Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Newby To Fly Fishing Start Out Gear???

From Carlisle
I also forgot when you're getting tackle youll eventually want to get tippet in 3X,4X, 5X, and maybe 6X but you should get used to the heavier tippets before you go down to 6X.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 17:50

From Potter County
Marv, I just bought my son a 7'6" Redington Crosswater outfit on ebay for $85 shipped. This comes with the rod, large arbor reel, 4 wt floating line, 7'6" leader and a rod bag. I tested it out before I gave it to him and found it to be an excellent casting rod. I've been FF for 15 years and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I have an 8' Fenwick and an 8'6" Orvis and I would put this right up there with them as far as quality goes. Plus Redington is now owned by Sage....that said, I'm not sure what kind of warranty goes with them. I think we got a 1 year complete warranty. Either way though, for $85, you can't go wrong. The guy was great to deal with too. His ebay name is reelflyrods.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 11:34

From Dauphin, PA
You might also want to consider purchasing your flies online to save a few bucks if your planning to purchase them from Cabella's and not at a local fly shop. I know Flyshack.com sells most of their flies for .75 cents and orders over $25 ship for free. I'm sure there are other sites as well that may be even cheaper. No point in Cabella's getting all your money. Just my .02 cents.

Mark

Posted on: 2007/6/8 13:27

From Olyphant PA
Yeah also check out EBAY,i just got 12 Pheasant Tails and 12 hares ears 14,16,18- 3 of each for $14+ shipping!!!

Posted on: 2007/6/8 16:07

From Gettysburg
I'm going to (respectfully of course) disagree with those who have suggested you leave your spin gear at home or give up on it completely. For awhile, you might want to take it with you. If you enjoy spin fishing don't let any of us fly guys discourage you from continuing to do it. There will be days when fly fishing will seem tough and it won't hurt to break out a spin rod and catch some fish this way. It will help keep your confidence up and allow you to have a method to fall back to if a fly rod is broken or you travelled a long way and can't seem to get 'em on a long rod. Spin fishing can also help you catch fish with flies. If you get a trout on a spinner or plug in a deep run than you will quickly learn to fly fish these same spots with a streamer. I often use spin tackle in saltwater to locate fish and them hunt 'em up with a fly rod. Also, don't fall into the common trap that new fly fishermen make of associating fly fishing as exclusively a trout game. Try some fly fishing this summer for bass and sunfish. You'll have a blast. Most warmwater rivers and many small creeks that are too warm in the summer for trout hold smallmouths and red breast sunfish. They eagerly take a fly and are usually musch less selective and spooky than trout. Plus, a 10" smallmouth fights far better than a trout of similar size. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress in fly fishing.

Posted on: 2007/6/10 21:40

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com