shop and get a lesson if you can. You won't regret it!

Good luck!

thanks guys for teh advice. My buddy who ive been fishing with for the last 5 years has been talking about fly fishing also. Ill have to talk him into getting the gear also so we can suck together and learn together lol.

Pleased to see so many folks coming over from the dark side. Let the Force guide you!

I agree with the Cabelas choices, great starter equipment for a great price and most of the combos come fully equipped. Someone wrote about not giving up, that is the best statement a new fly fisherman should listen to. My advice is to go fish a native stream and just work on casting to easy feeding fish, but mostly it'll help build confidence and if you get the chance to fish with someone with a lot of experience, by all means do it! I fished with a guy that had been doing it for 20+ years a few years back and I learned so many little things that improved my abilities so much. Before long youre spinning gear will be nothing but dust collectors! :-D

Do your best to find someone in your area to teach you. That's what I did... and don't tell anyone, but I still ask questions like a 7 year old when I'm fishing with someone who's been around the block a few more times. Fly fisherman love to talk about fly fishing. That's the best advice I can give you.

I'm 22 as well. I can say that starting young is a good idea. I've talked to some older guys who regret not starting young, since they found it's such a special sport.

Read the internet alot too, and post any of your questions here. My first fly rod was a $40 deal from Dick's paired with a $20 reel and some cheap line. I bought a box of generic dry flies and learned by fishing for bluegill. After I met a good fishing mentor, I graduated to getting a TFO (temple fork outfitters) combo paired with an Okuma reel for $100 (they were still a new company so it was cheaper). You can still get that same combo for about $140 at Cabela's. It's still my go-to rod, but I changed out the reel.

I learned to fly fish on a few year plan... First I started taking both spinning and fly gear. I'd spin fish all day and when the evening rises started switched over. Eventually I started making special fly fishing only trips with the guy who taught me. This is how I learned to nymph and fish streamers. By this point I could officially catch trout in most conditions, so the spinning rod became obsolete. It's four or five years later, and the spinning rod is collecting dust, only to be brought out for opening day parties with old friends.

Once you get that far you'll probably get interested in tying or rod building or something like that, and we'll be here to answer your questions again. :p

Yeah i have nice 1.2 mile stretch of Catch and Release fishing with artificial lures only. Its like 8mins from my house, thats the place i plan on learning. Hardly ever see anyone fish it you see a fly fisherman every now and then and the morons fishing illegally there with live bait.

Any suggestion on starter flies? The staple flies that allways seem to work year in and year out?

You're buying them so I'd hate to suggest simple flies... It's a real shame to pay $1.50 or more for a green weenie, but it's gotta be done.

The green weenie
http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesF/fb-greenweenie.htm

Pheasant tail (pt) nymph, with bead and without
http://www.westfly.com/patterns/wet/pheasanttail.shtml

hare's ear nymph, with bead and without
http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/articles/old/olm8.htm

some kind of ant and beetle. No need for a picture here, the best patterns look like ants or beetles.

wooly bugger
http://www.westfly.com/patterns/wet/woollybugger.shtml

adams
http://www.visi.com/~mpv/FlyFishing/Adams/AdamsFOTM.html

Get alot of color variations in dry flies like the adams, a cream colored one is called a light cahill, a black one with white wings is a black gnat. I'd recommend picking up a few dry flies like this in light and dark colors, but the adams gray is an all around color.

Also ask your fly shop for some other ideas for what's hatching in your area.

This should have you covered on flies too, but you may end up spending $50 on a decent starter set if you get them all.

The above ones are only my opinion, but as shown here, there are many differences of opinion. Just google a picture of each one like i did above and go buy something like it.

May I also recommend picking up a book or searching the internet on basic entymology to learn what you're imitating. Learning about mayflies and their nymphs and caddisflies and their larva is really helpful when buying or tying flies.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1530&forum=2

ps. can you tell that I've got free time since stuff's broken at work right now? I can't get anything done til it's fixed :-(

nice thread looks like i will be picking up the following in various sizes and colors.

