Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Need advice on new reel

From Lehigh Valley
Andy - The original Battenkill disc drag reel is a proven classic. Like dryflyguy, I've got one that is older than dirt, and it works as good as the day I got it. It's a dependable workhorse that you'd be able to pass on to your kids.

My favorite thing about that reel, is that the spool is pretty narrow. This allows you to just reel line in and not worry about it making a "high spot" if you don't wind the line on level. The drag is still smooth on mine after many hundreds of fish, and it's guaranteed to stay that way forever. It ain't flashy, but it just works.

The ad gfen mentioned from the new Orvis shop (A Sporting Lifestyle) is on the last page of the Mid Atlantic Flyfishing Guide. Mention the ad for 10% off your purchase of $50 or more. That puts a Battenkill 5/6 at $80. With the BBS II on sale for $100, the added discount makes it $90 - that's a really good deal on a machined/anodized reel.

Good luck with your decision.....

Posted on: 2009/9/2 17:14

From Glenmoore PA
gfen and Heritage-Angler,

Thanks for the combined effort to save me some bucks. I think I'm headed over tomorrow after work to buy the reel. Seems too good to pass up. Once again, you guys have helped out me out, I definitely appreciate it. I will let you guys know how many fish I catch fish it this weekend

Andy

Posted on: 2009/9/2 19:02

From Spring City, Gaines
How old is your reel?
A friend of mine had that CSR reel and had problems with the drag. I believe that Cabela's swapped out the reel for the RLS.
If your reel is fairly new then they may help you out with a different reel. Can't hurt to ask.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 19:05

From Plymouth Meeting
if looking to save some dough, look for a classic click pawl reel on ebay. There are plently all the time. A lot of the reels are copies of the hardy drags. The daiwa 706 is an awesome reel. That thing is a tank. I've hand mine over 10 years with many bashes on rocks on it's still silk smooth.

Other vintage reels that stand up very well and might actually go up in value over the years are Young's older reels like the Young Beaudex, Pirdex and Condex. As well as the hardy copies like the heddon 300 series.

Just some extra options for you to think of.

edit (just did a quick search and there is a near mint daiwa 706 on ebay now. Bet it goes for under $30.)

Posted on: 2009/9/2 19:44

From Glenmoore PA
FishOnCamp,

The reel is about two years old. I may have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Andy

Posted on: 2009/9/2 21:01

From SEPA
There's a special place in Hell for everyone who snipes a classic click-pawl Orvis, Bean, or classic Pflueger reel from under me.

Once I get my reel, ebay is fair game again. ;)

Posted on: 2009/9/2 23:47

From Ohio
I'd definitely check with cabelas....they often have a two year limit on returns...they may take an exchange. The CSR was a bad reel. My best friend had one do the same thing as you describe. The newer cabelas reels seem to be better. I have always been a fan of their prestige plus reels. They also have their new Watershed Reels on sale.....made in the USA by someone and look very much like Ross reels.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 7:00

From Glenmoore PA
I think Im still going to get the battenkill, but I may try to return the cabelas reel as well. Wouldnt mind having a second backup reel, plus Im trying to convince a freind at work to start fly fishing, so offering him some equipement to use might help.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 7:15

From Plymouth Meeting
SO you're the one sniping all those Martin made Bean reels from me!

JK, i don't even have the money for those right now!

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:20

From Bozeman
gfen,

I am in the market. I'll be nice and hold off for a bit.

We honestly have probably been bidding against each other.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:21

From Plymouth Meeting
early battenkills were actually Young Beaudex's. Just sayin.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:22

From SEPA
Possibly, although I've been pretty slackadaisical about my approach this time out.

I don't actually need the reel, I just want the reel. Ergo, I can afford to be somewhat picky. That, combined with the lessons from the last time I played this game, has kept me pretty limited to what I'm looking at (I've barely looked at clicker CFOs, talk about inflated resale value!), and the Pflueger lineup is so long-winded, I've got a set of features I'm essentially insisting on which moves me to the head of the money class.

After checking HA's Bean Streamlight, though, I've redoubled my efforts on trying to pick one up.. Yet, there's just not alot of them on ebay.

On the other hand, we have Hardy. I'm confused by Hardy reels. People want them, desire them and crave them...but yet it seems to be the most popular of the classics on ebay. There's loads of 'em, and they're all going for, to me, obscene money. I'm curious to know if there's actually a bonafide interest in them, or if the entire market is built up around the myth of them, and in fact there's a damned warehouses full of NOS models and no one's realized it yet.

I'd certainly appreciate one of those falling into my lap at a decent price, with an agate line guard, please.

Such a huge hole in the marketplace, no one makes a quality clicker reel anymore except Pflueger. You'd think Orvis would churn out a Battenkill Heritage Edition or something. The only clicker in their lineup is a limited edition (200 units) gold CFO123.

Actually, that's not true. TFO supposedly makes one, but I haven't seen one in a shop. I'm also less than enthused because of the phrase that inevitably follows every TFO product's rousing endorsement. That phrase? "For the price." What a turn-off.

What's this has to do with Surveyor's original topic? Watch me bring 'er back round: If its not gonna kill you, pay the little more for the BBS over the cast Battenkill. It will last longer, feel better, and hopefully provide someone a momento of you long after you pass.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 10:45

From Glenmoore PA
gefen,

Im going at lunch for the BBS II. Cant wait.

Andy

Posted on: 2009/9/3 11:16

From Plymouth Meeting
sorry, didn't mean to hijack the tread. Just wanted to state that there are a lot of undervalued vintage reels out there just because they don't have the latest disc drag systems (which most don't need anyway) and look like spinning hubcaps.

BTW, there is one other inexpensive click reel still being manufactured. The big brother of the daiwa 706/708. The daiwa lochmor. Not a fan of its looks but it has the classic hardy type click pawl drag system.

I can't figure the hardy stuff out there either. Only thing i can think of is that the same reels have been produced for so long with little updates that there are just a huge number of them out there. Kind of like the pfleugers. And people pay huge amounts of $$$ if they're made in england 'cause people get antsy about asian reels.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 11:42

From Gunpowder River, MD
I use an older Hardy LRH...I also have a LRH multiplier...The drag is so smooth...You might put 2 or 3 in it, but unlike a lot of other reels the hardy's will hold their value..If you come across one that's a little beat up, grab it...they're the best for "fishing"...Best all around trout reel IMO.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 11:53

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com