New 8 or 9 wt

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I've been looking into getting a new rod and reel. I've gotten some gift certificates for Cabela's because I'm poor and have done some research. I'm pretty sure I have my heart set on a Cabela's SR reel in either an 8 or 9 weight. I'm looking into useing this reel for steelhead, pike, walleye, bass etc. First, is there going to be a big difference in either the 8 or 9 weight. I'm not too sure which way to go. Has anyone used a Cabela's SR reel before? What do you think?
I'm looking at a few different rods that are combo's with the SR reel in cabela's catalog. I'm most likely going to make my decision on that when I go to purchase so I can try them out. But my question for that is the action of a rod. I know there is light to heavy action. What are the pros and cons of the action and what do you suggest for what i'm fishing for. I'm still pretty novice at the sport but am improving with every outing. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Ryan

As far as action, I've always heard it in terms of "slow" to "fast" for fly rods.

A fast rod loads quicker and can punch line through the wind easier. However, it's sometimes harder to cast (for some anyway). A slow rod takes its sweet time to load and is more noodly. I've got both slow and fast rods, and after a few minutes can easily fish with either type. I'd go cast some and see what you like.

Dear Ryan,

A buddy of mine has a Scott A2 9 foot 4 piece 8 weight new and unused for sale on another forum. I don't know much about the rod but I've have other Scott rods that I like and it sounds like a good deal to me.

Here is a link to his post on another board offering it for sale. You will have to register to respond to his post but if you are interested in the rod PM me or send me an e-mail to jtmiv@comcast.net and I will get you two talking.

Oops. left out the link!

http://gatheringoftheclan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3937

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I buy lots of cabelas stuff and am not a big fan of many of their reels except the prestige plus......if you are going to spend $150 on a reel at cabelas, get a ross CLA for steelhead and other hard running fish. You need a good, reliable disc drag.

As for a rod, you need something with a strong butt section to fight the fish but a soft tip to protect the tippet. You also need something that can sling lead. For steelhead I prefer a longer rod...longer than 9ft.....for bass a standard 9 ft is fine.

Just my opinion.

I don't know anything about Cabela's but as far as rod weight for bass--I have an 8wt/fast acton that works well on the river, for steelhead (in PA.) and have caught all types of salmon (except kings) with it.

I used some gift certs. from Cabelas a couple years ago for just such a purpose. I got a traditional 4-pc and a prestige plus reel with line and backing and a rod case all for 100 bucks. I use it for bass, at the beach, and anytime its just really windy and I need to get out further at the lake. Its a great rod for the money. I also picked up an intermediate line that helps me get flies down from the float tube and at the beach. I'll agree with O.O. that the prestige plus reel is one of their better reels. Nice drag and large arbor.

The problem I and my friends have had with the CSR and LSR reels from cabelas is that they drags stink, they have a lot of start up inertia out of the box which reluts in a lot of break-offs on steelhead. In adddition if they get the least bit dirty or take a dunk the drag totally binds up.

The SLA has a great drag and is light but changing spools is in pain in the butt and I have ruined several lines by getting the line caught between the frame and the spool. They also have a really small line capacity.

I second the vote for for the traditional rod series too but they are heavier and don't have as stiff a butt as I like......but the Sli, FT, and PT are also good rods for the money, too. I have cast but not fished these. I have an LST also....I'm a little less thrilled with it......it is heavy and doesn't load the best at short distances.

The prestige plus has a great, realiable drag, has a great mid arbor design which gives you a good rate of retrieve and a good line capacity. If you can stand a little heavier reel and the fact that it is cast and not machined (who cares? - haven't had a cast reel crack yet), the prestige plus is a great reel. On sale for $40 now.

I use a fast action 8 wt Orvis T-3 with a Batten Kill Mid arbor reel. As soon as I casted the rod with a big popper I was hooked and the drag works on the reel even when you get it wet sandy dirty etc...But its not exactly cabelas :lol:

Try rajeff's echo2... sweet rod!

8WT.SHOULD SUFFICE FOR MOST FISHING. hOWEVER IF YOURE
THINKING OF ANY SALTWATER OR SINKING LINES GO WITH THE9. JUST MORE BACKBONE. ALSO, THE SR IS GOOOOOD. I HAVE 1 AND LOVE IT. ALSO HAVE 2 LSR DRAG SQUEALS WHEN WET. DOESNT BIND THOUGH.

The Prestige Reels are solid. They're identical to one made by Okuma. I'm almost certain but cannot confirm that Okuma makes them for Cabelas. I know they're identical because I have used both. For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a better drag.

Also I have a 7 wt Prestige rod that I got with a case and line a few years ago that I used for Steelies. I don't fish for them much anymore due to crowds and the land posting. But when used, it was a solid rod for the money.

Back