need help choosing 4wt rod for beginner

thetonyage

thetonyage

Hey guys i have a galvan ob-2 3/4 wt reel that a friend of mine gave me. Ive been using it on this old eagleclaw 7wt spin/fly rod. Its got scientific angler 4 wt line on it. I live in scranton and will primarily be fishing the lackawanna and the roarking brook and other close locations. I am looking for a 4 wt rod and have been looking at the redington classic trout in 8 or 8 1/2 ft. Or the cortland brook in like sizes. I stopped into A&G today and looked at an orvis clearwater ii in 9 ft. I really like the feel of the orvis but ive heard bad things about the brand. Plus its a little more pricy than my other 2 choices. I was advised that a 5 wt setup is standard for the areas i fish but since i have a 4wt reel id like to have a matching 4wt rod. My price limit would be $200. What do you guys think?

If your limit is 200, then I say go with the Winston Passport. I picked one up before the trout season, and it is absolutely wonderful for the price. I am sure a couple other guys on here will comment the same.

Lots of people have an axe to grind with Orvis, but if you like it and it felt right, then go ahead and do it. You'd be best served by taking a moment to try out a bunch of rods, though, and seeing which seems to fit your desire the most. Check out some local shops, take a trip out to the big box shops, then make a choice of what you like and run with it.

Don't decide based on what the Internet tells you, buy what feels right.

Contrary to what I just said, I haven't tried the Redington CT, but was mesmerized by the reports of it. I meant to try one, once upon a time, though. -shrug-

The Clearwater is a fine rod and Orvis has awesome customer service. I've broken a couple and they quickly fixed and returned my rod, no questions asked. I wouldn't be put off by what others say...

TFO pro 8 ft 4 weight would be perfect

i just got a brook and its a great rod, also take a look at the sage vantage love mine

I would say a Sage Vantage or a used Launch/DS series if you can find one.

Cortland Brook 8' 4 weight. About $190.

Being a die hard Sage guy, this is tough to admit. I got the chance to pry LRSABecker's Winston Passport from his death grip on it, and its the nicest casting 9' 4wt in the under $300 category I've ever tried.

In fact, there's very few over $300 rods that can touch it for casting under 50 ft. It ain't much to look at, but boy does that thing throw a line! So smooth. For $199, it's a steal.

So i stopped at a gander mtn today and i checked out some redington crosswater 4 wts and i was really not impressed. I dont know the difference between the crosswater and the classic trout but i did not like the crosswater. Where can i find a cortland brook or a winston passport to try in person?

Cortland Brook is a great rod for the price also four piece, I have a Brook 10' 4 wt 4 pc i bought at flyfisher's paradise over a year ago,hard to wrong at 199.99 plus tax,it includes a great rod/reel case sized to fit the rod.Try one i think youll be surprised,also Redington makes a great rod too, since you will be fishing the Lacakawanna i would think a 9 footer would be prime unless you want to fish smaller brookie streams.If i was fishing only big water though and i liked to nymph 10 fot rods are the way to go.And if you can wait and save a few beans more do by all means look into a Greys Streamflex XF2 11' 4wt.between the Greys Streamflex XF2 and the Cortland Brook series i think you would be well served.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Flyfisher's Paradise,State College has the Brook series of rods
Contented Angler,Lower Burell,pa has the Grey's Streamflex XF2

A&A Outfitters is a Winston dealer.

There is absolutely no way I could support the recommendation to buy a 10-11 ft 4wt as ones primary rod.

No 11 footers here, i was thinking 9' was a bit long for a 4 wt.

The tonyage
do you nymph alot?longer rod is the way to go,

I picked up a 8'6" winston passport 4wt earlier this spring at Cabelas and I really like it. It is light and I think it is very easy to cast.

I also own an older orvis clearwater 6wt that is ok, but the newer models look much nicer. I can tell you from experiecne that Orivs does offer great service and will get you out of a jam when you do something really dumb (like fall down a bank into the truckee river). The winston rods come with a guarntee but I have not heard anyone comment on the claim process.

thetonyage wrote:
No 11 footers here, i was thinking 9' was a bit long for a 4 wt.

There is not necessarily a correlation between the length of a rod and the rod weight. I think for an all purpose go to rod a 9' is right on. This will allow great dry fly presentation, excellent high sticking and light streamers.

I have a 9ft 4wt and 10ft 4wt Winston BIIIx. The 9ft 4wt will do 99% of the things a 10ft will with 100% efficiency where a 10ft + rod is great for very specific application but really lacking in dry presentation, streamers, etc particularly in a 4 wt rod.

Orvis rods are nice and their service is great imo. One of the least expensive "warranties" out there at $25 for repairs. Winston is $60 which is a lot for a $200 rod imo. Granted in both of these cases "warranty" means you did something dumb and broke it. In true "warranty" issues such as failing wraps, messed up hardware or other defects which are an issue of the manufacturer, these charges should not apply.

Not a huge fan of a & a really poor staff there, made a few really crappy assumptions, needless to say that day I was off to blow a paycheck and went to the evening hatch, which is an orvis dealer right down the street. Funny thing was they acted like they were the superior ones when the orvis shop was always friendly. It was quite some time ago but my money gets spent where there at least nice to take it.

Back