Need some advice.

PhlyPhishMan

PhlyPhishMan

I have been fly fishing for about a year and some change at this point. I currently am set on buying a lamson konic reel but am scratching my head on a rod. I would like to stay close to the 100 to 150ish range with a five weight... Could someone please give me some suggestions? I'm trying to get something that I could use for a couple years before I join the I have 800 bucks to spend on a helios 2 club. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any word on the Konic good or bad that would be sweet as well. Thanks in advance and stay phunky my phriends.

Take it up a notch and get a lamson guru... its a fully machined reel and worth the extra money.

If this is going to be a 4, 5, or 6wt rig, go cheaper on the reel and put the cash towards the rod. The Orvis clearwater Large Arbor for instance is a great reel for $80. I have a friend who uses one of the large models on his two-hamded rod for steelhead and it works very well.

Use the $60 or so you saved by getting the Clearwater over the Konic and put it towards a better rod. For instance the Orvis Cleawater rods which are right at $200

If you're locked into a budget I think this is the way to go. Your reel and rod do not need to be balanced in price, particularly for freshwater rigs. Also there is a bigger difference between a $100 rod and $200 than thee is between a $400 and $800 rod.

Again, if your budget is tight go for the better rod.

Kev

Kev is absolutely correct.

If you're on a budget there are plenty of really good reels in the $50 - $100 range. Orvis, Ross, Greys, even Bass Pro Hobbs Creek for under $50 is a quality reel.

Spend the difference on a rod.

Don't go too cheap on fly line but you don't need to spend $75 either. Orvis Clearwater or Rio Mainstream are mid priced quality lines and I'm sure there are many others as well.

Look into buying discontinued but still fully warranteed models at your local fly shop or online at Sierra Trading Post, Farmington River, Cabelas etc.

Buy used. You don't get the warranty but you might pickup something really nice dirt cheap.

I have a Lamson Guru 3, 4, 5 I am thinking about getting rid of... it is used but in pretty good condition. If you think you might be interested give me a shout. I didn't even think about selling this until right now. Pure coincidence I swear.

I could sell you the Guru which has a higher value than the Konic... I could give it to you cheaper than the Konic.

PennKev mentioned Orvis. Their Clearwater combo is a nice set up: rod, reel, line and backing for $295.

clrwtrFR.jpg

The rod alone is $198.

I see absolutely no one has bothered to answer your question.

The reel holds line and provides balance to the rod. That's it. Don't waste your money buying a fancy reel. BTW, as you're busy touting the "machined Guru," I'd like to point out its never stated to be bar stock, implying its most likely cast aluminum machined down.

Anyways, why not just use the reel you have and spending all the money on a rod, then someday you can buy someone's left over kit or what you actually want if you deem you need it.

Someone who's opinion I regard highly on equipment considers the TFO BVK to be the rod to beat, so why not test that? While that excedes your $150 limit, you just saved $100 not buying a thingy to put your line on. Everyone wins.

Test cast your rod before you hand over money. Relying on the idiocy of the Internet is a good way to be led to a terrible decision.

If you'd like an example of bad advice, I can easily locate about 4 or 5 examples.

Please don't think you have to join the Heilos 2 club just to fit in. The name brand does not make the Fly Fisher, only practice does.

When looking for that set up I want to add on to GFen's comments. The reel does hold the line and provides balance. good balance of the set up will keep your arm from getting tired out. Reels come in three different sizes: Large arbor, Mid arbor and Small arbor. The main difference is in the line coil that happens when your equipment just sits around. coils tend to tangle up more often as the line comes out of the reel and are more visible to the fish when the coil takes shape again on the water. the larger the arbor the less coil and tangle and the less frustration you will have when you have to spend time untangling the line. When testing for the balance your reel should be fully loaded with backing, flyline and leader. I usually use the index finger to test for balance. Just before the grip starts on the rod put your index finger under it, if the rod tip slowly flows upward then the setup is better balanced. And the reel is good for the setup. If it tips up rapidly....Then the setup is unbalanced.

Please do test setups as much as possible before you purchase. If your not to far from Cabelas, Bass pro shop, or Daves Sporting goods- go there and test as much as you can. Also there is the Fly Show in Lancaster coming up March 2, 3. You can test alot of setup there.

If your on a Budget - here is a tip:
Budget Adjuster......At the end of the day I like to take the spare change out of my pocket and toss it in a piggy bank (it is an animal cracker plastic 2 leader bucket). You would be amazed at how much change adds up over several months. My daughter and I turned in one full bucket of change (dimes, nickels, pennies) and there was $240.00+ in there. That took care of one of her Orthodontic payments. Other times I have purchased Flies, Flyboxes, Lines, and even a reel with the amount of change that has been collected. I'm going to let it fill up with Quarters this time and who knows...I might have enough to purchase the Orvis Access by the end of the year.

Thanks a bunch everyone this has helped a lot.

Back