Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: need help choosing 4wt rod for beginner

From Scranton
No 11 footers here, i was thinking 9' was a bit long for a 4 wt.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 21:36

From Lehigh Valley
The tonyage
do you nymph alot?longer rod is the way to go,

Posted on: 2011/5/17 21:38

From Garnet Valley, PA
I picked up a 8'6" winston passport 4wt earlier this spring at Cabelas and I really like it. It is light and I think it is very easy to cast.

I also own an older orvis clearwater 6wt that is ok, but the newer models look much nicer. I can tell you from experiecne that Orivs does offer great service and will get you out of a jam when you do something really dumb (like fall down a bank into the truckee river). The winston rods come with a guarntee but I have not heard anyone comment on the claim process.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 21:48

From Eastern PA
Quote:

thetonyage wrote:
No 11 footers here, i was thinking 9' was a bit long for a 4 wt.

There is not necessarily a correlation between the length of a rod and the rod weight. I think for an all purpose go to rod a 9' is right on. This will allow great dry fly presentation, excellent high sticking and light streamers.

I have a 9ft 4wt and 10ft 4wt Winston BIIIx. The 9ft 4wt will do 99% of the things a 10ft will with 100% efficiency where a 10ft + rod is great for very specific application but really lacking in dry presentation, streamers, etc particularly in a 4 wt rod.

Orvis rods are nice and their service is great imo. One of the least expensive "warranties" out there at $25 for repairs. Winston is $60 which is a lot for a $200 rod imo. Granted in both of these cases "warranty" means you did something dumb and broke it. In true "warranty" issues such as failing wraps, messed up hardware or other defects which are an issue of the manufacturer, these charges should not apply.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 21:50

Not a huge fan of a & a really poor staff there, made a few really crappy assumptions, needless to say that day I was off to blow a paycheck and went to the evening hatch, which is an orvis dealer right down the street. Funny thing was they acted like they were the superior ones when the orvis shop was always friendly. It was quite some time ago but my money gets spent where there at least nice to take it.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 21:31

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Tiltaxp wrote:
Not a huge fan of a & a really poor staff there, made a few really crappy assumptions, needless to say that day I was off to blow a paycheck and went to the evening hatch, which is an orvis dealer right down the street. Funny thing was they acted like they were the superior ones when the orvis shop was always friendly. It was quite some time ago but my money gets spent where there at least nice to take it.

Pissed off certified gear head. Critical mistake.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 23:04

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
There is absolutely no way I could support the recommendation to buy a 10-11 ft 4wt as ones primary rod.
jdaddy I agree. I own a Cortland 10' 5 weight Brook series. I bought the rod strictly for nymph fishing to get that extra foot of reach. I would not recommend it for a primary rod however. More of a specialized tool.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 18:46

From Lehigh Valley
If you read my reply you would have noticed i mentioned nymphing ,also i catch fish with the brook on all styles ,dryflies,soft hackles,streamers and nymphs,and the rod is an absolute blast and also a steal,Its a 4 weight too, not a five,although a five is nice i can always use a 5 weight line if the conditions permit.and in places the 10 footer on the Lackawanna is wide enough to warrant the extra length.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2011/5/20 19:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com