Hare Ear Nymph
Elk Hair Caddis
Pheasent Tail Nymph
Adams Dry Fly
San Jaun Worm
Wooley Bugger
Green Weenie
Ant/Beatle

should be able to catch something with those flies in my arsenal the way the guys are talking.

okay did a little list on cabelas.com just to see what the price would look like

you get 3 of each type listed

San Juan Worm
COLOR: RED

Pheasant Tail
SIZE: 14
COLOR: NATURAL

Pheasant Tail
SIZE: 16
COLOR: OLIVE

Pheasant Tail

SIZE: 12
COLOR: FLASHBACK

Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
COLOR: GOLD RIBBED

Hare's Ear
SIZE: 12
COLOR: BLACK

Hare's Ear
COLOR: FLASHBACK

Elk Hair Caddis Flies
COLOR: TAN

Elk Hair Caddis Flies
COLOR: BROWN

Elk Hair Caddis Flies

Adams

Black Fur Ant

Hi-Vis Foam Beetle

Woolly Bugger
SIZE: 10
COLOR: BLACK.

Woolly Bugger
SIZE: 10

thats 16 different flies a total of 48 flies in all for $51.75 I can live with that.

then throw in the Cabela's Genesis™ Fly-Fishing Outfits combo for $149.99

you get a 8'6" 5 line wieght rod/ real combo you alos get
Each combo also includes:

Fly line and backing
Chest Pack
Trout Fly assortment plus box
Two retractors
Scientific angler fly floatant
Leader straightener
Split shot assortment
Two tapered leaders
Forceps
Floatant holder
Nippers
Strike indicators
Rod/reel case

its a grand total of 201 and i got a coupon for 20 off my next purchase of 150 or more so i get it all for $181

time to make a cabelas run and start fly fishing.

Add in some other catskill style mayfly dries aside from the adams.

I'd add a light cahill or sulphur, and also perhaps something black. Blue winged olives are also good.

Cabelas also has a 66 or 24 piece eastern fly assortment that has most of the flies you're already planning on getting, plus several others that could be good to have. The 66 is $70 and the 24 is $25. I just happened to be reading through the fly fishing catalog when i read this post and figured I'd throw that out there. Also if you apply for a cabelas credit card they give you $20 towards your next purchase.

I also forgot when you're getting tackle youll eventually want to get tippet in 3X,4X, 5X, and maybe 6X but you should get used to the heavier tippets before you go down to 6X.

Marv, I just bought my son a 7'6" Redington Crosswater outfit on ebay for $85 shipped. This comes with the rod, large arbor reel, 4 wt floating line, 7'6" leader and a rod bag. I tested it out before I gave it to him and found it to be an excellent casting rod. I've been FF for 15 years and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I have an 8' Fenwick and an 8'6" Orvis and I would put this right up there with them as far as quality goes. Plus Redington is now owned by Sage....that said, I'm not sure what kind of warranty goes with them. I think we got a 1 year complete warranty. Either way though, for $85, you can't go wrong. The guy was great to deal with too. His ebay name is reelflyrods.

You might also want to consider purchasing your flies online to save a few bucks if your planning to purchase them from Cabella's and not at a local fly shop. I know Flyshack.com sells most of their flies for .75 cents and orders over $25 ship for free. I'm sure there are other sites as well that may be even cheaper. No point in Cabella's getting all your money. :p Just my .02 cents.

Mark

Yeah also check out EBAY,i just got 12 Pheasant Tails and 12 hares ears 14,16,18- 3 of each for $14+ shipping!!!

I'm going to (respectfully of course) disagree with those who have suggested you leave your spin gear at home or give up on it completely. For awhile, you might want to take it with you. If you enjoy spin fishing don't let any of us fly guys discourage you from continuing to do it. There will be days when fly fishing will seem tough and it won't hurt to break out a spin rod and catch some fish this way. It will help keep your confidence up and allow you to have a method to fall back to if a fly rod is broken or you travelled a long way and can't seem to get 'em on a long rod. Spin fishing can also help you catch fish with flies. If you get a trout on a spinner or plug in a deep run than you will quickly learn to fly fish these same spots with a streamer. I often use spin tackle in saltwater to locate fish and them hunt 'em up with a fly rod. Also, don't fall into the common trap that new fly fishermen make of associating fly fishing as exclusively a trout game. Try some fly fishing this summer for bass and sunfish. You'll have a blast. Most warmwater rivers and many small creeks that are too warm in the summer for trout hold smallmouths and red breast sunfish. They eagerly take a fly and are usually musch less selective and spooky than trout. Plus, a 10" smallmouth fights far better than a trout of similar size. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress in fly fishing.

Back