New rod questions

volcanomil

volcanomil

Hello to alll - first post - I have been lurking around reading for some time and went ahead and joined. Seems like a great place. I am looking into a new rod - and I am having trouble with so many choices. Price is an issue but overall useability is top concern. In my rod collection I have a G Loomis GL2 7;6" 4wt and an old Cortland GRP(?) 5/6 8' - The Cortland needs to be retired - I am looking for a 8'6" or 9' 5wt for some of the larger sreams I get too (Penns and Spring) the 7'6" is for Codorus/Clarks/Stony/E.Licking.

How does the Sage lauch match up to the GL2 - should I move up to the GL3 or FLi series? I like the medium/fast action - are there any others I should look at?

thanks...

First I have not cast the lauch. I’ve been a little slack in test casting graphite lately. But I will say when I switched to bamboo, I only kept two circular rods and they were both Sage. From the practicality stand point I would say either the Sage or Loomis will meet your needs and you’ll be happy.

Joe E.

I have no experience with Loomis Rods to compare a Launch to, but I can tell you that I absolutely love the Launc line. Price point aside, it casts wonderfully, at least for me. I have a 9ft 5wt and it's been a great purchase. Great for larger streams. I also have a 9ft 4wt that I use for nymphing. Just picked that up this year. The 5wt is 2 pieces, the 4 is 4 pieces. This makes no difference in casting. The 5 weight can punch through wind too. Get to a shop and cast them both if you can.

I have had 2 fly shops here in PA tell me that the Launch and the FLi are not much different and both steered me in the direction of the Launch. Also, a friend of mine who lives out of state had his local fly shop guide him in the same direction. Performance is roughly the same on these rods so we're both told.

also look at the Scott rods. the A2 is a nice med fast rod that is very versatile. it can throw a sz 20 dry or a weighted bucktail with ease. i have the pre series, SAS, in a 9" 5wt and it is my got to rod for larger water and for all around nymphing and streamer fishing. you may also like the TFO professional series rods. i have the (' 5wt and really like it. i bought this to go out west because i wanted a 4 piece rod, the SAS is a 3 piece. it's a hair faster than the A2 but for throwing out line is good. i broke both rods this spring and both companies replaced them with no hassles, just had to pay the minimum service charge.

I have a Loomis GL2 7'6" 4 wt and I love it. I also have a TFO 8'6" 4 wt which I really don't care for. The next rod I purchase will definately be a Loomis!

Back