March Brown Rods

P

pwk5017

Anyone ever cast/touch/see one before? Curious about how they perform considering most are 6pc rods.

Patrick

I own two - one is a 6'6" 3WT Hidden Waters rod that I bought as a backup backpacking rod. The other is a 9' 8WT Legacy rod that I bought as a backup steelhead rod. The first is adequate for what its intended for; I fish it from time to time. The Legacy I think I regret buying. It just feels like its going to fall apart. However, its not so much that either is a bad rod but more to what you allude to, in that they are six piece rods. I'm willing to trade a bit of performance for packability, and I guess given the scenario where I had walked three miles up or down stream on Elk Creek and I broke my primary rod, I'd be happy to be casting the Legacy.

Their customer support is excellent - the Hidden Waters rod had a definite issue where the blank went into the cork, in that the rod wobbled, maybe due to a lack of glue. Regardless, they sent me a new rod, no questions asked.

I would not pay full retail for the rods, but I managed to pick mine up from Sierra Trading Post on sale, so in that regard, they are worth what I paid for them.

not exactly a glowing report. However, it is what I expected. The only reason I was considering the company is because of a deep discount. Still, I am not sure if 50% is enough for me to consider them. Some of those models are the same price as my loomis! Glad I asked.

I have a Hidden Waters 5wt 8'6" and it's one of my better sticks. It's a primary rod when I have to take a plane. It's responsive and very well designed. If you weren't looking, you would think it was a 2 piecer.

tl
les

Back